When We Were

Epilogue: But I’ve Spent Years With You Now

Adjusting the throw blanket which was draped over her legs, Emilia let out a soft yawn, her head tilting slightly so that she could get a look at the face of the tiny baby who laid on her chest. She had been there for a while. When he had woken up, crying, she had been quick to get him downstairs before he disturbed his older brother and sister, but despite him having settled relatively quickly, she hadn’t had the urge to return to her bedroom, still caught up in marvelling at the new addition. He had arrived suddenly. Emilia’s smooth pregnancy had ended with a little scare and had resulted in a caesarian a few weeks before her due date, but she didn’t care how he’d gotten there, only that he had.

Quirking a soft smile, she watched him stir a little in his sleep before she gently lifted a hand, smoothing down the wisps of dark hair which covered his head. “So much like your papa” she whispered softly.

“You say it like that’s a bad thing”

Emilia smiled to herself for a moment before she tilted her head back, glancing at Lionel who’d stopped in the doorway, trying in vain to stifle a yawn into his hand. “It’s not” she mused “You’re cute, so he’s cute too” she added.

Lionel offered her a playful smile before he shuffled into the room, plopping into a chair which sat a small distance away from the couch. Running a hand back through his hair, he tried to stifle another yawn before he looked over at Emilia, his gaze centring on the baby for a second before it drifted back up to her face. “You should have let me get him” he said softly “You’re supposed to be taking it easy” he added.

Emilia didn’t look away from the baby. “You were dead to the world” she said “And you’d played a game tonight. It was a walk down the stairs, Leo. I handled it” she added, lifting her head to give him a small, affectionate smile.

Lionel sighed softly, his hand rubbing his jaw.

“I’m OK” Emilia’s voice was soft and warm “A little sore, a little tired, but OK” she added.

Lionel kept quiet for a moment, his eyes searching her face, before he nodded his head. “I know you are” he replied “And I am thrilled by that, of course I am, it’s just...there was a minute there where I thought...” he trailed off, shaking his head as if to get rid of the thought.

Emilia stretched out an arm, offering her hand to him.

Lionel eyed it for a second before he reached out, gently twisting their fingers together. “I’m so glad that you’re both OK” he said quietly “I don’t know what I would have done if...” he trailed off again.

Emilia squeezed his hand gently, smiling up at him sleepily. “You don’t have to think about that now” she mused “We’re here and we’re not going anywhere” she added brightly.

Lionel laughed softly, a sound which faded away slowly, leaving a comfortable silence between them. Toying with her fingers gently, he let out a happy sigh before he shook his head, grinning up at her warmly. “I don’t think I’ve seen Luca so happy as he was today” he mused.

Emilia, who’d leant her head back against the arm of the couch and closed her eyes, let out a laugh. “He’s always wanted a baby brother” she mused “And whilst he loves Maisie more than anything, he’s been excited about meeting him for months. Did you see how proud he looked when he held him?” she asked.

Lionel nodded. Luca had been so careful when Lionel had placed his little brother in his arms, so afraid that he’d do something wrong or that the baby wouldn’t like him, but once Lionel had stepped away and he’d been holding the baby by himself, his entire face had brightened with the biggest smile that Lionel and Emilia had seen since he’d held Maisie the same way a couple of years previous. “He’s a wonderful big brother” he commented thoughtfully “I mean, he’s so patient with Maisie, even when she does things to annoy him. I don’t think I’ve seen him shout at her” he added.

Emilia nodded, scoffing out a laugh. “He’s basically the opposite of how Jordi was with me” she replied.

Lionel smirked. “Jordi had you as his little sister” he teased “I think I can cut him a little slack” he added.

Emilia turned her head, glaring at him playfully. “You don’t remember how I was as a child” she mused “Until Jordi’s wedding, I doubt you’d thought about me since you left for Barcelona” she added.

“But I have spent a few years with you now” Lionel retorted impishly “And I feel sorry for Jordi” he added.

Emilia let out a scoff, but her eyes remained warm and playful. “I can go” she quipped “Give me a little while to wake up Maisie and Luca, and get some stuff together...” she trailed off as Lionel moved towards her, pressing his lips to hers.

Giggling, she pecked his lips a couple of times before she gently pushed him back, gesturing to the baby. “Don’t wake him up” she mused.

Lionel held up an apologetic hand, slinking back to his seat with a playful grin.

Emilia watched him sit down, shaking her head amusedly. “You don’t really think I put Jordi through it, do you?” she asked.

Lionel shook his head. “I know you didn’t” he replied “I might not remember everything about then, but what I do remember...he was lucky to have you as a little sister. He still is. I’m lucky too. There are people who’d be offended I had forgotten about them” he added.

“And miss out on the chance to tease you about it every chance I get?” Emilia teased.

Lionel feigned a glare in her direction, something which made Emilia poke her tongue out at him, coaxing another laugh from him.

Emilia watched him for a few moments, marvelling at how at ease and how happy he looked, before she turned back towards the baby, watching him stir in his sleep. “I love us” she said quietly.

Lionel, who’d fallen into staring at her, blinked a couple of times. “Yeah?” he prodded.

Emilia nodded. “It’s more than I thought it could be” she continued “Isaac...for a long time, he took a part of me, but then you appeared and...let’s just say, I owe Jordi a lot for sending you a wedding invitation. He didn’t want to...”

“He didn’t?” Lionel interrupted, his voice a little indignant.

“You didn’t know that?” Emilia grinned “Yeah, Samia really had to coax him into it. He didn’t think you’d show up” she added.

Lionel just blinked, causing Emilia to snicker a little. “You’re so easy to tease” she quipped “You were his childhood best friend, of course he wanted you there” she added.

Lionel rolled his eyes, pinning her with a playful glare. “You know, I really do hate you sometimes” he quipped.

Emilia scoffed, beaming at him. “No, you don’t” she chirped “You think I am delightful and you love me. I’ve got the wedding ring to prove it” she added, holding up her hand to show it off to him.

Lionel’s expression shifted from one of teasing to one of warmth and adoration. “Yeah, I do” he mused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to those who've read, commented, subscribed or recommended :)