Postcard Burnt in Flames

A Lie

Kay's POV

Ville and I had agreed to meet back in the lobby at 7 o’clock. I had 2 hours to get Jac ready and myself. I pressed the elevator door button and tapped my foot impatiently. My mind was racing.
How would she act in front of the entire band?
She would ask how dinner came about certainly.
I had to lie. What would she even wear?
She would take ages if she knew he had invited us but I couldn’t spring another random run in.
The elevator finally arrived on the lobby floor.
Guests sprinkled out into the main hall and my patience grew thin.
One hour and 56 minutes.
I pressed her floor and hummed along to the music inside.
When I arrived at her door, I found a post-it.
“Forgot my cc, text me for dinner!”
Why wouldn’t she text that to me?
My hands fumbled for my phone as I dialed her.
She picked up on
the third ring.
“Where are you?” I asked as the connection clicked through and all I heard was traffic.
“ I think I left my credit card at the bar,” she answered.
“The bar? It’ll take you a half hour to get back here! We need to leave at 7,” I demanded.
“For what?” She asked as I heard her curse.
“It’s a surprise, are you wearing anything good?” I asked as the connection broke up.
“Just text me an address and I’ll be there.”
The call failed.
I ran my fingers through my hair, catching the blonde ends in between my fingertips.
One hour and 50 minutes; I had better get ready. I had been more concerned with what she was wearing rather than focusing on my own outfit.
“Just meet me at Tovari,” I texted to her as I struggled to recall exactly where we were meeting.
I realized it was my gain and her loss that she wouldn’t be here when Ville came to the lobby.

****
A bleak overcast sky had descended onto Helsinki in the afternoon. I had been hankering for a good coffee which had brought me out of the hotel.
Twenty minutes, two espressos, and an embarrassing realization later; I was handing the owner an IOU. I had nothing to leave as collateral except my good word.
The owner wasn’t pleased but my embarrassment must have spoken to my sincerity. Once I stepped outside, I fished in my purse for my wallet but it wasn’t there. I tried to not let the panic set in. We had only been to two places last night and I recalled using my wallet at the bar. Dashing back to the hotel and leaving a note for Kay, I headed back out into the city. I stared at the ground and retraced my steps around the hotel. Nothing turned up. I had once lost my passport in Athens and that was not a good time. The stress of my wallet now caused me to be on the verge of tears. My wallet, credit cards, and cash were important in any kind of travel. Luckily I wasn’t traveling alone but the hangover from yesterday was making my head hurt. Surely i couldn’t be that upset over just a a wallet- no, it was probably the ever present fact that Kay always got what she wanted.

I found the bar from the night before and the bartender had no issue recalling my face.
“Sorry ring-toss, no wallet reported.”
“If anything turns up, please call me.”
He nodded and went back to wiping down the table.
It was pointless to go to the sex shop again, I had definitely used it here last.
As I mulled over the possibilities of where it was, it started to rain again.
“Oh great,” I muttered.

I had texted Kay to verify the address but she hadn’t responded. I put Tovari into my phone which was about a 15 minute walk away but it was raining and I didn’t have an umbrella. This day couldn’t possibly get worse. I walked to the bar and no one was there yet. It was already after 7 o’clock. I reasoned no one was ever on time. I waited another hour slowly and still no one showed up.

“Kay, where is everyone? Where are you?” I texted her. Still no response. I gave her phone a ring and it went straight to voicemail. At this point, it was absolutely pouring outside and I had already ordered 2 beers. My phone rang and my frustration eased. It had to be Kay.

“Hello?” I answered.
“Hi, someone called about the wallet,” the bartender from earlier said.
“Oh really? Great! Is it there then?” I asked as a huge sense of relief washed over me.
“No, the individual has. But he says he is your friend and can give it to you when he sees you.”
When who sees me?
“Did he leave a name?”
“No, I don’t think so.”
“Oh, okay then…. uhm thanks.”
I hung up. The phone rang again.

“Hello?”
“JAC. Where are you? I am crucifying myself because I keep going in circles around the HIM stories! I am not the fan, I can not sustain a lie. Ville has not suspected anything yet but I don’t how much more I can keep up the appearance??? Where the hell are you?” Kay whined on and on.
I was flabbergasted. I didn’t know she was meeting with Ville or the band it appeared as well. I also was given the wrong address and it was still pouring outside.

“Perhaps if you didn’t give me the wrong address, I would have been able to spare you from the fact checking. I am at Tovari; where are you at? I can come there. I asked you a lot and you didn’t answer my text messages.”

“I’m sorry. I was rushing to get dressed and look good. You should see Ville. When he came to the lobby he looked so good J! I am having a great time, the guys are all wonderful but I don’t know anything about what they keep asking me. I couldn’t even pick a song that was my favorite! I can text you the address, but come soon please!”

She hung up before I could ask anything. When she was exasperated it became all about her and I was far too over the day to start asking any of the questions that were popping up in my head. I stared at my phone. It was on ten percent. I hoped she would text me an address soon or else I was just going to go back to the hotel. I also hoped she had Ville’s number so I could retrieve my wallet.

A shared location pinged. “Tavastia,” - the message read. I should have known. Where the hell did she get Tovari from Tavastia?

I used my phone to find the nearest metro and walked toward it. I could get off at Kampin and Tavastia was right around the corner. The hotel was only a twenty minute walk from Tavastia.
Retrieve wallet and go to sleep; that was my goal.
The blue dress tank I wore left my arms exposed to the elements and my dark jeans were soaked through by time I hit the metro. My hair looked like I walked out of the ocean and I didn’t want to know what my make-up looked like. I dared a glance once I was inside the metro. My mascara was smeared and I tried to fix it but it stubbornly stuck to my face.
“Oh fuck everything today,” I said aloud. Maybe I could just skip going and get my wallet from Kay, but she sounded drunk and would probably misplace my wallet. I groaned again and watched the stops waiting for Kampin. This better go quickly.

************************************************************************************************

Just as he had promised, Ville was at the lobby at 7 o’clock. I had worn a tight black dress and black heels. That fit in with the club were now in but it was so dimly lit that I could have worn pajamas and no one would be the wiser. Ville wore tight black jeans and a white tee shirt with a blazer tied around his waist. I kept staring at his forearms in the lobby, the taxi, and once we sat down at a table inside. People knew him, especially in the bar.

“Are you a regular here?” I asked.
“You’re funny, of course I am,” he said.
Three of his bandmates; Gas, Linde, and Mige; had joined us. While they were a great group of guys, I was inundated with questions about the band and asked my opinion on their whole years together. I could only guess that they were no longer touring or making music together. I had only thought about Jac when the band questions had started. The venue had changed and I had forgotten to tell her the new address but two hours had already passed. At some point Ville had patted his jeans pocket and stepped outside to make a call.
“What was that about?” Linde asked as Ville went away.
“I have no idea, should we be concerned?”
“No, no. He just smirked and I thought maybe he had something up his sleeve,” Linde said with a laugh.
When Ville returned, he had slid his hands onto my shoulders and my whole body pulsed from his touch.
“A couple more rounds and see where we end up?” he asked the table and I analyzed the last part in my head over and over. Of course, I was ready for any event. I had worn my best lingerie just in case. I was seven cocktails deep and ready for any fun. Mige and Linde stepped out to smoke and Gas took a call. Ville and I were finally alone.

“What should we do after this?” I asked him seductively.
“I think I know what you might like to do,” he said with a smile.
“Oh really?” I asked.
“Yes, shall we test your HIM knowledge and see if you are the ultimate fan?” he asked as he laughed.
I laughed nervously.
“Sure, but I need to make a call. I haven’t spoken to Jac and I think she got the location wrong.” At her name, Ville sat up.
“Yes, I wondered if she was coming here or not,” he said as his mind seemed to be elsewhere.

I stepped outside to make the call and shared our current location. I didn’t really want her to come but I also didn’t want to be subjected to a quiz game on a topic I would fail miserably at. I shared our current location and headed back inside.

“We are getting one more round and then bouncing,” Mige said as I came back to the table.
“Oh?” I asked. Maybe I would get out of this quiz once and for all.
“I ordered you another mojito,” Ville said as he placed my drink down. He had certainly caught not just my attention but a few other eyes in the bar.
“So what’s the story between you two?” Linde asked. The trio hadn’t seem that curious about why I was there that evening.
Ville looked at me and burst out laughing. His laugh, damn he was a catch.
I barely remembered our brief kiss from the night before and I kicked myself for not visualizing that better for my memory.
Ville recalled the tale and the guys all laughed. I shared a bit on Jac and our trip so far.
“So is there anything going on between you two?” Linde pressed with genuine interest.
I looked at Ville. “Well I believe we might have drunkly kissed last night for which I apologize. That was too many beers deep and not gentleman like of me,” Ville said chuckling and he started laughing harder.
“What’s so funny?” I asked unnerved.
“Nothing, I was just recalling a person who questioned me and the characteristics of being a gentleman. I clearly disappointed her.”
“You could never disappoint me,” I said as I looked at him and placed my hand on his knee under the table. Ville immediately stood up and offered to get the last round.
“I think I am ready to move on,” Gas said as he rose.
“Me too,” Mige chimed in.
Hmm maybe Ville was playing hard to get, I would just up the ante.
“Why don’t you guys go ahead and I’ll pay. Kay, are you okay if I catch up after?” he asked staring down at where I sat.
“Sure,” I said. Maybe it would give me an opportunity to question the guys about Ville and his type, it was the perfect opportunity to learn more about him.
“Are you cold?” Ville asked as I stood up without a jacket. He started to untie his blazer from his waist.
“No, I can endure a bit of rain. We’ll see you in a bit,” I said as I joined Mige who was waiting by the exit.
“See you,” Ville said and he patted his pocket again and waved.

*********************************

I disembarked at Kampin and headed toward Tavastia. It was pointless to fix my make-up, I was drenched as soon as I was a few minutes into the walk.
“Kay, you better still be here,” I muttered as I saw the Tavastia sign ahead. I ended inside the dim place and looked around. It was busy but I didn’t spot her anywhere. I took my phone out of my pocket but it was dead.
“Shit,” I muttered and decided to just give up for the day. I had been on a goose chase all day and I was cold. I was really cold as Tavastia had a chill running through the bar. I stepped outside, once again into the rain. I had gone half a block when I heard someone calling my name.

“Jac? Jac? Wait!” The rain was falling so heavy, it made it impossible to hear who was shouting for me. I turned around and saw Ville jogging in the rain, waving his arm for me to stop.
His hair and shirt already had rain on it and I couldn’t imagine what I looked like. Even being inside of Tovari earlier hadn’t helped to dry my clothes.

“Hi,” he said breathlessly as he stopped in front of me.
“Hi,” I said consciously trying to fold my arms over my body.
“I have your wallet,” he said and pulled it out of his pocket. “You left it on the bar yesterday and I forgot I had it until this afternoon.”
At the sight of my wallet in his hands, I crumpled. I was tired, cold, and had been worried about the matter all day.
“Sorry, I was stressed looking all over for it,” I said as I put my fingers to my eyes to stop myself from crying more. I closed my eyes and inhaled.
I felt something come over my shoulders and opened my eyes as Ville finished putting his jacket over my shoulders.
“I’m glad your cousin didn’t take me up on my offer for this. You need it more,” he said and smiled, trying to get a smile out of me.
At the mention of Kate, I looked around.
“She’s with the guys,” he explained.
“Did you guys have fun?” I asked trying to mock my sarcasm.
“Oh sure, we even managed to sneak in a few make-out sessions when the guys weren’t around,” Ville said with such a straight face, I finally looked up into his eyes.
“I’m so thrilled-“
“Jac, I’m just kidding. That- we- I shouldn’t have kissed her yesterday.”
“What you do or want to do, is none of my business. I really don’t care,” I lied. Of course I cared but I shouldn’t. I had always imagined a conversation with Ville to go differently. I was supposed to be more starstruck or just say hello and goodbye.
“what are you thinking about?” he asked and took a step closer.
“That this shouldn’t be happening,” I said as I met his green eyes again. Damn if he didn’t look good in the rain.
“The dildo ring toss or me talking to you?” he asked. He finally cracked a smile from me. The dildo ring toss was epic and ridiculous.
“Either. Look I really hope if you like Kate, you’ll be gentle with her. I might mockingly hate her sometimes but she is still my cousin and I care about her.” i said. I was letting him go. Him and his rain soaked hair now and his t-shirt that clung to his body. He had gotten so thin but was still muscular. He was gorgeous but there was so much more to him than that.
“I really meant what I said before. That kiss shouldn’t have happened. She was there and yes she’s attractive, but it’s not really what I want right now.”
“Oh,” I said feeling like an ass for my assumptions.
“I’m sorry too for all my stupid jokes yesterday and flying at you. I was drunk and rambling. I was jealous, I always am of her and I had always wanted to meet you and it just- the whole night was just fan fiction,” I said and my teeth chattered.
“My jacket isn’t helping much, you should actually put it on, or here I have a hat too,” he said as he took my arm and placed it through the jacket sleeve.
“I can manage,” I said and put my hand on his arm to stop him. He put his other hand on my hand as I did so.
“Wait,” he said and took his newsboy cap and placed it on my head. “Your cousin is so drunk right now, she’d probably think you were me and try to make out with you,” he said and laughed as he took in my appearance.
“If I just call her darling, I’m sure she wouldn’t notice the difference,” I said laughing aloud.
“Do I really say that often?” he asked and his gaze penetrated mine as he put the other sleeve on me. He took a step back.
“Yes, you do. How do I look? Could I fool my cousin into kissing me?” I asked as I did a twirl in his clothes.
“You could, but one more thing,” Ville said and paused until I was facing him again.
“Yeah? A mustache sticker perhaps?” I asked.
“No, not that,” he said laughing.
“Then?” I asked drawing the word out.
“If you’re going to make her think you’re me, you have to kiss like I do,” he said with a devilish look.
“EW. Ville I am NOT kissing my cousin-“
His lips were on mine cutting me off and I opened my mouth to his as he pulled me closer to him. I felt my breathing increase.
“Is that a good example?” he asked as he pulled away. My heart was thudding in my chest.
“I can’t breathe,” I said and felt a panic attack coming on.
“Are you okay?” he asked grabbing my hand.
“I don’t know. I need to go,” I said and started removing his jacket and hat. The joke wasn’t as funny anymore.
“Did I do something wrong?” he asked sounding upset.
“No, no i just, I’m not the best with jokes,” I said and felt like I was going to cry. I was suddenly afraid of really falling. My heart was in my throat and I felt sick.
“What can I do?” he asked placing both hands on my face.
“Please I just need space, you can’t kiss me like that and then-“
“And then what?” he asked and kissed me again and then again.
“What are you doing?” I asked trying to catch my breath.
“I’m not lying to myself anymore,” he answered.