Can’t Look Away

89: Can I Show You Instead?

“You know that this is your furniture, right?”

Cassie, who’d been checking her phone for a text from Lionel, quickly dropped it out of sight before she turned around, glancing at Sasha who was sat in the middle of the empty bedroom, fiddling with the half assembled piece of furniture that sat in front of her. It was just an excuse. Lionel had needed Sasha out of the house so that he could set things up, and Cassie had been quick to offer him her assistance, but she knew that Sasha was growing slightly impatient. Cassie was distracted. She was waiting for her cue from Lionel, and it meant that she had kept making excuses to get up and leave the room, something which was playing on Sasha’s nerves. She thought that she was there to help, but after almost three hours, they had made no progress beyond the half assembled cot that sat on the floor in front of her.

“Sorry for being uncomfortable sat on the floor” Cassie retorted “I mean, it’s not like I am pregnant or anything” she added, rolling her eyes exaggeratedly.

Sasha scoffed playfully. “I appreciate that you’re probably uncomfortable” she mused “But you insisted that I come over today and that we do this, so either you start helping, or I go home and leave it to you” she added.

Cassie immediately wanted to insist that Sasha couldn’t go home, but she managed to catch herself. She didn’t want to ruin the surprise that she, Carina and Lionel had worked so hard to keep a secret. It had taken a few weeks. Despite it only being a small affair, there had been a lot to arrange, and finding a gap in everyone’s schedule had been harder than they had been expecting, but it had come together eventually, and Cassie didn’t want to spoil the surprise. She knew how much Lionel was looking forwards to seeing the look on Sasha’s face when she saw what he’d done for her.

“I’m coming” Cassie huffed before she padded back across the room, plopping down onto the floor.

Sasha smirked, shaking her head amusedly. “It’s not going to be that bad” she quipped “Not like when we first moved in together” she added.

Cassie’s laugh was loud and bright as she studied the instruction booklet in her hands. “Your clothes were in suitcases for weeks because we struggled so much with that dresser” she said “Who built it for us in the end?” she asked.

“My father” Sasha replied “Mainly because my mother wouldn’t stop complaining about how I hadn’t unpacked” she added.

“I complained that you didn’t unpack” Cassie replied “You left boxes everywhere” she added.

“You knew what you were getting into” Sasha retorted impishly “I’ve always been a little messy, so it shouldn’t have been a surprise to you” she added.

Cassie scoffed. “You aren’t a little messy” she quipped.

Sasha offered her a playful glare, something which made Cassie grin before she heard her phone buzz. Shuffling back towards her feet, she moved to the spot she had hidden it in and picked it up before a slow smile brightened her features. Typing out a reply, she sent it off to Lionel before she turned around, grinning at Sasha. “We need to go” she announced.

Sasha’s forehead creased. “Go?” she asked “Cass, we’ve barely put together half a crib. Why would we leave?” she added.

“Because we need to” Cassie replied “Trust me” she added.

Sasha frowned, but complied, pushing herself up to her feet. “You’re being weird” she noted.

Cassie let out a slightly excited laugh before she stepped towards Sasha, gently tugging her towards the door. “I know I am” she mused “But you’ll see why in a little while” she added.

“Am I going to like what I see?” Sasha asked.

Cassie’s wide smile was hidden from Sasha as they walked towards the front door. “Yeah, I think so” she answered.

~#~
“You know this is my house, don’t you?”

Cassie, who’d pulled the car to a stop, rolled her eyes, amused by the confusion in Sasha’s voice. She hadn’t stopped asking questions. She knew that there was something she was missing, and Cassie knew how much she hated not being in the know, but despite Sasha’s insistence, she hadn’t said a word, not wanting to accidentally say something that could tip her off.

“Is it?” Cassie quipped playfully, pressing send on the text she had written.

Sasha turned to look at her, an exasperated expression on her feature. “This isn’t funny” she said.

Cassie’s teasing expression softened. “I am just trying to keep myself from saying something stupid” she said “I don’t want to ruin this by saying too much” she added.

“You always say too much” Sasha countered “It’s part of your charm” she added warmly.

Cassie breathed out a soft laugh before she shook her head, her stare drifting back towards the house ahead of them. “Are you wearing mascara?” she asked after a moment of quiet.

“What?” Sasha spluttered.

“Mascara” Cassie repeated “Are you wearing any? If you are, is it waterproof?” she asked.

“I’m not wearing any” Sasha replied “But what on earth has that got to do with anything?” she pressed.

“You’re going cry” Cassie replied. It wasn’t in doubt. When Sasha saw what Lionel had done, the tears were an inevitability.

Sasha opened her mouth to say something more, but was cut off when the front door opened, allowing Lionel to step outside. With a slightly nervous smile on his face, he waved her towards the house, something which caused Sasha to climb out of the car. Feeling butterflies in the pit of her stomach, she walked towards him and took the hand he held out. “Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” she asked.

Lionel let out a nervous laugh before he ducked his head, his cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink. “Can I show you instead?” he asked.

Sasha nodded wordlessly.

Lionel gently squeezed her hand, buying himself a second to compose himself, before he led her through the front door. “I spoke to your mother a few weeks ago” he explained.

“You spoke to my mother alone?” Sasha prodded amusedly.

Lionel smiled shyly. “I did” he confirmed “She said something that stuck with me and it made me do something that I hope you’ll love” he added.

“What did she say?” Sasha asked.

Lionel didn’t say anything for a moment, moving them towards the back door, before he tipped his head towards it. “She said it wasn’t the plans that mattered” he quipped.

Sasha frowned up at him briefly before she followed his nod, her eyes growing wide as she stared out at their garden.

Lionel’s lips quirked up, marvelling at the awe in her eyes. “What do you say?” he whispered softly “Do you want to get married?” he asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)