Past or Future?

Chapter XXIII -Bake Day-

"When you measure ingredients such as flour, use a knife to scrape off the excess part in the measuring cup. Be precise with your measurements because in baking, every little thing matters" I demonstrated to Joville the said procedure. She looked closely her face full of wonder and curiosity. As agreed, Joville started her learning in baking, me as her guide. To be honest, the night before, I watched youtube videos about the basics of baking so as not to teach Joville the wrong method. Also, I've never even done this before, teaching someone up close. Joville was gonna make one of the most basic and classic food in baking. The chocolate chip cookies. "Try measuring the other ingredients Joville just like what I've shown you"

Joville grabbed the measuring cups and copied what I demonstrated. Then she moved onto the wet ingredients and following the instructions she had on her phone. After a moment, everything was measured up.

"What now Art? Do I mix it all together in a bowl or is there a procedure?"

"Let's see what style your recipe has, hmm.. okay it says here you need to mix the dry ingredients together and set them aside, then in another bowl mix the melted butter with brown and white sugar and make sure it has no lumps"

"What are lumps? Isn't that the one wherein you slow down your car to avoid getting your butt kicked?"

Damn, Joville looked so innocent I feel bad for chuckling a bit.

"Haha no those are bumps. Lumps happen when you don't mix your ingredients well, like for example your flour not being sifted. Even if the recipe says add flour, you need to sift it to avoid having that small ball figure consisting of ingredients that curled up"

Joville snorted "Okay, then what do you mean by sift?"

This is gonna take a while. . .

It's been a while since this kitchen was messy. Flour scattered on the table, measuring cups, measuring spoons, whisks, mixing bowls in the sink, a rag on the floor because Joville accidentally spilled some milk. But even though it was like that, it felt alive. It's been a while since I had some company in here, like a whole full day. The cookies were now in the oven, Joville wiped off sweat from her forehead looking accomplished but at the same time exhausted. She looked at the sink and groaned.

"Hey, I'll wash you wipe. It's not advisable to wet your hands after, it'll shake uncontrollably"

Joville looked at me gratefully grabbing a clean towel. I went over to the sink and started washing thoroughly. Both of us were silent, having thoughts in our own minds. I caught Joville catching glimpses of me from time to time, I have a feeling she wants to say something or to open up. I started counting in my head. 1. . .2. . .3. . .4. . .5. . .6. . .7. . .8. . .9 ... ... ... .10. . .11. .12

"So, you and Dan huh? I've heard from Reese you were on date night" Joville's voice sounded so casual it was almost impossible to trace the jealousy in there. Almost.

"Yeah, that's what he told you?" as nonchalantly as I can, Joville nodded not saying anymore. "Dan's a pretty interesting guy once you hang out with him from outside work. It was not specifically date night, more like a casual friendly bonding"

"What did you two talk about?"

I shrugged "Oh you know, random stuff, things he's interested in, if he plays any sport that stuff" I handed her the mixing bowl looking at her face, yep, in her eyes there was curiosity and jealousy.

Beep Beep. Beep Beep. I guess fate was on Joville's side for now, distracting her away from this conversation. Joville grabbed the cooling rack and placed it on the table. I washed the last utensil and started wiping it.

"Ow! Shit!" Joville cried loudly.

Immediately I went to her side, she was shaking her hand up and down emphasizing each shake.

"What happened? You okay?"

"I think one of your pot holders has a small hole on it, I felt the heat from the inside, sorry I was just surprised by the pain" Joville looked apologetically now blowing her burned finger.

I grabbed some ice "Here, let me" I took Joville's arm and carefully placed the ice above it. Holding it delicately, I watched her expression. Her lips were parted, her face disoriented, she was staring straight at me. An idea lit up in my head, after a minute or two I removed the ice and ever so gently brought the injured finger to my lips not breaking eye contact from Joville. She watched me trying to keep a straight face, failing miserably, I shook my head smiling.

"You'll live Joville and this" indicating her finger "is lesson number one. Always make sure your protective gear is not defective but I guess that's my fault because I haven't checked it lately. Sorry, princess"

Joville rolled her eyes "Can we taste it now?"

"You can, just be careful, it's still hot. Also, when you taste it now then eat it again later after it's cooled down, there's a huge difference" I waggled my eyebrows.

"Oh, but there's something else I really, really want to taste" Joville gave me a seductive smile.

I grabbed a cookie, blew on it making sure it's not that hot and extended my arm just right in front of her lips. I gave her a wicked grin and pulled my hand back right before she could stop me. I took a bite "Not bad, a bit too soft for me though, c'mon try it"

Joville walked closer to me and lowered my arm taking a bite of the cookie I'm holding, purposely brushing her lower lip on my thumb and chewed slowly not breaking eye contact. Her eyes widened "I can't believe I made these! I agree a bit too soft but overall I'm loving it"

I smiled encouragingly, so this is how it's going to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo