Devil in Paradise

Old suitcase, clean getaway

“Can’t you just wait a year before going to L.A?” Johnny asks as we toss the rest of my belongings in my beat up VW bus. “Come on, me, you and Vic have been best friends for how long?”

“You know I can’t wait.” I sigh as I take a glance at the house I spent my whole childhood in. But it was more of a prison than a home. “I’m 18. I need to get away from her and her string of boyfriends. Since dad died, it hasn’t been great. I love you and Vic but I can’t wait.”

“Ophelia, I get it.” He sighs. “I just don’t want anything bad to happen to you out there while me and Vic are stuck here in Ohio. I can’t protect you when you’re a million miles away.”

“You seriously have to stop being my knight in shining armor.” I chuckle before pulling him into a hug. “You have Gretchen and your mother to worry about. Not the whore of the neighborhood.” With that sentence he pushes me away and his blue eyes darken. “What? That’s what everyone calls me. Hell my own mother calls me that.”

“And they’re fucking assholes.” He states. “You’re not a whore. And your mother is seriously a word I rather not use.”

“You can call her a cunt, I won’t judge.” I laugh. “But seriously, I need to get out of Ohio and fast. Hell by the time you and Vic get out there, I’ll have a place you can crash at until you make it big.”

“I’m gonna miss you O.” He sighs, tears forming in his eyes. I pull him into a tight hug and bury my face in his chest. “I don’t want anything to happen to you while I can’t protect you.”

“Honestly whatever happens to me out there can’t compare to the shit that has happened to me here.” I mutter into his chest, causing Johnny to tighten the hug. I pull away enough for me to look up at the face of the boy that has been my rock. “You and Vic are going to stay out of trouble, right?”

He lets out a chuckle. “You know the answer to that.”

“Be good. Please?” I beg him as I pull away. “I’ll be texting Gretchen daily to make sure you’re staying out of trouble, got it?”

“Yes mom.” He rolls his eyes. “Just stay safe, O. That’s all I’m asking.”

“I’m a big girl, I can handle whatever the city of angels throws at me….”


That was such a fucking lie…..
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Lowlife by Poppy.

comment&subscribe? Want to be a character? Let me know! Also want a playlist for this story? If you read any of my other stories, I've been putting together playlists featuring the songs I'm using for chapter titles.