Status: New

I Knew the Moment I Met You

1.

Maddison shut her eyes, bringing the ice cold glass to her lips and allowing the shot to slip down her throat, her face not even grimacing at the foul taste as she let out a breath, opening her eyes as she motioned to the bar tender for another round.

That was the one thing she liked about airports, it didn’t matter what time it was, no one would shame you for drinking. It was only 7pm and she wasn’t looking forward to her next destination, her family home. It wasn’t that she didn’t love Christmas, it was that she didn’t love the barrel of questions her family would ask her, prying and wondering why she was still alone, the sympathetic looks they gave her and the side glances they gave one another.

“Can I get a beer please?” a voice asked next to her as she turned to give them a side glance, a man around her age had taken the empty seat next to her, battered denim jacket slung across his knee as he rolled up the sleeves of his checked shirts.

“Want anything instead of another shot?” the barman asked eyeing the empty glass in Maddison’s hand as she slid it across the wooden surface before nodding asking for a Jack Daniels and Coke instead.

Her phone in her purse rang, playing the ringtone that she had for years, the same overly chirpy tune that had played three times at least since she had been sat at the bar.

“Aren’t you going to get that?” the man next to her asked, as Maddison turned to look at him shaking her head.

“No, it’s nothing urgent” she signed, swirling the straw around in her drink before taking a large gulp and popping a peanut in her mouth before chasing it with another gulp.

“Are you sure?” the man asked, turning his body to face her as he took a swig of his beer, his eyes surveying her. “You didn’t’ even check who it was” he pointed at as she merely shrugged.

“Don’t need to, I know who it will be” Maddison explained as she turned to face the boy “It will be my parents wanting to know what time I will be getting home” she explained with a sign.

“And don’t you need to tell them what time your flight will get in?” he asked, as though he was unsure that she knew exactly how a phone worked.

“No, my flight has gotten in. I’m home. I just don’t want to head home” she explained, her hands combing through her hair, brushing the strands behind her ear before picking up her drink “Pathetic right?” she chuckled sarcastically, draining the glass and motioning for the barman to fill it up.

“No, not at all, I know what you mean. The holidays can bring the best and worst out of families. Take my Grandmother for example, love her to death, but she always tells me to find a real job. That’s been going on for over 10 years and it hurts me every time” he agreed, as the girl nodded in response.

“I get that their heart is in the right place, but it is so draining” she agreed, “I just need to build up the courage to face the inquisition, should be worse this year with my younger sister bringing home her fiancé” Maddison added with a groan, her hand rubbing her face as the boy laughed.

“I’m John by the way” he introduced himself as Maddison laughed; only she would tell a stranger all her doubts and problems but wouldn’t introduce herself to them at first.

“Maddison” she said, shaking his hand “I’m sorry, you are probably wanting to relax before your flight” she apologised, turning her body back to the bar to allow the boy to relax.

“No, honestly it’s fine, I am loving the company. Plus my flight is cancelled so anything to pass the time” John explained, his eyes flickering to the screen that showed all the planned departures, nearly all the flights heading to the west coast having flickered now onto cancelled or delayed.

“Oh that’s shit, are you heading out West? Hopefully its sorted soon, you don’t want to spend Christmas in an Airport alone” she sympathised, though she knew how hypocritical she was being as she was in her home state and was choosing to sit in the airport instead of being with her family when she had the choice.

“Nah, it should all be sorted soon. At least I have you to keep me company in the meantime” he smiled, taking another swig of beer as Maddison rolled her eyes at him a scoff escaping her lips as John laughed back.

“I can try my best, at least it will allow me to delay the inevitable” Maddison half smiled back, tying her hair up in a ponytail as she grabbed her purse. “You hungry?” she asked, grabbing some bills and placing them on the counter.

“Starving” John beamed back, grabbing his guitar case and backpack, slinging them on his shoulder as he grabbed his wallet and added to her pile of bills. “After you”
♠ ♠ ♠
I got the idea from multiple Christmas films.