Take Me to the Races

Tales from the Darkside

I was bouncing my legs up and down in my seat as I waited in an interrogation room. “You’re a lucky girl.” Sheriff Keller came in and closes the door behind him. I scrunch up my face, not seeing how any of this was lucky. “Your friends took a deal. They’re all taking four months if you get to walk free.” He sat down across from me.
“What? No!” I shook my head. “This is such bullshit, how is it that you were only rounding up Ghoulies at the street race. There were Serpents and Northsiders and you only grab Ghoulies. Street racing is what they’re being charged for, not for being a Ghoulie. So, shouldn’t everyone be getting charged that was there? I’ll name them all for you.” I slam my fists down on the table. I was done with this biased justice system.
“That’s enough Abigail Andrews!” My dad charges into the room.
“Fred you can’t just come in here.” Keller stood up.
“Why not, the other officer explains she’s not getting charged. That’s part of the deal you made with the thugs, isn’t?” He snaps. When the sheriff didn’t say anything, he grabs me roughly by the arm to pull me out of the chair. “Let’s go.” He drags me out of the room and to the door of the police station.
I look back to see Malachai, he was standing in the holding cell staring back at me. He gave me a small smile and blows a kiss at me. All I could do was cry at having to leave him there. My dad let my arm go after we got out of the police station. We both got into the car, where I thought I would get yelled at but it was a silence tension ride home.
Once we got into the house he exploded. “You were street racing with your gang leader boyfriend! I feel like I didn’t even know you. How long have you been lying to me?”
“Since the beginning of last summer,” My eyes dart back and forth as he paced in front of me.
“So every sleepover was…” He began putting the pieces together in his head.
“Most of them were with him.” I squirm as I admit the truth.
“I can’t believe it. Here I was thinking, at least I have one kid who has a good head on their shoulders. How could I have been so wrong? You’re sneaking around to live a life full of drugs and crime. What happen to my sweet little girl?” He stops pacing to stare at me with tears in his eyes.
I open and close my mouth, not finding any words. It felt too cliché to say that I love him, that I didn’t mean for any of this to happen, but I love him. I was looking for some adventure through him and I end up finding love. Now, I didn’t want to imagine life without him.
“Maybe you should go live with your mother?” He ran his hands down his face.
“What?” I gasp, feeling panic set into me.
“It’s very clear that I have no control over you or your brother. Maybe your mom could do a better job.” He looks defeated, but I was too upset to care.
“If you make me live with her. I’ll run away to be with him. Either way I’m going to be with him, I love him.” I spat, letting him know there was no tearing us apart.
“Fine, you want learn what happen to good girls who mess with bad guys, go ahead. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.” He throws his hands in the air, sighing in exhaustion. “I just hope you don’t get too hurt, honey.” He walks into the kitchen.
I ran up the stair to look for the rat, with both his bedroom and bathroom empty, I went back down stair to go into the garage. There he was sitting down on a stool with his guitar in his hand like he didn’t almost ruin my life. I shut the door quietly before picking up the water bottle on the table and whip it at him. I nail him right on the side of his head. “What the hell?” He jumps up, knocking over the stool.
“Fuck you, you fucking prick.” I ran at him. I tackle him down and swing wildly. My punches land on his face and chest.
“Get off me. You’re acting like a psycho.” It took him a few tries, but he managed to flip us over and put his arm across my chest to keep me pin down. “You can’t see it now, but I did this for your own good.”
“My own good? I could have had a record Archie. If it wasn’t for the Ghoulies taking that deal, I would have had this following me my whole life.” I sob. Now that the anger was drain from me I was feel the full impact of pain over how he betrayed me.
“Deal?” He drops to sit on the side of me, seeing that I wasn’t in hulk mode anymore.
“They took a four month sentence, so that I could walk free. The Ghoulies aren’t demons from hell; they’re a family who sacrifice for each other.” I move so I was sit down on the floor across from him.
“They are polluting the city with their drugs. It’s just four months. It’s not like their serving a life sentence for you.” He rolls his eyes.
“Drugs that you were so easy manipulated into taking, that’s not a surprise because everyone manipulates you: Ms. Grundy, Cheryl, Veronica, Betty, Nick St. Clair and that’s just naming a few.” I stood up to hover over him. “You wouldn’t know sacrifices, because you don’t give unless it painless. Because, you’re an ignorant, inconsiderate idiot who can’t see anything from anyone else point of view.” I literally spat on him before leaving the garage. I would have slams the door too, if my dad wasn’t home. I storm up to the room to lock myself away from the world.

“You have a collect call from Malachai Rodríguez, an inmate at Shankshaw Prison, A Riverdale Correctional Facility. Your call with be monitored. To accept the charges for this call press three, if you do not wish to pay for this call please hang up. If you no longer wish to accept calls from a correctional facility press the star button.” A mechanical voice told me. I push the number three. “Your call is being transferred. Thank you for using MCI!” I was shaking in angst.
“Hello my queen. Did you miss me? I miss you.” I smile to hear him so happy go lucky, but frown when I remember the show I watch last night.
“Are other inmates around you? You can’t be sound soft in front of them. They’re going to think they can make you their bitches.” I may have been watching too much prison documentaries since he got lock up.
“You ain’t gotta worry about that. There so much of us in here that I’m running this shit. Now tell me you miss me.” His words put my mind at ease.
“I miss you daddy.” I giggle.
“Don’t be starting no shit you can’t finish. Has Maverick been checking up on you?” He hisses, not in the mood to get blue balls.
“Yeah, being a pest really? He checks in with me at least two times a day.” I roll my eyes at Maverick new way of being annoying. He was bored laying low while they were in prison. He was texting me constantly.
“Good that means he’s doing his job. I need you do something for me.” His volume got lower for the last sentence.
“Anything,” I nod. He made it so I wouldn’t go to prison. I would do what he needs me to do while he was in there.
“I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been in jail for a while, but that sounded sexy as hell.” He let out a deep groan.
“You’ve only been in there for a week. What’s do you need me to do?” I laugh shaking my head at his horniess.
“The police took my hot rod. I need you to buy her back. She’s going to be on the police auction. It’s going to be this weekend. Maverick will pick you up and give you the money.” I listen intently to the information he was giving.
“Of course, us red hot mama have to stick together.” I nod. It was weird to say because it was car, but I felt like the automobile was a big part of us. I had a lot of great times in that car, including losing my virginity.
“That’s good to hear. My time running out, I love you.” I imagine him glare at the C.O. that was telling him to wrap it up.
“I love you too, be safe.” I push the end call button. “Shit.” I look at the time on the phone. I only had 20 minutes before school starts. I had finished brushing my hair when he called. I grab the first pair of jeans and shirt I saw and put them on. I snatch my backpack and ran out the house. I curse myself for yelling at Maverick last night after he texted me 30 times in a row while I was trying to do my homework. I got anger and told him not to pick me up in the morning, because I didn’t want to see his face. Now, I was paying for it when I had to stop mid way to catch my breath.
“Fuck it I’m late already.” I walk the rest of the way to school. When I got there the hallways were empty, so for once I was about to peaceful make my way to my locker.
I was pulling the history textbook out of my locker when I let out a yip as I had to pull my hand back to avoid it from being smash, because someone slams my locker door. “What the hell Jughead?” I glare at the idiot in the leather jacket.
“I’ll tell you what the hell. The ghoulies beat up my dad and put him in the infirmary.” He narrows his eyes at me as he tilted his head to the side.
“No, they didn’t.” I shook my head. Malachai order them to be on their best behavior, so they could get out as soon as possible.
“I know your boyfriend likes filling your head up with lies to keep you but...” I cut off his rant by slamming my hand down on the locker.
“They only got four months in prison Jughead, why would they risk getting more jail time. Besides they know FP wouldn’t pull a snake move like calling the police. They want Archie’s and your head on a silver platter. So, I would enjoy your four months of peace. And, I would think about whose filling your head with lies to get what they want from you.” I poke his forehead and walk away from him. “You don’t go to this high school anymore, get out!” I yell over my shoulder.
I was fuming as I walk to history class, that guy has some nerve. The door creaked open as I walk into the classroom. “Sorry for being late, time got away from me this morning.”
“Don’t let it happen again. We working on our group project, go sit with your group.” Miss Haggly point over to where my group was.
“It won’t, I promise.” I smile at her. I made my way over to Trev and Tomoko.
“How come you’re late?” Trev ask after I sat down.
“Malachai called me.” I whisper to them.
“From prison?” Tomoko raise an eyebrow.
“No from the House of the Dead… of course from prison. He wants me to go the police auction to buy his truck back.” I apologize for snapping she has been nothing, but great friends to me. I shouldn’t be taking my frustration out on her.
“Are you going to do it?” He asks.
“Of course, us red hot mama gotta stick together.” I repeated the same words I said to Malachai.
She giggles while he pretends to gag. “I do not need to know about your pet names for each other.” He rubs his forehead like he was trying to rub it out of his memory.
“Did you hear about the great news?” Tomoko lean in excited to share.
“What?” I look over at Trev to see if he knew and he shook his head.
“Nick St. Clair got run off the road.” She smiles wickedly.
“Good for that creep, thinks because he got money he can do whatever he likes.” Trev snap. He had been enraged when he found out about Nick, knowing how easily it could have been his sister.
“He is in a full body cast.” She claps as she gave the news.
“At least he won’t be raping girl for a while.” I said sarcastically. Somehow, it didn’t feel like it was enough. His body would recover and he would be back at it again.
“Hopefully his dick doesn’t recover.” Trev sneers.
“If there is a god it won’t. Oh, Miss. Haggly is coming,” Tomoko pull out her history notes. We were quick to follow her as we work on our history project.

I dance around in the passenger seat of the Monza. I was excited to get the hot rod. It felt like I was getting a piece of Malachai back early. I had the boots and other things that he bought me, but nothing felt as personal as the truck. He poured some much passion, time, and money into the automobile trying to make her the best she could be.
“Can you stop that you’re shaking the car?” Maverick glares at me.
“Stop being mean to me, I already said sorry. I shouldn’t have snap at you for checking on me so much. I know you’re basically on house arrest making sure the house of the dead doesn’t get looted. It must be boring. I should have been more sympathetic.” I pout. This was my third time I was saying sorry since I got in the car and all I got in return was silence.
“I forgive you.” He smiles, clearly enjoying me begging.
“Tell me about getting to run Clair off the road.” I shift in my seat to give him my whole attention.
“Three of us took our cars and surround him, forcing him to drive off a cliff. We park on the side and climb down. We pull him out of the car and start beating on him. We didn’t stop until all his body parts look unusual.” His eyes fill with excitement as he remembered torturing the predator.
“I wish I could have seen it.” I sigh, lean back in my seat and close my eyes as I imagine what he look like.
“After that we shove him back in the car and got away.” He finishes the glorious tale. I open my eyes when I felt the car stop moving. “Here the cash.” He hand me the money.
“Only 500 dollars?” I ask after counting it.
“That where they’ll start the bidding. It’ll all you’ll need.” He got out of the car. I follow after him, deciding not to ask any more questions about it.
My questions were answered when I step into the building. There was a Ghoulie in every direction I look. I took a seat as I look around the room more. The regular civilians look uncomfortable. Their eyes were darting every which way not sure who they should be focusing on. “How much longer do we have until this starts?” I ask Maverick who took a seat next to me.
“We still got 30 minutes more.” He took his phone out to play fortnight. In that time a few people left not being able to stand being in a room full of gang members.
A woman came in with a man rolling a projector behind her. “May everyone take their seat we are about to start.” The lady walks over to the microphone that was in the front of the room. The man set up the projector as everyone found a seat. A picture of a diamond necklace shows up on the wall behind the lady. She drones on about the preciousness of the jewelry before she started the bidding.
I was falling asleep in my seat when I was jab in the ribs. I jolted up to see the red hot mama on the wall. “500 dollars!” I stood up. I turn red as I realize the lady didn’t start the bidding yet.
“Sorry, the little lady would kill to get that cherry ride.” Maverick stood up to wrap an arm around my shoulder. He put emphasis on the word kill. Everyone stiffen when they saw that I was with the gang.
“Do we have any other bids?” The lady looks around the room. No one raise their hand, in fact a few move to sit on their hands. “Alright the truck goes to the little lady.” She looks disappoint to reward me the truck. She probably thought she was going to get a lot more money for it.
Maverick sat down and tug me along with him. “Good job.” He snickers into my ear.

I smile as I sign the paperwork to get the truck in my name. “Do you have a license?” The lady asks me.
“Nope, but it’s not illegal to own a car without a license.” I shrug. I look it up there was no law against it. They probably didn’t feel the need to make one, since it was illegal to drive without one.
“I’ll be driving.” Maverick shove his driver license in her face.
“Bye.” I grab the title from her. We walk out of the office.
“Who’s driving the monza?” I ask.
“Greg.” He nods over to the green monza that had the tall Ghoulie that drag Betty and Veronica in the other day sitting in the driver seat. I nod as we got in the hot rod. I rub the dashboard happy to be back in her. “He’ll follow us to your house to give me a ride back to The House of the Dead.” He got in the driver seat.
“She’s going to stay with me.” I ask, knowing that both my dad and brother would have a melt down when they saw her.
“I don’t want to risk taking her with me to have someone report it stolen, and then The House of the Dead gets raided.” He turns out of the parking lot and drive in the direction to my house.
I flip on the radio and smile that the Guns N’ Rose CD was still in there. “Take me down to the paradise city. Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. Take me home. Oh, won't you please take me home.” I sang the classic song. I felt sad that Malachai wasn’t in the seat next to me sing along with me. I shook my head. I need to stop mourning him. He was gone for four months, he wasn’t dead.
“There your home, now stop making my ears bleed.” He parallel park the truck in front of my house. “There you go, you proud car owner.” He took the key out of the ignition to drop in my hand. He got out of the truck and into the monza that was right behind us.
“Text me later,” I tease, waving as they drove off. I laugh as he flipped me off. The laughter stopped when I turn around to see my dad on the porch.
“What’s that doing here?” He points the truck.
“It’s mine.” I walk over to show him the title.
“How could they let you buy this car when you don’t have your license?” He stares at the paper in disbelief.
“There no law against it,” I took the paper from his hand and went into the house.
“I can’t believe you would pay a car without me!” He follows me.
“What does it matter you don’t have any plans for me?” I turn around to face him.
“What are you talking about?” He put his hand on his hips.
“I’m not the son you wanted all your life. I’m not Archie. You don’t ever talk about wanting to teach me how to play sports or anything for that matter. You never mention building a car with me or giving me the company. You don’t have any expectation of me, so what does it matter what I do?” I let out all the bitterness out that I been push down for so many years. All the envy I felt when I would hear him telling Archie about the thing he wanted to do with him and then having to watch from the sideline as he did was coming out of my mouth and I couldn’t stop it.
“I didn’t mean to make you feel like that.” His eyes gloss over in pain and shock, like the morning at Pops.
“I know.” I ran up the stair and into my room. I lock the door and drop on my bed. I curl my legs up against my chest as I hyperventilated. I hate how I was acting lately. My emotions were all over the place from being depressed about missing Malachai to anger at Archie and the bias people who were in position in power. It was making me snap at people who didn’t deserve it, and then I would feel guilty about it. I felt like I didn’t have any control over myself and that scares me.