Status: Active

The Screeching Banshees

Getting Ready

Josie walked back and forth in her room packing the most basic and essential items she needed. One suitcase she packed shirts, sweat, dresses, tennis shoes, and a couple of heels. She walked into the bathroom opening her medicine cabinet. She packed her Advil and her antidepressants.
As Josie finished packing her belongings she was stopped by a tug on her skirt. Kato looked at her whining as he sat back down and tilted his head to the side.

Josie squatted down till she was eye level with her dog. “Kato, boy I’m sorry but you can’t come with me.” She said sadly as he whined again she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I’ll miss you.”

There was a knock at the door. “It’s open Brooklyn.” Josie said walking into the living room with Kato at her heels.

The door flew open as Brooklynn stood there dressed in a crop top, short shorts, her hair in a high ponytail, with heart shaped sunglasses, bright red lips, and a pair of booties. She had two bags by her side and her guitar case over her back. Dash was sitting beside her wagging his tail and ran inside as soon as the door opened.

Josie shook her head at her friend with a smile. Brooklynn smiled and did a spin. “How do I look?” She asked.

“You look like…” Josie couldn’t find the words. “You look great.”

“I hope Tommy thinks so too.” Brooklynn as Josie rolled her eyes. “You ready?”

“Just about are you sure Mia doesn’t mind watching our pets?” Josie asked as she gathered up her notebooks.

Mia was Brooklynn’s older sister by 2 years she was cool for the most part but she was a bit absentminded.

“Nah it’ll give Mia something to do besides getting lost in her own little world.” Brooklynn said then lifted her shades staring at Josie’s outfit. “You did pack some cute clothes right?”

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Josie asked looking at her outfit.

She was wearing a gray hoodie, black skinny jeans, with a pair of converses. Her hair was down in a straight fashion and she wore minimal makeup.

“Nothing but I hope you’re not gonna be wearing just your oversized hoodies you’re so fond of is all.” Brooklynn said then smirked. “You wanna look cute for Nikki.”

Josie sighed. “Brooklynn this is just two bands on tour it’s nothing else but that and it’s not gonna evolve into anything other than that.”

Brooklynn snorted. “When Nikki approached you tell me you didn’t want something to happen.”

Truthfully Josie had thought about Nikki a little and just last night after getting off the phone with him she had a rather steamy dream involving him which when she woke up required her to change her undergarments.

“Your silence speaks volumes Josie.” Brooklynn said breaking her out her thoughts.

“Nope I haven’t thought about him at all.” Josie said grabbing her purse.

“Girl that’s a damn lie that man is a sexy beast.” Brooklynn said. “If I didn’t have a thing for Tommy Lee I’d be all over Nikki.” “Have you ever seen that man’s ass in a pair of leather pants?”

“No.” Josie said knowing it was a lie.

“They make his ass look so delicious makes me wanna take a bite of it.” Brooklynn said giggling making Josie roll her eyes.

She had found herself a couple of times admiring Nikki’s ass in those leather pants. She sure wasn’t going to let Brooklynn know that though so she could use that as ammunition against her and tease her on this tour.

“And this conversation is over.” Josie said grabbing her shades and placing them on top of her head. “Ready?”

“Yep.” Brooklynn said popping the p.

Josie followed Brooklynn and their dogs out the front door as she closed the door she took a final look at her apartment before locking the door and shutting it.

“Mia are you sure you’re okay with this?” Josie asked. “Pet sitting isn’t an easy job.”

“Josie will you breath?” Mia said as she walked through her sister’s apartment with her bags. “I got this.”

Mia was an attractive 26 year old about a couple of inches taller than Brooklynn. They both had the same chocolate brown eyes though Mia’s skin was lighter than her sisters and her hair was straighter.

“How much care do they require?” Mia asked taking off her sunhat.

“Well Kato requires a daily brushing and daily exercise.” Josie said.

Mia snorted. “What pet doesn’t require those two things?”

“Dash needs to be fed carefully due to his size he can become overweight real easily.” Brooklynn said. “He also sheds daily so be ready to swipe down the furniture every day.”

“Kato sheds around this time of year too.” Josie said.

“Anything else?” Mia asked crossing her arms and raising both brows.

“Nope that’s all.” Josie said before squatting down to Kato. “I’ll see you soon boy I love you.”
Kato whined and licked Josie’s face making her laugh she petted Dash before walking out the door.

“I still can’t believe you’re going on tour with Motley Crue.” Mia said.

“Me neither.” Brooklynn said.

“So tell me is that Tommy Lee even more mouthwatering in person?” Mia asked.
Brooklynn grinned. “Hell yes and he’s a great kisser.”

“You kissed him?” Mia asked her sister who nodded which made her squeal. “You little skank!”

Brooklynn chuckled. “It didn’t go that far.”

Mia’s eyes widen. “But if it does…ooh!” “Little sis you better give me all the details while you’re on this tour.” “Okay?”

“Okay.” Brooklynn said laughing as she picked Dash up to hug him. “I love you boy.” She put him down scratching behind his ears then hugged her sister. “Thank you again for this Mia I love you.”

“I love you too little sis now go out there and set the world on fire.” Mia said smacking her ass. “Go get kick some ass!”

“We will!” Brooklynn said as she walked out the door.

Brooklynn and Josie sat on the sidewalk in front of the apartment complex waiting to be picked up. Josie occasionally shooting Brooklynn annoyed faces cause the latter had been clicking her tongue for the last five minutes.

“Brooklynn can you please stop?” Josie asked rubbing her temples to ease her headache.

“Nope.” Brooklynn said smiling and popping the p.

“Why not?” Josie asked.

“Because it annoys you and as your best friend part of my job is to annoy you.” Brooklynn replied and resumed her tongue clicking.

Josie groaned and laid her head on her knees then looked up hearing a loud vehicle approaching.

“The hell?” Brooklynn and Josie stood up as a RV pulled around the corner dragging the van they had been using for the past eight years behind it.

The RV stopped in front of down as the window slide open as Rodney popped his head out. “Hello beautiful girls!” He exclaimed.

“Rodney what the hell?” Brooklynn asked gesturing to the RV.

“I know isn’t great?” He said grinning like the joker. “It’s a class c motorhome.”

“Tracy bought this?” Brooklynn asked she knew Tracy said she would take care of transportation but she didn’t think she would actually buy an RV.

That moment the door slammed open and Tracy appeared walking around the other side. She leaned against the RV and smiled her hand on her hip.

“I told y’all I take care of it didn’t I?” Tracy said.

“Yeah, but we didn’t except something like this.” Josie said.

“Well, you’re welcome y’all can thank me by getting your asses on so we can get this show on the road.” Tracy said walking back inside.

Rodney shut the engine off and jumped out. “I’ll help you with your bags.”

Josie and Brooklynn nodded their thanks as they made their way inside the RV finding Bexlee and Juno already on. The inside was your standard RV there a sink, stove, refrigerator, a small lounge area with one long bench, a bathroom with a shower, and one bedroom at the end.

“It’s not really roomy but it’s better than all of us bunking in the van.” Tracy said.

“I think it’s wonderful.” Josie said still in awe.

“It’s pretty rad isn’t it?” Juno said smiling.

“It is.” Brooklynn said nodding in agreement.

“Okay sit yourselves down here we go.” Rodney said as he started the engine and pulled away from the apartment complex.
Next they picked up Lyra who lived in a different complex then they picked up Aries who still lived with her parents.

“Okay Josie give us the 411.” Lyra said drinking from a juice box.

“Nikki said their managers Doug Thaler and Doc McGhee they want us to meet them in front of the Ritz hotel.” Josie said. “Their managers want to go over some things with us and for us to meet each other formally.”

“Sounds good to me let me know when we get there.” Lyra said finishing her juice before slipping her shades over her eyes to sleep.

It was almost five by the time the Banshees made it to the Ritz Rodney slowed down seeing a large coach bus parked on the sand. He came to a stop and killed the engine. Josie who had been gazing out the window looking at the passing sights looked up. Brooklynn and Juno who were playing a game of Uno ceased their playing. Bexlee put the bookmark in her copy of The Dark Half. Aries finished painting her nails a dark shade of blue quickly blew her nails. Lyra got up and stretched her muscles before yawning and making her way to the front.

She came in the middle where Rodney and Tracy were sitting in the drivers and passenger seats respectively.

“So that’s their tour bus.” Lyra stated. “That’s them.”

“Yeah.” Rodney said nodding as Josie came up front.

For some seconds they all just looked at the coach bus looking for any sign of life. The bus was dark the windows completely black giving no indication that anyone was inside. They were all gamed to go on this tour now they were all hesitant.

“It looks empty.” Josie said.

“Yeah, Rodney can you see if anyone’s inside?” Lyra asked.

Rodney slide open the driver’s window and stuck his head out listening for sounds.

“I hear laughing and talking so they’re onboard.” Rodney said closing the window.

“So how do we approach the bus?” Lyra asked resting her chin on Josie’s shoulder.

“With extreme caution that’s how.” Aries said coming to stand next to her. “How do we know this isn’t some kind of an ambush?”

“What makes you say that?” Lyra asked raising her head to look at her.

Aries shrugged. “You know back in their Shout at the Devil days they were rumored to practice satanic rituals and shit.” “How do we know they’re not just waiting for us to come on there so they can use us as their human sacrifices and what not?”

“God, where do you get this stuff room?” Josie asked raising her eyebrow.

“I watch too much TV.” Aries admitted meekly.

“Obviously.” Lyra said. “Well we just gonna sit here all night or go over?” “Since we’re being cautious I think only two people should go first.”

“Josie you should go since Nikki approached you with this offer first.” Tracy said. “Plus you’re a familiar face to him.”

“I’ll go with you in case you need protection.” Rodney said Josie nodded in agreement.

“Okay.” Josie said zipping up her hoodie. “Let’s go.”

“Be careful.” Brooklynn called out.

“We will be.” Josie and Rodney said in unison as Juno opened the door and they walked out as the door slammed behind them.

Josie and Rodney slowly approached the bus nothing but the sound of crickets and the crunch of gravel underneath their feet. As they got closer Josie could hear laughter and loud talking. She took a deep breath as they neared the door.

“Scared?” Rodney asked.

Josie blushed in embarrassment but nodded. “I’m with you.” Rodney said grabbing her hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. Josie smiled in thanks as they finally stood in front of the door. She hesitated then looked at Rodney who gave her a reassuring smile and a small nod.
Josie finally knocked three times on the door. Inside all the noise ceased Josie glanced at the nearest window seeing a face peeking through the blinds then it disappeared. Then they heard footsteps walking doors the door and the outside light flashed on briefly blinding them as the door opened. Standing in the doorway was a older looking man with a no nonsense look on his face after looking them both over he spoke.

“See you’ve made it.” He finally said then focused his attention on Josie. “Based on the description I’m guessing you’re Josie.”

“Yes…yes sir.” Josie said nodded.

He chuckled then looked at Rodney. “And you are…

“Their manager my name’s Rodney sir.” Rodney said sticking out his hand. Doc took it with a strong firm grip making Rodney wince slightly which made Josie giggle under her breath.

“Well I’m Doc McGee I’ve heard a lot about you.” Doc said then looked around. “I thought there was more of you.”

“There is.” Josie said then looked at the RV where the rest of the band and Tracy were peeking their heads out the door. “It’s okay come on.”

Doc looked and chuckled seeing the heads peering at him. “I see being careful aren’t we?” “Well that’s smart you can never be too careful, come on the guys are waiting for you.”
Josie smiled at Doc before walking up the stairs with Rodney close behind. The bus was way bigger than their little RV it was almost like a hotel on wheels. Josie stopped short though her breath catching in her throat as she saw Motley Crue and Doug Thaler sitting in the longue area. They’re attention on her as they all looked her over she briefly met Nikki’s eyes as he gave her his signature smile.

The rest of the banshees all came on they all stopped having the same reaction as Josie. For a while both bands just stared as if trying to get a read on the other.

“Holy shit that’s Motley Crue.” Lyra said breaking the silence and making the Crue laugh.

“Well we know who we are.” Tommy said his eyes locking with Brooklynn’s. “Mind to tell us who you are personally?”

“Well we’re The Screeching Banshees.” Josie said. “I’m Josie I’m the lead singer.” “This is Brooklynn lead guitarist, Lyra bass guitar, Aries backing guitar, Bexlee keyboards and turntables, and our drummer Juno.” Josie went down pointing at everyone respectfully. “And this is Rodney our manager and Tracy our other manager.”

“It’s nice to finally meet the band the Crue’s been boasting about these past two days.” Doug said.

“Not all of us have been boasting.” Vince said getting looks from the other three.
Doug ignored him. “I’m Doug Thaler and that’s Doc McGee we’re the Crue’s managers.” “Nikki’s informed us kinda last minute of an offer he made you to tour with us.”

Josie nodded. “That’s right.”

“Well I’m gonna be honest with you that I’m not 100 percent happy about it.” Doug said. “You’re not a well-known band which is a risk for a tour of this magnitude it’s a risk because if we bank on a band that’s not known to open to us it could possibly bomb the tour.”

“It’s understandable but I hope you’re at least willing to take a risk on us.” Josie said.

“Me and Doc have never heard you, you wouldn’t happen to have a demo tape?” Doug asked.

“Got it.” Rodney always carried around a demo tape and a recorder on himself somewhere. He put the small cassette in the player then pressed play as the opening acoustic guitar of Questions and
Lies began playing.

So you gonna tell or ya gonna lay there?
Could you just say it to me, say it to me?
Could you just tell me anything?
Are you gonna lay there, oh baby say it to me
Did you ever think that we would be at a place where
You ask me “do you still love me?”
I ask you, “does the sea ever dry?”
We go on answering question with questions and lies

Rodney clicked the cassette player off they all looked trying to Doug’s reaction.

“I’ll admit it’s not like anything I’ve ever heard.” Doug said then glanced at Josie. “You have a stunning voice.”

Josie blushed. “Thank you.”

“What genre do you call yourselves?” Doc asked.

“We just call ourselves a rock band.” Brooklynn spoke up. “But we’ve been called experimental and alternative.”

Doug nodded. “Y’all are good but I’m still not sure.”

Lyra sighed. “Okay you know what let’s cut the bullshit.” Lyra said surprising the Crue and Doug with her bluntness. “We’re an unknown band we get it, we get you’re scared as hell about risking the opening act on an unknown band that doesn’t even fit into a particular genre. “I’ll tell you one thing though we’re not a good band we’re a GREAT band and if you can’t see that then that’s your loss.”

Doug looked at Lyra silently with an impressed look. Josie then spoke.

“We understand how big the risk is to this tour and we won’t do anything to affect the success of this tour.” Josie went on confidently. “We’ve been doing this since we were 16 we’re all either 23, 24 or 25 now and we’ve been waiting for it seems forever to be given an opportunity to get ourselves and our name out there.” “Everyone has to start somewhere there once was a time when nobody knew who the hell Motley Crue was.” “Someone took a risk on them, gave them a chance and now look where they’re at.” “We want to make a name not only for ourselves but open up doors and represent all the women in the rock industry who are struggling to make it all because the male dominated world of rock is scared of a women being as good if not better than they are at rocking.” “We can’t do that though if you don’t take a chance on us it’s like Lyra said if you can’t see our talent and potential than that’s your loss and there’s no reason for us to be here.” “It’s not just sad for us not to be given a chance but it’ll be sad for the world to miss out on hearing us rock just as hard as the men can.”

As Josie finished she noticed Motley Crue even Vince looked impressed by her passionate speech. Josie looked at her fellow band members Brooklynn gave a faint smile of approval and Rodney gave her a thumbs up. She smiled then turned back to face the Crue and their mangers.
Doug finally stood up and walked till he was standing in front of her.

“You’ve got a lot of spunk.” He said then glanced at Lyra and the rest of the band. “I can tell you all do.” “I like that because you’re gonna need it because you’re touring with Motley Crue.”

Josie gasped softly. “Seriously?’

Doug chuckled then smiled. “Seriously.”

Josie looked at her band member who all starting either squealing or talking excitedly among themselves.

“Thank you so much for this.” Josie said and without thinking hugged Doug.

Doug was surprised but returned her hug when she realized what she was doing she quickly let go. “Sorry.” She said blushing in embarrassment.

Doug chuckled. “It’s quite alright now that everything’s been decided I’ll leave you all to get acquainted.”

Doug disappeared into the back followed by Doc until the Banshees were left alone with Motley Crue.