‹ Prequel: Forever
Status: Active ♥

Always

Sixteen

All anyone could talk about over the next couple of weeks was the beach bonfire and, like everyone else, Brooklyn was excited. It wasn’t just the bonfire that she was looking forward to, it was the chance to get away and be a teenager.

“What are you thinking about?” Brandon asked from his position next to her on the grass.

“The beach bonfire...” Brooklyn replied, “It’s going to sound horrible because you know how much my family means to me, but I’m looking forward to the escape and I feel guilty for it.”

“You shouldn’t feel guilty,” Brandon argued, “I see how much of yourself you give to your family and it’s definitely not a bad thing to want something for yourself, you need this.”

With a nod, Brooklyn sighed as the bell rang to signal the end of lunch and headed to her English class. Sat in her room later that night, she packed the last few items in her bag and picked up her phone as it chimed to find a new message from Axel.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Just packing the last few things for the beach bonfire. What about you?’

‘I didn’t know that you were going to that’

‘I am, Brandon and I’ve gone every year. Plus, I need some time away’

‘Away from me?’

Brooklyn read the message again, staring at the screen and realizing that he was right. She loved him and was happy that they had decided to try again, but it wasn’t the same.

‘Away from everything’

She didn’t want to lie to him, not after everything they’d already been through and, although she knew that the truth may hurt him, it had always worked out for the best. If she was honest, she wished that they could go back to when they first got together and do things differently.

Not getting a response, she put her phone back on her bedside table and glanced up as her dad knocked on the door.

“Hey, you all packed?” he asked as he leaned against the doorframe.

“I am,” Brooklyn replied with a smile.

“I know that I don’t have to give you the drinks and drugs speech, but... just be careful, okay?”

“Dad, I’ll be fine,” Brooklyn reassured, standing up and hugging him, “It’s only three days and besides, Brandon will be there.”

“That doesn’t fill me with much relief,” her dad added, causing Brooklyn to chuckle and hit his arm, “Dinners ready.”

Sat at the kitchen table, Brooklyn listened to her dad talk about his latest shift with Shylo and handed Braxton his juice cup as Jared walked in.

“Eating without me I see,” he stated with mock hurt, kissing Brooklyn’s head and ruffling Braxton’s hair affectionately.

“There’s a plate in the oven,” their dad answered, rolling his eyes and shaking his head in amusement.

It was late by the time Brooklyn headed to bed and she fell asleep almost instantly, waking up early to eat breakfast with her dad. Brandon arrived a little after eight and they put everything in the car, before saying goodbye to everyone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥