Sequel: Always
Status: Active ♥

Forever

Twenty-One

Axel didn’t turn up for school over the next few days and Brooklyn was worried, so she decided to head over to the Garcia house to check on him. She spotted his bike as soon as she arrived and knocked on the front door, smiling when Mrs. Garcia opened it.

“Brooklyn, what can I do for you?”

“Hi Mrs. Garcia, is Axel around?”

“He is, but he’s not feeling too good and doesn’t want to see anyone.”

“Oh, okay... could you just tell him that I stopped by?” Brooklyn inquired, earning a nod from Mrs. Garcia and heading home.

Sat on her bed, Brooklyn added some detail to her latest sketch and grabbed her phone when it chimed. Without checking who it was, she opened the new text and was surprised to see that it was from Axel.

‘I’m fine.’

Good to know Brooklyn thought, chucking the phone aside and packing away her things. It was early when she woke up the next day, putting on Shylo’s leash and taking him for a walk in the park before his shift with her dad.

The rest of the weekend was spent with Braxton and Jared, getting in some overdue sibling time. It was Wednesday, when Axel returned to school with an almost healed black eye and, despite being glad that he was okay for the most part, she avoided him.

“Brook,” Axel called at lunch as she sat out in the quad.

“Hi,” Brooklyn mumbled, packing away her stuff and standing up to head back inside.

“Brook,” he said again, catching her wrist gently to stop her, “I get that you’re angry at me, but... they’re my brother’s.”

“You think that I’m mad at you because you helped your brothers?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s not the reason I’m mad at you,” Brooklyn told him, “I have never expected you to change, Axel, but I never expected you to shut me out and ignore me either.”

“I didn’t want you to see me like that,” Axel replied, dropping onto one of the benches and running a hand over his face, “You’ve always seen the good in me, Brook, even when no one else could and I don’t want to disappoint you.”

“This is going to sound cheesy as hell, but I like who you are... reputation and all,” Brooklyn added, “You don’t have to try to be someone else.”

“I’m sorry...”

With a sigh, Brooklyn rolled her eyes and sat beside him. She couldn’t help the smile that formed as he nudged her shoulder, taking her hand and entwining their fingers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥