‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Your arm felt nice wrapped around my shoulder

Liz’s POV

“Can we swing through the house so I can check the mail really quick?” I asked Zack before he got on the interstate towards the airport, “Matt said something should be coming in soon.”

“Fine.” Zack shrugged, “If you miss your flight it’s not my fault.”

“Thanks, I just don’t know what he could possibly consider a Christmas present while we’re going through a divorce.”

“Well he doesn’t know about the papers.” Zack glanced at me as I raised my eyebrows, “Yet, until he comes over and flips out at me. Thanks for that.”

“I did’t want to, I had to!” I threw my hands up, “I don’t know Amy’s address or if he moved yet. Sorry I wanted this to get fucking taken care of soon. You’re the one who told me to hand deliver them instead of have the attorney send them.”

“You didn’t know his address, how was she supposed to send them?” Zack mumbled before pulling on to the street of the house Matt and I bought after we got married. He pulled to the end of the driveway and I hopped out, navigating the brick driveway in my heels and up to the mailbox. I opened it and grabbed the only piece of mail inside that was addressed to me from Matt.

I climbed back in to my car and he took off, we decided he would drive my car since I didn’t want to park it at the airport for a week. Zack mumbled something while glancing over at me as he sped up towards a green light, “I’m opening it don’t worry I’m just trying to think of what it could be-“

“OPEN IT.” Zack nudged my arm as I laughed, watching his phone light up a little in the console, “Oh that’s Jacky, read it.”

“Oh fuck.” I laughed, “Matt’s over there… Liddy asked why he didn’t come on vacation with me.”

“Fucks sake.” Zack smacked his forehead, “I didn’t think he’d be awake this early, he just moved in to his condo today… I didn’t know he’d be down here and functional.”

“That’s funny.” I shrugged and put Zack’s phone back down, sliding my finger under the top of the envelope, “Oh fuck..”

“What is it?” Zack asked, turning on to the highway.

“It’s… plane tickets and an itinerary to… He fucking rented a house in the Swiss Alps.” My jaw dropped, “The fucker rented a chalet in the Swiss Alps..”

“Fuck.” Zack mumbled, “Liz-“

“This was supposed to be our Christmas vacation together.” I grabbed my phone as Zack continued talking, I dialed Matt’s number and waited.

“Hey.” He answered.

“You booked the trip? When did you book the trip? Matt you can still get a refund, don’t give me this, this is too much-“

“Liz stop.” I could hear the head shake in Matt’s voice, “You wanted to go, you seemed really excited when we decided to go. Please go… It’s a trip for two so please, take Marie or someone you’d enjoy going with. I didn’t do the guided tour-“

“Matt I can’t accept this,” I felt tears in my eyes as Zack got off the exit for the airport, “I really can’t.. Especially-“

“I know, I’m here, I opened them.” His voice was weaker than I’d ever heard, “It’s fine, Liz. I know it was coming, it’s all good ok? Just… just be happy, please. You deserve that much, and if I can at least make you happy with this well… Go.”

I held my free hand to my nose as I sniffled back some tears, “Thanks Matt… Fuck, thanks.”

“I’m gonna go, Liddy’s been giving me death glare since I picked up the phone.. Lo-… Have a safe work trip Liz.”

I cringed at him correcting his love you, “Alright, Matt… see you around.”

“Bye.”

“Fuck him!” I slammed my hands in to the door of the car after I hung up, “Fuck him and his stupid ass for always being a day late to everything!”

“Liz he’s trying to be nice..” Zack sighed.

“Now! Now he’s being nice and doing things to make me happy! He couldn’t have done that the past three years?!” I groaned and tucked the tickets in to the glove compartment of my car, “He’s shit.”

“Are you gonna go?” Zack asked, staring at me, “I mean, it’s a few months away. You could coerce him to refund them.”

“I could refund them to his card, my last name is still Sanders, fuck face.” I glared at Zack, “I think I will, and when the invoice comes back to him have Merry Christmas attaches to it or something in a memo.” I mumbled, “I don’t know, I don’t have time for this drama any more. I’m freaking out internally already because I’m afraid I’ll fall back in love with Breckinridge.”

“You and your mountains.” Zack laughed as he pulled up to the gate, “So what hotel are you staying at again?” He asked, “You never told me, I need to call daily and make sure you haven’t checked out and bought a house.”

“I’m staying at Sam’s, and I already told your wife that. She has all the contact info for me there.” I laughed at Zack’s reaction, “It’ll be ok, don’t worry. I won’t bang him because I’m not divorced yet.”

“Get out of my car you slut.” Zack laughed and shooed me towards the door.

“Hey, my car asshole. Go console him and talk him out of giving me these tickets ok? I just… Fuck I’m gonna be late for my flight. Ok Zack, love you alright? I’ll be home next Friday, pick me up?”

“Uh, if we’re around yeah. Jacky wants to go out to Boston either this weekend or next, we’ll be in touch anyways.”

“Obviously. Ok love you bro, talk to you later.”

“Call me when you land! Love you Lizard!” Zack shouted as I shut the door, slinging my carry on over my shoulder and my parka under my arm. I booked it for the gate and sighed, airports were never my best friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Fast Car - Tracy Chapman