Take Me to the Races

When a Stranger Calls

I was sitting at the kitchen island drinking a coffee with dad and reading the newspaper. “This article is bullshit.” I throw down Alice Cooper’s latest misinform article.
“I don’t know why you read Alice’s articles, it only upsets you.” He said, not looking up from the sport section.
“I still want to be somewhat informed.” I got up to pour me another cup of French vanilla coffee. “She’s saying Dilton Doiley got jump and stabbed by a couple of Serpents for no reason. Doiley an ass, I’m sure they had a good reason.” I sat back down and grab the funnies, Hagar the Horrible always cheer me up.
“Just because someone an ass doesn’t mean you can stab them.” He shot me an unimpressed look from over his newspaper.
“Just because a couple of people do bad things, doesn’t mean you can demonize a whole group of people.” I grumble back. As I predicted Hagar was able to get a giggle out of me.
Archie walks into the kitchen, puts his hands down on the island to lean on. “I did what Weatherbee asked. Wrote an apology letter, posted a new video, and apologize some more.” He told the room.
“So this Red Circle business, it's over.” Dad asking, making sure it was really over and it wasn’t just for show. Archie nods his head. “I'm happy to hear it. I missed my son.” Dad gave him a big hug and kiss on the forehead. He walks of the room humming that things seem to be looking up.
I stare at Archie, who was looking down at the breakfast island. “It is over or in hiatus?”
“It’s over, Abby.” He bent over to look me in the eye. I narrow my eyes, reading his facial expression to see if I was going to believe him or not. He use that opportunity stole the cup of coffee right out of my hands.
“Hey! Thief!” I yell at his back as he hurries out of the kitchen.

A few days had passed since Archie ended the Red Circle. Things seem to be changing rapidly with each passing day. I heard from the Ghoulies that Jughead was going through the trials to become a serpent and that put a stone in my stomach. I always knew that soon or later the Ghoulies and Serpents were going to have to clash or band together. With Tall Boy being a mole, I hope it would be the later. Jughead being involved now, I knew they would clash. He was never the type to go along to get along. That means that things were about to become complicated and personal for me. I honestly didn’t know what I would do when the time came.
I got into the red truck with a glum look on my face. “Still sad about baby boy Jones? I thought you be happy with this floating around.” Malachai drop the Gold and Blue in my lap. Alice Cooper’s Secret Serpent Past was in bold letter on the front.
I smile down at the mug shot of a young Alice Cooper. “It amazing isn’t it, Alice Cooper was a serpent. Makes you think that maybe all those articles were self loathing of some sort.” I open the paper to read the article over again.
“I was thinking more like trying to cover up.” He shrug pull away from the curb and drove down the road.
“I like my theory better.” I turn the page to read Tomoko’s article. He let out a snort that I ignore as I focus on the paper. I told her I would look for flaws. Since, she believed that everything could be improve I was hoping to find something. But, as her bias best friend it was hard.
I look up from the article when I heard the engine shut off. I look up to see a red and black sign that read Southside’s Cafe. I got out of the truck and hurry inside. I’ve been craving their egg wrap. By just the look of the place, you would never go in. None of the tables or chairs match, there were bars on the window and the wallpaper was faded and peeling off. All the effort they didn’t put in appearance, went into their food. “Did I bring Abby or Vegas with me?” He laughs, trailing behind. I ignore him to give my order at the counter. After he place his order and paid, we sat down at one of the tables.
He sat across from be staring at me with a serious expression. The one he wore when he was handing out order to his Ghoulies. “What wrong?” I swallow the lump in my throat, there was no way Jughead would have cause trouble already.
“I’ve been avoid getting you involved with the Ghoulies for protection. But with my business getting more intertwined with the Northside, I need you to be my eyes and ears over there.” He grips the sides of the table. This was obviously something he was torn about.
“You want me to become a Ghoulie? You’re going to tell me everything?” My eyes widen in shock and fear.
“No. Not a ghoulie. You are my girlfriend and friend of the gang. I’m not telling you everything just yet. But I do need you inform enough to help. My business opportunity is with the Lodges.” He reveals this information like it was only a small piece of the puzzle.
“What? Like my brother’s girlfriend’s family.” My jaw drops. I had some many questions, but I didn’t know if I was ready for answers.
“That’s the one. There is going to be a rich boy coming to town. His name is Nick St. Clair. His family needs to invest in the Lodges.” He explains the problem at hand.
“What can I do?” I tilt my head in wonder. I quickly put it back up; maybe I was spending too much time with Vegas.
“Make sure that Lodge’s daughter show him a good time. We want him to have a reason to come back and visit.” He explains my mission.
“What if I can’t make Veronica do that?” I bite my lip. It was easy to get her to do something for my brother, but we weren’t close enough of me to manipulate her about much else.
“Then you bring him to me and we’ll throw him a Ghoulie party that put his celebrity one’s to shame.” He smirks, positive that he would be able to make the rich boy want to live in Riverdale if he had too.
“As long as we have a plan B,” I nod my head. The bell ding, letting us know that breakfast was ready. He got up to grab the tray from counter. The rest of breakfast went as it always did with Malachai, yummy food and interesting conversation.

“Abby, come I want you to meet someone.” Veronica waves me over. I walk over to see she was with my brother, Kevin, and a stranger. He was handsome with his short curly hair, a strong jaw line, and a cleft chin. The way he was dress and the arrogant aura around him, I was betting he was Nick St. Clair.
“This is one of my dear friends from New York, Nick St. Clair. Nicky this is Abby, Archie’s sister.” She introduced us.
“Don’t be rude Ronnie, I’m sure she much more than Archie’s sister.” He reaches out to grab my hand and give it a kiss. I gave him a fake smile. There wasn’t something about him that was unauthentic, like a wolf trying to charm you into his cave to devour you. “Veronica is about to introduce me to the band she is in, the Pussycat. Will you come with us?” He lowers my hand, but didn’t let it go.
I resist the urge to pull my hand back and make an excuse that I had to meet up with my friends. “Sure, I’ll come along.” I smile at him. It seem that my choice to be social shock the other locals in the group.
“Come on Veronica, I want to see these musical geniuses.” Nick look confused by Veronica shock face. I imagine he seduce plenty of girls in front of her and couldn’t see why I would be any different.
“Let’s go.” She leads us to the music classroom that Pussycat also use to rehearse in. Nick only let off of my hand when he saw the three beautiful band members that were waiting for us. “Hello, you girls must be the Pussycats. Veronica has told me so much about you, although she didn’t tell me how beautiful you all were.” He went over and gave what I’m sure is supposed to be a charming smile. I couldn’t help but think he look like a cartoon villain. I was surprised that the independent girls were blushing under his stare. “Excuse, my rudeness I’m just excited to meet Ronnie’s new friends. I’m Nick St. Clair.” He stuck his hand out to shake their hands one by one.
“Nick, this is Josie, Melody, and Valerie.” Veronica points at each girl.
I sat down on a chair next to Archie as the Pussycats began singing one of their original songs.
When they finish Nick stood up and clapped. “You Pussycats are pearls before the swine of Riverdale. You all have to come to the party I'm hosting tonight in your honor. Let's say ten o'clock, my hotel room at the Five Seasons.” The girls giggled, eating up his words like starving children.
“Did somebody say party?” Cheryl leans against the door frame seductively. When she saw that she had him dazzled she did a runaway walk over to him. Pussycat dolls got out of her way and Veronica sat down on the other side of Archie. “Hi. I'm Riverdale's Resident It Girl, Cheryl Blossom. You must be Veronica's old school chum I keep hearing about.” She gracefully stuck out her hand.
“Nick St. Clair.” He shake her hand.
“Now that's a name I can get behind.” She smiles flirtatiously. Veronica and Kevin shot each other unimpressed looks. Archie raise his eyebrows and shook his head.
“More like a name you can scream while you’re under him.” I roll my eyes causing Kevin to cover his mouth to stop from laughing, Veronica to hiss my name, and Archie to give my shoulder a smack.
“Ten o'clock, you said? I'll be there at 11:00.” She glares at me momentarily before walking out.

“So what you think?” I spin around in front of my laptop. I was face timing with Malachai. I had on a mini black asymmetric ponte dress. It had a high slit that went to my mid thigh on one side. The top had four straps, two over each shoulder and two that end in-between my breast. I had on a pair of qupid tubular platform heels. I accessorized with silver hoop earrings and rhinestone bracelets. I curl the ends of my hair. I paint my lips red, cheeks pink, and my eyes black and brown.
“I think you should change clothes.” He glares at me through the screen.
“Why? What’s wrong with it?” I ran my hands along my sides.
“It hugs all your curves. I don’t want that rich boy to see that much of your legs.” He put his hands in front of his chest to showcase how big my boobs look. I roll my eyes, I was busty. What did he want me to wear a tent.
“I thought we wanted to give him a reason to come back.” I bent over to let him see right down my dress.
He let out a feral growl. “You better stick by your brother tonight. Let the Northside sluts that you said were all over him, give him a memorable night.” I giggle, getting excited at his jealousy. “One of my guys said he sold jingle jangle to a Northside jock who was bragging about being the hook up for Clair. Don’t do any of that shit while you’re there. In fact, stay sober. The more I hear about this guy the less I trust him.”
“I promise I’ll stay sober, because he is definitely a wolf in a sheep costume.” I nod in agreement.
“Abby! Come on, let’s go! Veronica’s waiting.” Archie pounds on the door.
“Bye babe.” I blow him a kiss and shut down the laptop. “I’m coming. Stop knocking.” I yell to Archie, grabbing my black Chanel clutch that had my phone and some money in it. I open the door, glaring at him for the knocking never stop.
His jaw drops at the sight of me. “Why are your boobs in my face?” He bent over and made like he was throwing up.
“Fuck off.” I push him as I walk past him, making him fall over. He sent a curse at me as he got off the floor and follows me down stairs. We got into the Lodge’s black BMW.
“Hello Archie.” She gave my brother a kiss. “Hey Abby, you look beautiful.” She leans forward to smile at me.
“She looks like a hooker.” He grumbles.
“Thank you Ronnie, you look beautiful too. And I’m more like a high class call girl.” I smile at her and stuck my tongue out at him. He made a gagging sound while Veronica and her driver laugh. Archie and Veronica talk in hush voices for the rest of the ride to Five Seasons.
Veronica knocks on the Clair’s penthouse door. “Welcome, come in. Get ready to have the night of your life.” Nick throw open the door dramatically. I roll my eyes as I enter the room. I saw that we were the last to arrive.
“Abby, I save you a seat.” Reggie pats the spot next to him on the love seat. He put his arm on the back of my seat as soon as I sat down. “Want me to get you a beer?” He slurs, letting me know that he was already feeling good.
“Did Veronica tell you guys about the time we crash a movie premiere?” Nick asks, looking excited to tell the story.
“No, she didn’t. Why don’t you tell us about it?” Cheryl gave him a dreamy stare. He smiles at her, before telling his story.
It was the first of many Nick and Veronica New York adventure stories. “And then, we walk into the Gilded Lily, and there's Gal! Again!” He brags like he was close friends with the celebrity. Veronica laughs recalling the memory fondly. I roll my eyes as I lean back, eyeing the drink in Reggie’s hand. I wish I didn’t promise Malachai I would stay sober, because I need a drink to pretend to be interested in this guy.
"Gal?" Archie look confused and bored. I didn’t blame him. All these stories were mediocre, even with the name dropping.
“Gadot, keep up Archie.” Cheryl glares at my brother for interrupting.
“Wonder woman.” I told him, glaring at the other female redhead. You think for a rich girl she wouldn’t be so easy to impress.
“Archiekins, a refill, s'il vous plait?” Veronica held her cup out to him. Archie gladly took it wanting to escape if only for a few minutes.
“Forget the teetotaling. Let's move on to something with a little more kick.” Nick opens his jacket to reveal a pocket full of Jingle Jangle.
“Is that…?” Cheryl looks down at the drug with curiosity.
“Jingle jangle? Why, yes it is.” He said like it was suppose to impress us. I roll my eyes like it hard to get your hands on drugs.
“I hooked him up.” Reggie points to the drugs with pride. I narrow my eyes at him. Malachai definitely didn’t know that he was dealing jingle jangle.
“Tasters? Who's up first?” Nick stood up waving a few around in the air.
“Dude, we told you, we're not…” Archie shook his head.
“Archie, don't take this the wrong way, but you are an epic buzz kill.” Nick laughs. Reggie jaw drop like it was the worst thing to be call. “Come on, Vee like back in the day. Aren't you supposed to be showing me a good time, per daddy's orders?” He walks over to her. She avoid look at him, until the last sentence left his mouth. She snaps her head to look at him, remembering the mission she was on.
“Down, Nicky, I'm just getting going. And now that you mention it, I, in fact, wouldn't mind a little sugar to spice up this party.” She took a stick from his hand. Archie gave her a look of disappointment. Nick laugh, sitting down next to her. “What? Every other night it's burgers and milkshakes. Can't we just cut loose and pretend we're normal, for once?” She defend herself against everyone look of disbelief. I scoff I had no idea that drugs were more normal then burgers and milkshakes.
“I'm in.” Cheryl winks at Nick.
“Me, too,” Reggie pumps his fist in the air.
“Kevin?” Cheryl held out her drink. He clink his glass with her, showing that he was willing to join.
“Pussycats, care to partake?” Nick look over at them. They nod in agreement.
“Baby doll?” Reggie looks down at me.
“I’ll be the designated driver. Besides, I want to be the sober one that gets to tell all of you the embarrassing thing you did tomorrow.” I held out my hand. Reggie laugh, digging his keys out his pocket and dropping them in my hand.
“You could always spend the night here.” Nick wink at me. Reggie, Veronica, and Archie gave him a harsh glare. “Sorry, didn’t mean to imply deflowering Riverdale’s sweetheart.” He laughs, holding his hands in the air in surrender.
“Betty?” Veronica smiles at her best friend.
“No, thanks,” She shook her head.
“Come on, it'll be fun.” She cheerful tries to convince her.
“I said no, Vee.” Betty snaps.
“Okay, relax, Betty, this is strictly voluntary.” Veronica rolling her eyes.
“Perhaps we should decamp to the bedroom, so as not to corrupt the country mice.” Nick lean in to say to Veronica. He looks over at my brother.
“You know what? I changed my mind. I'm in.” Archie sat down on the table by Veronica. I roll my eyes. I couldn’t believe he fell right into Nick’s trap.
“Bravo, Archie Andrews! There's that good, strong Riverdale stock I've been jonesing for!” He smiles. Veronica smiles, she reaches over to give his leg a squeeze.
Nick pass out the Jingle Jangle to everyone but Betty and I. Everyone look at each other before dropping the drugs down their throats.
I walk over to take a seat next to the other sober person. “I can’t believe all of them fell for such pathetic peer pressure.” Betty shook her head. It was funny to watch Cheryl, Kevin, and Melody make like it affected them right away. I knew for a fact that the drug took a few minutes to kick in.
“It’s entertaining to watch.” I laugh. I look over to see that Betty look more troubled then upset. “Don’t worry Betty, I’ll make sure that none of them get hurt or have sex and get home alright.” I gave her a weak smile.
“No, if they want to take drugs, let them do things they regret.” She shook her head, glaring at all of them.
“I’m going to play DJ.” I connect my phone to the speakers and played High by Sir Sly. Melody and Valerie were dancing together with drinking in the hand, while Nick was pouring more Jingle Jangle in his mouth. Josie and Reggie were making out on a couch. Veronica and Archie were dirty dancing. Kevin was awkwardly dancing around on a couch next to Cheryl who was flipping her hair around. While I was getting more amused watching them, Betty was getting more upset.
“Come on, Betty, don't be such a wallflower! You're boyfriendless for a night! Have some fun!” Veronica tries to pull her out of her seat, but she wasn’t budging.
“Like you, you mean?” Betty spat at her. Veronica stood up straight in shock and confusion. “I was gonna say you're making a fool of yourself. Acting like some privileged, shallow, airhead party girl.” Betty stood up from her seat. She spoke with little emotions.
“Excuse me?” Veronica laughs in disbelief.
“I mean, it's all recycled banter and plunging necklines and throwing shade to distract us all from the fact that there's really nothing going on underneath.” She let out a dry laugh.
“Betty, what the hell are you saying?” Archie look confused as to why she was attacking his girlfriend.
“What we're all thinking. That the only reason Veronica hangs out with us is circumstance.
She's not our friend. The minute someone from her trashy past shows up, she starts using us for drugs or music or distraction, and why should we be surprised? Like father, like daughter, right?” She arches her eyebrow.
“You better shut it down, Betty.” Veronica glare at her.
“Or what, Veronica, you'll have your dad put a hit on me? Or maybe you'll do it yourself, because you may have fooled all of them, but not me. Try to reform all you want, but you're a bad person, Veronica. You'll always be a bad person.” She took a step toward her, letting her know that she wasn’t scared of her.
“Why don't you just go, then, if I'm such a monster?” Veronica points to the door. Betty shrugs walking out of the room leaving everyone looking surprisingly sober.
“Ronnie?” Archie put a hand on her shoulder.
“I'm fine. Obviously, she's not.” She glares at the spot Betty was standing in. My brother looks between her and the door. “What? You wanna go after her, be my guest. But I'll be damned if I'm chasing Betty down after... whatever that was.” She shook her head and pushes my brother’s hand off her. “In fact, Abby turn the music up, will you?” She turns to me. I nod my head, turning the volume up.
The party continues on as I watch in amusement and played upbeat songs to watch them attempt to dance. Nick plops himself down next to me. “You are very unusual. I never met a girl like you before.” He pokes my nose.
“Does that line work?” I laugh, shaking my head.
“No, I mean it. I don’t even need to use lines. I brag about expensive things, fancy events, and celebrities. Most girls are willing to drop their panties for that or at least look entertained. But, you roll your eyes at every story.” He imitates me by rolling his eyes. My cheeks get flush as I didn’t realize he noticed. “The really peculiar thing is that girls, who don’t fall for that, go for affection individual attention. But you don’t seem interest in Reggie at all. So the question is, are you a lesbian?” He look up and down like I would have I love pussy written somewhere on me.
“I’m not a lesbian.” I wanted to yell at him for being so full of himself. If a girl wasn’t interest in him at all then she had to be gay. But, I bite my tongue remembering that this guy’s family needs to invest.
“Then what gets Abigail Andrews attention?” He leans in, puckering his lips as he stares at my chest.
“Genuine interest in a relationship,” I got up, feeling the need to scrub my skin raw from his stare.
I yelp as he grabs my arm to yank me down. “I have a genuine interest.” He climbs on top of me to grind his hips. I gasp as I felt his erection dig into my lower stomach.
I raise my hand to dig my nails into his throat, not hard enough to draw blood but enough for it to be consider a warning. “You need to get off me right now, or I’ll digging in and screaming.” I only let go when I saw fear in his eyes.
“You think a fat bitch like you would be happy for the action.” He growls as he got off me and made his way to Cheryl who was dancing with Melody and Val.
I felt tears swell up in my eyes as I straight my dress out. I look around the party to meet Kevin’s concern eyes. I shot him a weak smile to say that I was alright.

Malachai bite my lip as I pull away from the kiss to catch my breath. “Nicky’s party was shit and they still invest. Guess you didn’t need to go.” He leans back on the couch we were sitting on. I could barely hear him as there was a party going on around us to celebrate the investing. Since the Ghoulies couldn’t celebrate at the Lodge’s open house party, they were having one of their own.
I pick up my beer from the table and took a sip. “What happen at that party?” He narrowed his eyes at me.
“What do you mean?” I concentrated on peeling the label off the bottle.
“Every time I mention it, you can’t look me in the eye. Now, what happen?” He grabs my chin to force me to look at him.
I bite my lips as I thought about Nick forcing himself on me. After the shock wore off, I was more then ready to tell Malachai. I was excited to make a revenge plan that look like an accident. But, then the thought of what if he didn’t believe me or worst blames me pop into my head. He did tell me to change and stay by my brother and I did neither. The more I thought about it, I was giving Nick mix signals. On our first meeting, I let him kiss and hold my hand. What if he thought I was playing hard to get at the party? He’s a definitely a womanizer, but that doesn’t make him a molester or a rapist. Could I unleash my gang leader boyfriend on a guy for misreading confusing signals?
“You didn’t tell me that you had Northside dealers.” I blurted out.
“I don’t have Northside dealers.” He shook his head.
“It seems like a lot of people are doing Jingle Jangle and their getting it from a few selective people all on the Northside.” I told him.
“I suspect some people of dealing, because they want to buy such big amounts. But, I’m not going to stop them. That would be bad business.” He shrugs.
“What’s bad business is a Northsider snitching on you when they get caught.” I snap. Sometime, he only thought about the instant rewards and not about the pending consequences.
“How many times do I have to tell you to not worry about my business?” He hisses in my face.
“This is why I didn’t want to talk about it? You’re the one that drag it out of me.” I turn to face away from him.
“Don’t blame this on me. You’re the one who ruining a big day for me.” I felt the couch move as he went into the crowd of Ghoulies who were dancing in the middle of the warehouse.