Hell of a Night

Give me tall dark and handsome. Mix it up with something strong

“Sutton, I have the perfect guy for you!” Brandi tells me over drinks, causing the guys around us to groan, as well as their wives. All of us know Brandi and have been victims of her hookups. “Guys I’m serious, he’s perfect for her. He’s just her type!”

“What’s her type exactly?” Aaron Murray, the ex, asks, chuckling.

“Tall, dark, handsome and Italian.” She smiles. “Plus he’s also a quarterback.”

“How is being a quarterback my type?” I question the brunette. “I only dated one QB and that was our first two years in college.”

“Why do I keep forgetting you and Aaron dated?” Sharon, Aaron’s wife, asks with a laugh. “We really need to go out for drinks and talk about all of his annoying habits. I’d like to hear someone else’s thoughts.”

“Don’t you dare.” He playfully glares at his wife before laughing and kissing her. It’s nice to finally see him happy.

“Would the guy you’re trying to hook me up with is named Jimmy?” I question her, causing her to gasp.

“How the hell did you know!?”

“I ran into him in the elevator after checking in.” I smile. “He mentioned something about you trying to hook him up with one of your bridesmaids.”

“So what are your thoughts on my boy?” She asks, wiggling her eyebrows at him. “Cute right?”

“He has an amazing smile.” I admit. “But Brandi, a relationship isn’t in the cards right now. I’ve got a lot of shit going on with my career. I can’t put a guy through that.”

“He’s a football player, he’s used to the constant travel.” She states. “He’s an NFL player.”

“What team does he play for?” David Andrews, center for the Patriots and possibly my best friend, asks. “And what’s his last name?”

She blushes. “You’d know him. He was drafted to your team. He was supposed to be groomed to be Brady’s replacement.”

“Garoppolo is your Jimmy?” David chuckles before turning to me. “He’s a great guy, Sut. Trust me. You could do a lot worse.”

“No means no.” I sigh. “A relationship isn’t in the cards for me. No matter how awesome of a guy he is. I’m not going to be responsible for breaking a guy’s heart. Can’t do it.”

“Where is Jimmy anyway?” David asks. “I haven’t seen him in a while.”

“He’s having drinks with Nick.” Brandi replies. “He wants to get to know the man I’m about to marry. I’ve been friends with Jimmy since we were in diapers. He’s always been protective of me.”

“Poor Jimmy,” I chuckle. “My brother isn’t exactly pleasant company.”

“And why is that short stuff?” I hear my brother’s voice ask behind me. I turn around and see him and Jimmy standing there with PBRs in their hands.

“Your taste in beer is horrendous and you aren’t fun.” I smile at him. “Ask your former teammates.” I turn to the boys in front of me and they all avoid eye contact with me. I can’t help the laugh that escapes as I turn back to my brother. “Hoes ain’t loyal, huh?”

“Did you seriously call yourself a hoe?” Nick chuckles. “You’re something else.”

“Well people have called me worse.” I shrug as both him and Jimmy take their seats next to Brandi.

“Where did O-line disappear to?” Nick questions. “Is it seriously just Aaron and David?”

“Again, hoes ain’t loyal.” I laugh. “Besides, David and Aaron are seriously the best part of the O-Line.”

“I’m so going to tell Arthur you said that.” Aaron chuckles. “You might just break his heart.”

“Add him to the list of broken hearts.” I laugh.

“Jimmy, I just talked to you on the phone the other day.” David starts. “Why the hell didn’t you tell me you’d be in Georgia?”

“Didn’t think it would have been a big deal.” Jimmy laughs. “But I did mention I had a wedding to go to. I just didn’t tell you where.” Jimmy then turns to Brandi. “Why didn’t you tell me you knew David Andrews?”

“Didn’t think to mention it.” She shrugs. “He’s not like this superstar in my eyes. He’s just David. Just like you’re just Jimmy.”

“The tall, dark, handsome Italian quarterback.” I chuckle, earning a confused look from Jimmy. “Those were Brandi’s selling points. Apparently I’m that bridesmaid she was trying to hook you up with.”

“Oh okay then.” He chuckles. “Now I feel even worse for that comment.”

“You’re good.” I assure him with a smile. “I would have made the same comment if Brandi did that to me as soon as I walked into the hotel.”

“I’m telling you, you guys are perfect for each other.” Brandi defends herself. “But noooo, you guys rather think of your careers than finding love.”

“I’m just coming off an injury, I have a lot to prove this upcoming season.” Jimmy defends his actions.

“And I just released a new CD.” I defend my own reasoning. “That includes press tours, national tour, international tour and everything in between. Jimmy may be a good guy, but again a relationship is—-”

“Isn’t in the cards, I know.” Brandi sighs. This causes Nick to rub her back for comfort.

“I know you want them to be as happy as you are but you can’t force it, babe.” Nick tells her. “You just have to let this happen naturally.”

“But they’d be perfect together.” Brandi pouts.

“Then love will find away.” I tell her, appealing to her romantic side. “But you can’t force it.”

“Fine, but when you guys get married I have the right to tell you guys I told you so at your wedding.” Brandi points at us in a semi-threatening matter.

“Sure, you can do that.” Jimmy laughs at his childhood friend before looking at me. His smile growing as he watches me.

That damn smile is going to be the end of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: I Feel a Sin Comin' On by Pistol Annies

Playlist

Still looking for characters. Let me know if you are interested in being one. You don't have to be dating a football player. You could just be friends with Sutton.

comment&subscribe?

Image
This damn smile.