Immortal

Erase your memories from so long ago

Alex/Eight

While One attempts to go over the plan of attack, I sit far away from everyone. But the distance doesn’t stop the stares. Everyone is staring at me and ignoring the words coming out of One’s mouth; which greatly annoys the man.

“I get it, she’s pretty but can we stop staring at the Russian long enough to pay attention to what I’m saying?” One huffs. “There will be enough time to get to know our newest comrade, okay?”

“Why should we trust her?” The blonde woman, I think her name is Two, questions One. Her eyes never leave me, however. “We’re going against the Russians, she could be a sleeper agent for all we know.”

“Not all Russians are sleeper agents.” I point out. “But you’re right; you have no reason to trust me. Like I have no reason to trust you. But let’s face it, thanks to One we have to put an ounce of trust in each other or all of us will perish.”

“What makes you an invaluable part of the team?” Two questions me. “What can you bring to the table?”

“Isn’t that a question you should be asking boss man over there?” I nod towards One. “He sought me out, not the other way around darling.”

“Why don’t you start talking about yourself?” Seven suggests. “Like for example, you can tell us how you and Four know each other? You must have been close if you attended his funeral.”

I roll my eyes before turning towards One. “Do I have to?”

“Enlighten them.” He shrugs. “Keep personal information to a minimum though. We don’t want to damn ourselves to family status anymore than we already are.”

“My father was former KGB; my mother was a trained sleeper agent from what her diaries explained.” I start, earning an all knowing smirk from Two. “Father went AWOL when I was younger and my mother died several years ago. Officially she died in a helicopter accident over some mountain range in Russia. Unofficially she just disappeared without a trace. Some say she went missing because of the mission she was assigned to. I was 16 at the time.”

“How do we know you weren’t trained to be a sleeper agent as well?” Seven asks. “I mean your mother was.”

“My mother didn’t want to be like hers.” I shrug. “She didn’t want that life for me. She kept me at a distance. About a month before she died, she sent me off to live with long lost relatives in London. She knew she was going to die; her diary said as much.”

“So that doesn’t give us anything about why One hired you.” Five points out. “He said you grieved in violent ways, what happened after Four’s apparent death?”

“Ukrainian Mafia.” I reply. “I was a pretty face, good behind a pistol and badass getaway driver. They used and abused me, which is probably why I’m here. The Ukrainian and Russian Mafias are at war with each other, hence why Russia is building something big and dangerous.”

“How the hell did you get involved with a bunch of thugs?” Three asks.

“The jewels Four was stealing before he “died” were property of the Ukrainian Mafia’s head honcho. I told them exactly where to find the treatrous band of thieves.”

“You sold them out?” Billy...Four questions me. His tone is somewhere between pride and anger. I’m not exactly sure which one he’s leaning towards the most. “They’re dead because of you.”

“They deserved it.” I shrug. “They shouldn’t have left you behind. They should have helped you. Maybe if they were loyal, things would have been different.”

Two looks me over. An appreciative smile appears on her lips. “I still don’t trust you.”

“I still don’t trust you either.” I smirk at her. “Now can we continue this meeting? I’d like to actually get some sleep. I’ve been awake for well over 24 hours.”

“And you were handling guns?” Three exclaims before a slew of curse words in Spanish flows from his lips. I just let out a chuckle.

“Alright focus people!” One exclaims. “Let’s get back to work.” This time everyone seems to be paying attention to him. Everyone but Billy. His eyes are still on me, questioning everything I shared with the group. Probably questioning everything I’ve said in the almost three years of dating.

**

After the meeting, everyone left the area. Just as I’m about to walk out into the desert air, a hand grasps my wrists to hold me back. I whip around and see Billy standing there, seething.

“You lied to me.” He blurts out. “You bloody lied to me Alex. Out of everyone in my life, I thought you’d be the last person to do this.”

A humorless chuckle escapes my lips. “You have some fucking nerve to be mad at me for hurting you. I may have lied about my childhood and who my parents were. I may have kept things from you. But you faked your fucking death. I mourned you. I watched your mother mourn you. I went after the people I thought were responsible for this. I fell back into a life I didn’t want for myself; that my mother didn’t want for me. So I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that my mother was a Russian sleeper agent or my father was formerly with the KGB. But I kept that stuff hidden to protect you. Can you say the same things about what you did to me?”

“That’s not fair, Alex.” He sighs, running his fingers through his blond hair. “Since faking my death, I’ve been able to do amazing things. I’ve finally have something to look forward to in my life.”

“And you didn’t with me?” I ask. “You had nothing to look forward to during those 2 years we were together?”

“Alex…” He starts, only to be cut off by my pointer finger on his lips, hushing him.

“Don’t try to charm your way out of this Billy, it’s not going to work.” I tell him. “Your charm is dead to me, just like you…” With that I walk out of there and head straight to my trailer. Saying yes to One was definitely not what I expected.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Wasteland by EarlyRise

comment&subscribe?