Immortal

You're a sweet shot of kerosene. When I threw it back, it poisoned me

“So you and Four, huh?” Seven asks as he joins me out on the range. “That must be some story.”

“It was the most imperfect, perfect relationship I had…” I shrug. “I mean up until he faked his death. That was a dickish move.”

“You understand why he had to do it, right?” Seven questions me. “He was stuck between a rock and a hard place.”

“He wouldn’t have been stuck there if he would have just listened to me.” I counter his point. “I warned him. I begged him not to do that job. But he brushed off my bad feelings and vibes and did what he wanted to do anyway. Men.” I scoff the last sentence.

“You loved him, didn’t you?”

I look over at Seven. By the looks of it, his questioning is genuine and not mocking me like every other guy that has asked that question. A sigh escapes my lips before a small smile dances across them. “I nearly spent 3 years with him. I have never stayed in a place long enough for me to develop attachments. But he...he was different.”

“And he royally fucked it up by faking his death?” Seven chuckles.

“Royally.” I agree, chuckling myself. “So how do you tie into everything? You don’t seem to be the type to work with criminals such as Four and Three. You’re not CIA like Two and I’m sure you’re not the doctor type like Five. Or a Femme Fatale like myself?”

“Femme Fatale, is that what you’re calling yourself?” Seven raises an eyebrow and soon a smirk develops on his lips. “I like it.”

“One mentioned that’s what he’s calling me.” I shrug. “So spill, Seven… what are you?”

“One said he was looking for an operative such as myself.” He shrugs. “I’m Army trained and my longest relationship was with my gun. I’m a good shot and obviously had One’s attention.”

“I wonder how he finds us.” I bite my lower lip as my gaze goes towards the HQ building. “How the hell did seven people, from completely different backgrounds, find themselves on One’s radar?”

“Well you were on his radar because Four was on his.” He shrugs. “But I get where you are coming from. I’ve been asking myself since the day I was recruited.”

“Think about it. He’s Bruce Waye and all of us are his Dick Graysons.”

“You do know there are more than one Robin, right?” Seven laughs, causing me to shrug.

“Dick Grayson is the most important Robin though. Fight me.”

“And lose?” He questions. “I rather not shatter my ego, thank you.”

“I’m Alex by the way.” I introduce myself...officially. “I know One doesn’t like using real names but that’s mine. I figured it was time for someone other than Four to know it.”

“Alex. You certainly look like an Alex.” He smiles before holding out his hand. “I’m Blaine and it’s nice to meet you.” I smile before putting my hand in his for a handshake. “It’s going to be a pleasure to work alongside of you.”

“I second that statement.”

**

“I hate ASMR videos.” I mutter to myself as I walk into HQ and see Billy watching an ASMR video while One is deep into his research. “How the hell can he concentrate while listening to that!?”

“It’s supposed to be calming.” Billy shrugs.

“It stresses me out.” I counter before sitting across from Billy at the table. I stretch out my legs and place the balls of my heels on the table. “So what’s going on bossman?” I ask One. “How’s research going?”

“Not well. I’m having a hard time finding the whereabouts of a big name in this.”

“What’s the name?” I ask. “Remember, that’s why you brought me on. I’m more than just a pretty face and a decent shot. I know everything there is to know about the Ukraine and Russia.” One just shoots me a look that tells me everything I need to know. He doesn’t trust me just yet. “Fine, come get me when you actually have news. Don’t summon me again for stupid shit.” Just as I’m about to get up, One tosses a folder on the table, right between me and Billy.

“You two are going to case out this person’s apartment. You two and Seven are driving to Los Angeles tonight.” I open up the folder and see Anastasia Petrova. She’s an upcoming Russian actress. And also the daughter of the man simply known as Krestnyy Otets Razbitogo Serdtsa; otherwise The Godfather of the Broken Heart. This man has made more wives widows than any other man in the history of Russian Mafia. This alone makes me nervous.

“You have a deathwish don’t you?” I ask One. “Or better yet, you have no problem sending three people into certain death?”

“So I take it you know who we are dealing with?” The smirk on his lips is making me really want to slap him.

“The don’t call him The Godfather of the Broken Heart for shits and giggles.” I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. “He has nothing to do with this. He’s not a fucking idiot.”

“No he’s not.” One agrees. “But that doesn’t mean he’s not a connection or a contact to the person in charge. We need to flip over every stone. And the first stone starts with his daughter’s apartment. Get your shit ready, you guys leave tonight.” With that both Billy and I are dismissed. I just roll my eyes before getting up and walking out of the trailer; Billy isn’t too far behind me.

“You look worried.” Billy’s deep accented voice states behind me. “I didn’t think Alexandria Smirnov got worried.” I turn around to look at him.

“I worried about you that night.” I counter. “My worry is often overlooked, if I recall correctly.”

“One lost his mind, hasn’t he?” He questions. “The man we are dealing with is insane, isn’t he?”

“Insane is a nice way of saying it.” A humorless chuckle escapes my lips. “Let’s just say, his name is fitting. You truly don’t want to mess with this man, let alone mess with his daughter.”

“I’m sure our Femme Fatale can flirt her way into the apartment.” He smirks. “You were always good at using your pretty face and amazing body to get whatever you wanted.”

“But still you went off to steal those jewels.” I counter, rolling my eyes. “Come on, let’s pack our shit and get ready. This’ll be a long night.” I turn away and start towards my trailer.

“What were you and Seven talking about earlier?” He yells in my direction.

A chuckle escapes my lips but I keep walking, only looking back long enough to tell him, “jealousy never looked great on you Billy…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Tell That Devil by Jill Andrews.

comment&subscribe?