Take Me to the Races

House of the Devil

I let out an ear piercing scream. “MY EYES! MY EYES BURN! CLOSE YOUR DAMN DOOR!” I kept my eyes shut as I clumsy felt for the door knob to slam Archie’s bedroom door shut. I open my eyes now that the disturbing view was gone, but the image burns in my brain. A naked Veronica and Archie attacking each other like animals in heat. A feminine moan and deep groan made me back away from the door and hurry back to my room.
“This is what I get for needing to use the bathroom when I get up.” I rub my eyes. I shook my head trying to will the horrifying experience way. I didn’t want it to ruin today, because today is the day that I’m going to visit Malachai in prison for the first time. I have never been so excited and nervous at the same time. So, nervous that last night I planned my outfit and researched the rules of a prison visits.
From the phone calls with Malachai, I decide that a sexy outfit would be more torture than fun for him. Laid out on the bed was a t-shirt that said monster make the best boyfriend with Frankenstein hold his bride on it and blue skinny jeans. I brush my hair and did my makeup, before changing into my chosen outfit. I slip on a pair socks and black converse. I grab my phone and land yard that had my keys on it off my dresser and made my way out of the house. I got into the 1940s Red Ford Tudor Street Rod and drove to Shankshaw prison.
I was getting out of the truck when Alice Cooper’s car pulls up by mine. “Does your father know that you’re at a prison?” She narrowed her eyes in suspicion.
“Does your husband know you’re picking up F.P. from prison?” I smirk, raising an eyebrow at her.
“How do you know we’re picking up my dad?” Jughead rolls down the back window.
“You don’t think word gets around in prison. Gossip is one of the few luxuries they have.” I roll my eyes at the conspiracy theorist. I still haven’t forgiven him for ambushing me at my locker. He didn’t even tell me sorry when he found out he was wrong.
“We’re going to take F.P. to Pops, if you want to come?” Betty invites me, making her boyfriend and mother give her a sharp look.
“I would love to Betty, but by then visiting hours would be over. So I’ll be getting inside and you can get Mr. Jones. I’m sure he’s ready to get out of here.” I walk backwards as I wave them off.
After I sign in and got patted down, I was lead into the visiting room. I sigh as I took a seat. I was hoping I would at least get to hug him, but by the thick glass between us I knew that wasn’t going to happen.
The door on the other end open, I held my breath as I watch Malachai be guided in by a guard. I look him over as the guard uncuffs him. He was wearing a gray button up shirt with SP-54891 stitch on it, underneath was a white shirt, cheap looking gray elastic pants, and white sneakers. He even made a prison outfit look deliciously good.
I rip the phone off of the wall when he sat down, making him chuckle. “I didn’t think it was possible but my Queen may have missed me more than I miss her.” He picks up the phone to talk to me.
“Are you saying you didn’t miss me?” I whine.
“I think what I said implied that I miss you.” He gave me a cocky smirk. I thought back on his words and they did.
“It’s boring without you.” Without him it was back to the same mundane routine of going to school and coming home to cook and clean. I couldn’t expect Trev and Tomoko to entertain me; they had lives of their own. Sometime I did go along with Tomoko when she did her investigative reporting.
“I don’t know babe, I’m getting use to the boring lifestyle in here. Think when I get out I’m going to settle down.” He snickers, running a hand through his curls. I stare at his hand wishing it was my own touching him and wanting his hand to be on me all at the same time. “Are you sexually frustrated?” He whispers so the guard by the door wouldn’t hear him. It was an empty gesture, considering if the guard wanted to he could listen to this recorded conversation later.
“Like I said it’s been boring without you.” I purred.
“What, your fingers can’t fill your needy cunt like my cock?” He hums, licking his lips as he stares at me. I would have worn a sexier outfit if I knew he was going to be a tease.
“No, they’re not even close. Maybe I’ll swing by your house and get the vibrator. Or better yet go buy a dildo or a pulsator.” I smirk, knowing that would get to him.
“Don’t you dare, we are going to try the pulsator together!” He slams his hand against the glass. “Hey don’t make me cut this meeting short!” The guard warns him.
I put my hand up on the glass against him. I giggle as he rolls his eyes at me. “You’re so damn cliché.” He put his hand down. I sigh as I look at the clock on the wall behind him. Our time was running out anyways. “Are you being safe out there with the black hood on the loose?” He narrowed his eyes. Since Riverdale fail the maniac’s test, he been obsessing about safety.
“I think so, but you wouldn’t.” The fact that I didn’t get escorted here, he would consider a dangerous act.
“That what you think, I had a Ghoulie follow you here and he’ll be following you back.” He winks. I gasp, not believing I didn’t notice someone tailing me. “Didn’t notice? That just proves that you need the protection.” He look smug about being right.
“Alright, wrap it up.” The guard told us.
“I love you, babe.” He leans forward to push his lips against the glass.
“I love you too, but I ain’t putting my lips on this glass. Who knows when was the last time they clean it?” I shook my head. I watch with disappointment as the guard came and took him away.

“What can I get you guys?” I smile at the elderly couples that were a regular at Pops. I wrote down their order. “I’ll put this in. Don’t want the Miss to be late to her knitting club.” They beam up at with me for remembering a detail of their life.
I turn around and nearly collided with F.P. “Sorry little red didn’t think you were going to turn around so quickly.” He raises the dirty dishes up to prevent me from running into them.
I blush at the childhood nickname he gave me. “Its fine, I got to get use to someone else working the floor the same time was me.” I shrug as I walk around him to go behind the counter to put the order in. It was an awkward when I first walk in to see him in a Pop’s uniform. It was even more awkward when Pops told me I had to train him. But, he was professional and caught on to everything quickly.
A loud clunk echo through the dinner made me turn around. Strawberry milkshake was all over the floor. Cheryl was glaring at F.P., if that wasn’t enough proof to let me know she did it on purpose Josie’s shock face confirm it. “Clean that up, Plebe. The way you did my brother's blood,” She gave him a death stare, letting him know that she would make him lose his job if he didn’t.
Jughead got up to march over to them. “Jug, don't.” He put his hand up to stop him. “We'll get you another milkshake right away, on the house.” He bent over and pick up the glass.
“My dad used to be a king, a leader of men. Now he's being demeaned by the likes of Cheryl Blossom. He deserves to be honored, not humiliated.” Jughead rants. I walk away not wanting to listen to his pity party, mostly because it was making me think. It was crazy how fast people can change. If this was early October before Jughead went to Southside High, the news of his dad going straight would have put him over the moon. Now in late November he was pouting like a baby over it.
In some ways I sympathies with him, we both had bad men in our lives that we love. Despite of all Malachai’s sin, it would tear me up inside to see karma come his way especially if he was trying to turn his life around like F.P. was.
I made my rounds and went back behind the counter to pick up my table’s order. “Abby, we are going to have a retirement party for F.P. you should come.” Betty smile.
“I don’t think that a good idea.” I shook my head, wondering what was going on in that blonde genius mind.
“Why not?” She tilts her head.
“Because she is a Ghoulie’s old lady, it would be dangerous for her to be in a bar full of Serpents.” Jugs point out of the obvious to her. I wasn’t sure if he was concern for me or didn’t want to me ruining his dad’s party.
“It a retirement party for F.P., they wouldn’t do anything to disrespect him. You should definitely come.” I groan internal at the look of determination in Betty’s eyes. I’ve never seen that look and not seen her get her way.
“Come to what?” F.P. leans against the counter.
“We’re going to throw you a retirement party and we were inviting Abby.” She informs him.
“Thanks guys.” He gave Jughead’s shoulder a squeeze. “You should definitely come.” He smiles at me.
“Are we going to ignore the risk of taking Malachai’s girlfriend at the Whyte Wyrm?” Jug look at his girlfriend and father with a dumbfounded expression.
“She isn’t just his girlfriend. She’s also my childhood best friend’s daughter. She’s practically my niece. I want her there. I’ll make sure everyone knows that.” He grabs a rag to wipe down a table.
“Looks like you’re coming.” Betty smile brightly at me.

“I can give you a ride tonight if you want.” Archie lean against my door frame. “I know you got the red truck now, but we would be saving gas and helping the ecosystem.” I stare at him. He was extending me an olive branch. While I was still mad at him, he was my brother and it was exhausting holding a grudge against someone you live with.
“You’re not picking up Ronnie?” I ask. They been attached by the privates lately I was surprised she wasn’t here right now.
“No, I’m meeting her there.” He shook his head, looking at the floor. I hated that even though he betray me, I still wanted to be there for him.
“Sure, I’ll catch a ride with you. I almost done getting ready, I just got to change.” I smile. I wasn’t sure that showing up with Malachai’s truck to the Whyte Wyrm was a good idea anyways. He smiles back at me and close my door, so that I could change my clothes.
I already curl my hair and did a brown/white smokey eye with pinks lipstick and blush. I put on a white lace bustier crop top and a red mini leather wrap skirt. I slide on a fitted black leather jacket and put on the same boots I wore to the street race.
I walk out to the living room where Archie was waiting for me. “Do you have to go to every party half naked?” He groans.
“Archie, it’s a biker party. I will be one of most covered up girls there.” I assure him. The bar had a few stripper poles in it, so I’m sure no one was going to be looking at me. “Let go celebrate F.P. retirement.” I drag him off the couch, out of the house, and to the car.
The first few minutes of the drive was full of tension and Archie starting to speak and stopping, it made me regret not driving myself. “Spit it out already.” I snap after his third time of stumbling over his words.
“Did Malachai ever tell you he loved you?” He stare right ahead. It was like he didn’t want to have this conversation but he had too.
“Yes, he says it all the time.” I shrug. Malachai was a very affectionate person, which was surprising because he never got any growing up.
“Did you say it back to him the first time?” He side eyed me. It clicked for me what was going on, someone said I love you and the other didn’t.
“No. We were only going out two weeks the first time he said it.” I remember the first time he said it, I was thinking of an escape plans. I thought only crazy people get attached to another person that fast.
“How did he take it?” He looks nervous to hear the answer.
“As a challenge, he said it didn’t matter if I didn’t love him in the moment, because I will in the future.” I smile as I thought of the moment fondly. “So who didn’t say it, you or Veronica?” I ask, done dancing around what we were really talking about.
“Veronica. She been avoiding talking about it, but I’m going to make her talk about it tonight.” He nods in determination, although he still looks nervous. He reminds me of someone who had to do a class presentation that they need a good grade in, but they only Google the topic minutes before needing to do it.
“I’m going to level with you Archie, when Malachai first said I love you, I freak out. I was thinking about how to break up with him. The only reason I didn’t was, because he didn’t burden me. He let me get there in my own time. The fact that she hasn’t broken up with you yet means that she wants to be with you. If you put pressure on her to say it back, she’s going to bolt. She’s going to think that something wrong with her or the relationship because she can’t say it.” I warned him. My brother love this girl, I didn’t want him to mess that up for himself.
“Dad said the same thing. I want to say that to her, but it does bother me.” He pulls into the parking lot of the bar.
I sigh. Archie could be so frustrating to talk to. He goes the roundabout way to ask for advice and then won’t even take it. “Do what you want, but you might leave this party single.” I got out of the pickup truck as soon as it was put in park.
Archie and I went in and head straight for the bar. “What can I get you guys?” Toni came over to us.
“We’ll have two coca colas.” He orders for us.
“Why, only one of us is driving.” I said in a teasing tone, but I was serious. I need some alcohol to calm my nerves about being in enemy’s territory.
“I’ll make your a hard.” She winks at me before going to make our drinks. She hand them over to us and we walk to a table.
“Archie,” Jughead walk over to us.
“Hey.” He stood up, look more awkward about being here than me.
“Hey. I just did a sweep of the perimeter. You good?” He raises an eyebrow at my brother tense stance. I narrow my eyes wondering why he needed to do a sweep of the perimeter.
“Yeah, Ronnie's almost here. We're going to clear the air. It's going to be a good night.” He nods his head with a determined look on his face.
“Here's hoping.” Jug nod along with him. “I’ll catch you later.” He went into the crowd of people, which is a sentence I never thought I would say about Jughead.
“You can’t force her to say I love you, Archie.” I hiss in his ear.
“I’m not going to.” He shook his head, staring at the door.
“Then why do you need to clear the air.” I move to stand in his line of vision.
“We need to talk about it.” He looks tired. I sigh, only my brother would be worried sick about his relationship when there was a killer on the loose.
“I hope that means you telling her to not worry about. That she can say it when she ready.” I groan when he wouldn’t meet my eyes. I stood up, grabbing my empty glass.
“Where are you going?” He looks up at me.
“Getting any other drink if I’m going to have a designated driver I’m going to enjoy myself.” I walk back over to the bar and order a gin and tonic. “Whoa!” My jaw drop at Alice Cooper coming through the door in a leather jacket, a fishnet top with only a black bra on underneath and a short leather skirt. Betty came in behind her in her normal attire, she look beautiful nonetheless.
“Wow, Betty. Mrs. Cooper. You look incredible.” Jughead stare in awes at Betty.
“Tell me about it. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince this one to dress appropriately.” She rolls her eyes at her daughter. “Hog Eye, get me Tequila, straight up...” She moves to stand next to me at the bar to order her drink.
“...hold the worm.” He smiles at his old friend.
“Hold the worm.” She smiles back at him. I stare at her in amusement. I always wonder if under that uptight facade was wild child. She throws the shot back and savors it like she hadn’t taste hard liquor in a while. “Mmm… hit me, Hog Eye. Honey, what do you want a Shirley Temple?” She turns to her daughter who responded with a smile. “Just give me two.” She decides to let her daughter drink for the night.
Hog Eye put two shots in front of her. She looks around for her daughter, but couldn’t find her. “I don’t know where Betty went, do you want her shot?” She turns to me.
“I would love it. By the way I like your boots. Love your whole outfit.” I smile, taking the shot from her.
“Thank you. I like your outfit too. At least you know how to dress correctly for the place.” She looks me up and down in approval.
“Oh, I never miss a chance to look hot in leather.” I smirk.
“Cheers to that.” We clink our glass together and drank our shots.
I stuck by Alice’s side and it was fun. The night was full of alcohol, jokes, and on her part reminiscing on good times with old friends that came by to talk to her. At the moment we were outside getting some fresh air.
“The thing me and you have in common kid is that we both aren’t as straight lace as we appear to be.” Alice took a hit from her cigarette.
“Only an idiot looks guilty while they’re doing something bad.” I giggle taking a swig from the beer bottle I had. As if on cue Veronica came out crying with Archie following her.
“Like that idiot.” She points to my brother.
“Like that idiot.” I nod in agreement. I throw the beer bottle in the trash can by us.
“Let’s get back inside, don’t need that drama tonight.” She drops her cigarette and crushes it with her boot. We walk back inside to hear Betty singing Mad World by Gary Jules. After shooting each other a look, we push our way through the crowd. “Oh My God,” Alice gasp.
“Holy Shit,” My jaw drops. Betty was on stage dancing around in skimpy lingerie. “What the hell is she doing?” I couldn’t understand what would motivate her to do this.
“The Serpent dance,” Her mom had to hold back a sob. The song end and the bar was cover in silence. I look over at Jughead who was so mad he was about to tear up. F.P. emerge from the crowd clapping and the bar join him soon after.
He got up on stage and put his jacket around her. He guides her to Alice. “What are you doing Betty?” Her mom tugs the jacket to cover more of her body. Betty didn’t answer her and stare at F.P. on stage.
“Let's give her a round of applause! And show her some of that Serpent hospitality we're known for.” He got the crowd to hoot and howler for her. It made me want to vomit. It was disgusting the way these grown ass man were cheering for an almost naked minor dancing for them.
“You know what? I've been in and out of the Serpents since I was younger than my son. And it's been a wild ride. Good times, bad times, but through it all, the Serpent's stuck by my side, while most people turned their backs on me. My own family included. Now, the letter of the law says that I can't be here in the Serpent den. That I can't associate with my friends, my real family, my blood. But, I've been thinking about that and it'll be a cold day in hell, before a snake lets a pig tell him what to do.” F.P. cheers. I wonder if he was drinking tonight.
“All right, Coyote Ugly, let's go.” Alice grabs her daughter’s arm. I sighed, the fun loving Alice was gone and the facade was back up. But, I finally understood that she was doing what she thought was right for her kids. It wasn’t that she didn’t enjoy this life; it was that she didn’t want this for Betty.
“No, I'm staying.” She shook her head.
“Elizabeth, you're coming with me now.” She did the under her breath growl that parents do to let you know they aren’t play while in public.
“No, I'm staying.” Betty said it slowly to get her mom to understand she would have to drag her out.
“Well, I can't.” She shot one last look at the stage before making her way out the door. If I didn’t have to check on Archie I would have went with her.
“Northside wants me outta this gang? Well, they better bring a coffin because F.P. Jones isn't retiring! I am not going gently into the night! I'm here to stay! So, bring the fire!” He hype up the whole crowd. He got off the stage to give Jughead a hug and kiss on the forehead. I was surprised that he look bum out, I thought he would have been happy. That’s Jughead Jones for you, always a mystery.
“Shot, let’s line them up.” Hog Eyes scream as he began passing out shots to everyone. The crowd chanted Hail to The King.
“Here,” Sweet Pea held out a shot for me while Fangs was handing Betty one. I look at the drink in suspicion. “There nothing wrong with it. F.P. thinks of you as a niece, don’t you want to celebrate with him?” He put the shot in my face.
I snatch it out of his hand. “Hail to the King.” I cheer with everyone else and throw back my shot.
“I got to go.” Betty grabs her clothes off the stage and headed to the bathroom.
“You think someone who dances naked on stage would be more fun.” I let out a drunken giggle. I swipe a beer from a waitress’s tray as she walk by. The boys next to me had a good laugh at the joke.
“So, why is the Ghoulie Queen at a Serpent supposed to be retirement party?” Sweet Pea asks. I cringe, normally when I was called queen it was either in a joking manner or with affection, but Sweet Pea said it with venom as if he was a spitting cobra.
“Because F.P. asked me to come, I couldn’t deny him a simply request. He’s the guy that made my childhood fun. Archie and Jughead would always ditch me. He would take me to do something funnier than what they were doing. One time they lock me out of the trailer to watch the Gremlins. So, F.P. took me here and let me watch It. Hog Eyes serve me Shirley Temples and Virgin Pina Coladas. It’s actually my favorite childhood memory.” I stare at the corner remembering my eight year old self sitting there staring up at the TV. F.P. was sitting next to me explaining how Pennywise couldn’t get me because he doesn’t leave Derry.
“Then why are you betraying him by being with that Ghoulie.” Sweet Pea stares down at me, with that hard glint in his eyes.
“You remind me a lot of Maverick.” I laugh at his disgusted face, knowing it would be the same one on Maverick face if I compare him to Sweet Pea.
“I’m nothing like that idiot.” He growls.
“So, you’re not full of sass and rage. Fiercely loyal to your gang,” I tilt my head like was confused as to why he was upset by the comparison.
“Sounds like you Pea.” Fangs laugh on the other side of me.
“Shut up, man.” Sweet Pea reaches over to push him.
“I’m going to go find my brother and go home.” I put my bottle down on a table.
“He’s not here. He left after his fail duet.” Fangs inform me.
I ran to the parking lot, if he left me here I was going to tackle him again. I got to the parking lot to see dad’s truck gone and crying Betty standing in the middle of it. “What the hell?” I went over to hug her.
“He broke up with me. He said he was dragging me down.” She sobs, tucking her head into my neck.
“He just overwhelms right now Betty. He’ll change his mind.” I rub her back.
“What if he doesn’t?” She pull back to look at me with her blood shot eyes.
“He will, but not tonight. So, let go home.” I grab her hand to lead her out of the parking lot and down the road. I pull my phone out of my pocket and text Maverick to come pick us up.
“Why did we stop?” Betty asks.
“We are waiting for our ride.” I look down at my phone when he text back that he was on his way.
“Archie?” She looks around like Michael Myers was going to come running around the corner at any moment.
“Someone better than that,” I muttered.
“Are you sure it safe to be out here?” Her eyes were darting in every direction.
“We’re fine. Beside he won’t be long.” As I said that the green Monza pulls up next to us. I open the backseat door for her. She looks back in the direction of the bar. “Come on, nothing going to happen. He will just give us a ride home. No stops.” I assure her and with great hesitance she got into the car.
I got into the passenger seat. “Thanks for coming to get us. This is Betty, Betty this is Maverick.” I introduce them to each other. Betty gave him a small wave in the rearview mirror and he mocks her by waving back at her in the same manner.
“How was the retirement party?” He asks me as he took off down the road.
“It was more of a welcome home party.” I could feel Betty burning holes into the side of my head.
“Old Man Jones never stays away for long. Did you have fun? No one bother you, did they?” He crossover the invisible border leading to the Northside.
“No one bothered me. F.P. made it known that I wasn’t to be mess with.” I reassure him that he didn’t have to kill any snakes.
“What is it about you that got all this gang leaders ready to protect you?” He smirks.
“You’re an idiot.” I chuckle, rolling my eyes.
“I don’t know, you go to his party looking sexy and you got his protection. Should I tell Malachai he got competition?” He wiggles his eyebrows.
“You’re disgusting. He’s the same age as my father. He watched me grow up.” I punch him.
“I’m going to call you Lolita from now on.” He pulls up in front of my house.
“May demon haunt your dreams,” I got out of the car. I was about to shut the door when Betty distract me by jumping out of the car and running into her house.
“Damn she can move fast.” He laughs, watching her in amusement.
“Be nice, she just got dump.” I glare at him. I reach over to close the door she left open.
“Lil Jones is an idiot.” He shook his head in disbelief.
“Yeah he is. Goodnight, thanks for the ride.” I shut the passenger’s door after he said his goodbye to me.
I walk into the house on a mission to find Archie to yell at him. I open his bedroom door to see a pitiful sight. He was sitting on his bed with his head in his hand crying. I sat down next to him and throw my arms around him. “I’m sorry, Archie.” I lean over to give him a kiss on the cheek.
“I did what you and dad said, I told her that she can tell me in her own time. She said that something wrong with her, because she couldn’t say it. That I deserve better.” He wipes his tears away and put his head on my shoulder.
“Breaking up with people, because they deserve better seems to be the trend tonight.” I chuckle dryly.
“What do you mean?” He asks.
“Jughead broke up with Betty, said that he was dragging her down.” I told him.
“Poor Betty,” He lifted his head from my shoulder to look out the window. Betty was in her room, she had on a tank top and cotton shorts. He got up to get a closer look at her. She caught him looking and returns his stare.
I shift uncomfortable at the longing looks they were giving each other. I slowly got up and left the room. I shook my head as I walk to my room. “It’s like a square dance between those four, constantly switching partners.”