Status: Work in Progress

Love Song

I am free again

For some reason I couldn’t get Ava out of my head. I had this nagging feeling that I should go by the jail and see her but stopping by to visit a prisoner wasn’t normal for a bounty hunter.

Since when had I ever followed the rules?

A guard brought Ava into the little phone booth room as I called it and I motioned for her to pick up the phone. She rolls her eyes and complies.

“What are you doing here?” she questions me.

What was I doing here? I asked myself. I really didn’t know the answer to that. “I just – Um… it’s just a courtesy visit. I do that from time to time. I like to make sure… my people are okay and being taken care of.” I say, stammering.

“It’s illegal to abuse prisoners or not feed us so I guess I'm doing as well as expected.”

I guess she was right, how else would she be doing while locked up? I took a moment to study her features; her face had softened a little since the day I booked her a month ago. She had put a few pounds back on and actually looked normal again; most of her bruises had started to fade. But something inside her had changed.

“You look better.” I say into the green phone I was holding to my ear; shifting my weight around, I leaned onto the table.

She nodded saying a sarcastic “Thanks” in reply.

Ava wasn’t the same woman that I had brought in, her attitude had been altered. That doe-eyed little girl looked like she had been taken over by a harsh older woman, one that stood her ground and didn’t take any bullshit.

I guess that’s what jail does to you, I thought to myself. “So…I heard that you see the judge tomorrow morning. Maybe she’ll release you.”

“I doubt it.” she says point-blank.

This conversation wasn’t moving along like I had hoped. Ava wasn’t saying much, but who could blame her. I was a perfect stranger trying to have a forced conversation with a woman I didn’t even know.

Another moment passes and the guard motions to us that time is up. I place the phone back down and leave her sitting in the orange plastic chair. I could feel her eyes piercing my back as I walked out of the room.

With Ava still lingering on my mind I decided to visit again the next day, this time at her court appearance. I stepped in the door just as Judge Tyson called her name.

She didn’t notice me sitting there and I was thankful for that, I wouldn’t want her to think I was some sort of creepy stalker. The judge ended up sentencing her to another month in jail and then she would be (somewhat) free on probation.

Ava's POV:

Freedom was something everyone takes for granted, I never thought I’d have my freedom taken away at the age of thirty one. Some could argue that it was only two months behind bars, some criminals say they could do that little bit of time in their sleep. But I wasn’t a hardened criminal, or at least I didn’t think I was.

My freedom was being drug free for the past two months. That was a freedom that many of those same people couldn’t handle. I on the other hand, was determined to stay this way for the rest of my life.

I walked out of the Honolulu Police Station and into the warm sunlight when my eyes fell upon Leland Chapman, leaning against his truck. The same truck that me brought here.

“I thought you might be in need of a ride home.” He says with a smile.

“Hmm…” was all I could say as he opened the door and motioned for me sit down.

“Listen- “ I start to say but he interrupts.

“I know. I know…you don’t even know me, and you shouldn’t accept a ride from me.” He says, reading my mind.

“Correct” I confirm with a nod of my head.

He’s quiet for a moment as he turns down the main highway.

“Sometimes you just need a helping hand. So, consider me that hand… or that help.” He says, patting the top of my thigh.

A jolt of electricity shot through my veins as his warm hand came into contact with my thigh; a feeling I'd never felt before in my thirty one years. I knew then that I was in trouble.