Status: Active

Lipstick and Branding

Chapter Three

March Thirtieth.
The most dismal day of the year. And now, Ginni is starting to really despise the late winter, early spring. First her mom died after her sister's horse spooked her mom's horse, causing the stallion to rear back, and keel over, rolling it's one ton form onto Evelyn Dutton. it caused severe internal hemorrhaging and crushed her ribs and pelvis. Ginni wasn't there when it happened, she was only five and her father instructed one of the wranglers to keep an eye on her while her mom went riding with Beth and Kayce; while Jamie, Lee and her father branded cattle.
Granted, Ginni vaguely remembered her mom, but she still felt the heartache of not having a mother figure to guide her through womanhood. Beth helped her with some of it, but when she left for college, Ginni had no one. No one to explain to her the process of love and boys. By the time Beth left, Ginni had just barely had her first period, from then it was up to the ranchers to explain something or worse, her father.

It's been two weeks since Lee was killed at Daybreak, which casted a dark shadow of the ranch. Her father is being blamed for the coroner 'blowing himself up.' She knew the truth, but she chose to not pay any mind to anything the ranchers do the protect the ranch.

Ginni decided to stay up in her room for a bit, she contemplated going up to the hot springs that sat up a mountain on the Yellowstone property. It was rather warm today and there was hardly any snow capping the mountain peaks. Today would be a perfect day to go for a ride. She picked up her satchel and added an extra pair of clothes, then made her way down to the kitchen to grab a snack. While she was descending the stairs, she could hear Jamie yelling on the phone in the kitchen.
"Mike, I gotta go."
She heard him say while she entered the kitchen and rummaged through the cupboards. The mud room door opened, and in walked Beth, wearing nothing but a loosely tied bathrobe and a menacing scowl. Ginni raised an eyebrow.
"What are you doing?"
Jamie asked reluctantly.
Beth ignored the both of them and grabbed two bottles of Roederer Champagne. Ginni stuffed her back with the snacks, various crackers and protein bars.
"What are you doing?!"
Jamie asked again, while following her outside. Ginni peaked out the window to see what Beth was up to. She had the trough heater in the water. The two siblings were arguing before Beth allowed the robe to fall in the dirt as she lifted her leg to get into the water.

"Well, that's one way to cope."
Ginni shrugged while grabbing a few water bottles and shoving those into her satchel as well, it was a bit of a long ride, although Ginni wanted to be prepared. She planned on being up there till just before supper. Ginni walked into the living room to grab a pistol from the gun case.

"Any reason for the gun, Princess?"
Her dad startled her from the couch.

"Oh, just going for a ride, Bear Country ya know."
Ginni shrugged, while tucking it in her waist band. Her father grunted in response before sipping his coffee. Heavy footsteps approached Ginni and her father.
A woman with short black hair and a dress to match smiled at Ginni before planting a kiss on her father. Ginni cleared her throat to ensure her presence was known to her father's...love? The woman stood straight, smoothed out her dress with her hands.

"Hello, Lynell Perry."
She smiled extending her polished hand towards the youngest Dutton.

Ginni reluctantly grabbed with a curt shake.
"Genevieve Dutton."
She smiled.

"It's nice to finally meet you,"
The Governor then turned to John,
"I gotta go, I'll call you later."
She leaned down and gave John another kiss before heading out the door.

Ginni cocked an eyebrow while looking at her father.
"Don't look at me like that, I don't want to hear it."
John Dutton grumbled as he sank further into the sofa seat.

Ginni smirked,
"I'm not the one you have to worry about."
With that, she followed the Governor out, she wasn't far behind the political woman, and she could feel the venomous energy that was being projected towards Ms. Perry by Ginni's older, tempestuous sister. She warned her father Beth was in a vapid mood. Ginni couldn't blame either of them for their coping mechanisms. Today was a tough day for all of us except for Jamie, maybe. It didn't help everyone, particularly Beth, blaming herself for killing Evelyn Dutton. Even though Ginni was very young when it happened but based off the stories Kayce and her sister have told her throughout the years; Ginni felt it was nobody was at fault. Accidents happen.

Ginni continued to watch the chaos unfold as Rip walked out of the pasture from repair a sprinkler head, to coaxing her sister out of the water and to cover up. Gin admired Rip's innovation, but she knew it was going to piss Beth off even more. She kept her distance but want to continue watch the contretemps unfold. To her least surprise, Beth stormed off dripping wet and as naked as the day she was born. Thankfully she left one of the bottles, that way Ginni had the ability to wipe the memory from her brain.

"That looked fun."
Ginni laughed at the new foreman, as he continued to cast his gaze where the fierce Beth Dutton had exited the stage.

"The very least."
Rip shook his head, as he pulled the trough heater out of the water and turn it off.
"I've never seen in her such a sour ass mood."

"She has every reason to be. I'll discuss it later."
With that being said, Ginni dipped low enough to wrap her fingers around the slender neck of the glass bottle. She gave Rip a shit eating grin before heading towards the bar.

"Where you going?"
He asked.

"For a ride, don’t wait up."
Ginni waved him off before he could say anything else. He already had to babysit one of the Dutton girls, he did not have time to babysit the other. He knew Gin was tougher than any of the wranglers on the ranch, but he wasn't going to change getting his skin hide because something had happened to the baby Dutton.

"Ryan!"
Rip called out to the former low-man and cattle authority. The cowboy dropped what he was doing and made his way over to the head wrangler.
"I want you to follow her, make sure nothing happens to her."
Rip pointed in Ginni's direction who was out of the earshot and currently entering the barn to retrieve a horse.
"While you wait, finish that sprinkler head."
Rip barked, before heading off to continue helping Jimmy the new low man. he knew Gin had a good fifteen minutes before emerging from the stables.

Taking a deep breath, Ginni reveled in the silence. No bickering, no yelling, nothing but the sounds of the horses that were kept in the stalls. She made her way to Juniper, a dark brown Quarter horse her father kept around. Vegas is more of a pasture and show horse. The feathering on his feet will become matted and harbor debris that can cause sores and infections. But juniper is a strong and efficient enough to be able tackle any terrain that lies ahead of her. Ginni took the time to saddle the mare, brush her out and check her shoes for any debris or rocks that may have gotten lodge into her them. It took her a good fifteen minutes to be sure she was good to ride. Slowly she walked the animal out of the building, before closing and latching the door shut. placing her foot into the stirrups, she jumped up pulling herself into a straddling position on the black Circle Y saddle. Ginni grasped the reigns and nudged Juniper to break out into a full run, she darted across Pasture two, enjoying the breeze passing across her face.
Rip's ears perked at the sound of hooves crashing against the earth. He turned his head to see Gin disappearing across pasture two.

"God damn it, Ryan! You're supposed to follow her."
Rip was severely annoyed at that point.
"Go! Now!"
Within seconds, Ryan was on the back of the horse he had tied off nearby their work station. he didn't have much time, Gin was already on the opposite side of the pasture, By the time he reached the end, he already lost her in the brush.

"Shit."
Ryan slowed his pace and followed the hoof prints that gin had left in the damp soil. He followed the tracks for a good hour before he could faintly hear the breaking of sticks echo through the silence. Wild Finches chirped above him, and water rushed nearby, but no other sound tainted the wilderness. Which made it easier for Ryan to track the girl. He wasn't expecting her to ride far or stray this far away from the river. The trail was getting steep, and Gin was getting farther away.
"This is ridiculous."
Ryan huffed as his blue eyes scanned the dense forestry that blanketed the Montana mountain side.
"I should not have to be the one to babysit a girl. Especially one who rides better than me."
He continued to bitch to himself. The tracks stopped, but there was no sign of the Dutton girl.
"God damn it."

Ryan was getting frustrated; Rip would have his head if he found out Ryan lost the girl. Not that he doubted her capability she seemed to be efficient rider, but she was also the Farmer's daughter. So, it would be in his best interest to find her.
Not far away, he heard her horse snort, then the faint sounds of grass being ripped from the dirt. This indicated she had stopped. The terrain was not as inclined in the area the noises were coming from. The sound of trickling water grew louder, and it drowned out any additional disturbances. In his peripheral vision he saw a brown blotch shift. Startled, Ryan turned his head to see that it was the mare's hind quarters staring right at him through a line of pine trees. The woman was not mounted on top of the beast. In fact, the horse was tied off to a near Spruce tree. Ryan jumped off his equestrian and tied him off to another tree. Next to the filly, a pair of socks, boots, and jeans sat on a log, neatly folded.

"Oh hell, not again."
Ryan said under his breath.
"I am definitely a dead man."
He shook his head before taking off his hat and wiping the perspiration from his forehead.

"So... why do you think you're a dead man?"
A voice stated abruptly, passed the horses and into the creek. In a pool of water sat Ginni holding the bottle that her sister left and a dirty cowboy hat on her head. It was covering her eyes, blocking the sun from scalding her retinas.
"Is it because you couldn't keep up?"
She smirked under the felt.

"Didn't your momma teach you not to swim and drink?"
Ryan laughed. Judging by the look Ginni had when she pulled the felt from her face, she did not find it funny.

"No. She didn't. She died twenty-one years ago."
Ginni sank farther into the warm pool, allowing the water to reach her chin. She tipped the champagne to her lips and swallowed two large mouth full of the liquid.

"I'm sorry that was insensitive of me."
Ryan felt bad. It slipped his mind that there was no matriarch of the Dutton ranch.

Ginni shrugged.
"It's ok. I didn't really get to know her. I was five when she died. Today is the anniversary."
Genevieve wasn't too pleased one of her father's lackies followed her up the mountain. As far as she knew, she and her father were the only people who knew where the springs were, to be passed down for the next generation.

"Who sent you to follow me?"
She wasn't mad at Ryan for trailing her, but she did have an idea who.

"Rip."
The cowboy smirked. He crossed his arm across his chest while leaning on one of the pines that circled the hot pots.

"Figures."
Ginni rolled her eyes. She wasn't surprised the most protective of the wranglers and her adoptive brother, had sent someone after her. With as unhinged as her sister was this morning, she had no doubt he was insuring Ginni was in a more gathered mindset. The pots were getting too warm. The sun had been beating down on her for a while, and she was beginning to feel claustrophobic and overheated. With a heavy sigh, she heaved her form onto a rock that perched perfectly at the edge of the hot spring.

"Oh jeez."
Ryan was a little stunned and not expecting Ginni to be fully nude in the water. He chose not to intentionally gander into the water to find out.

"What? You act like you've never seen a naked woman before."
Gin laughed, while sipping on the champagne.

"No..."
His gaze was to the ground.
"Well, yes I have, just not one as pretty. Or covered in tattoos."
He cleared his throat. Ryan proceeded to count the decaying leaves on the ground.

"You think I'm pretty?"
Ginni cocked her perfect brow, placed the tip of her tongue to her canine tooth and smirked wickedly.

"What?! No!"
Ryan tried to back pedal his statement, attempting to get out of the rabbit hole he fell down.
"I did not say that."
A smile was beginning to paint across his face, of course he was still looking at the ground and doing his best to respect Gin's privacy.

"Oh... a little shy then?"
She was having too much fun making Ryan flustered. She could tell he had the other things on his mind. Not that it would be any problem to her, but she is in fact the boss' daughter. Ryan had unexpecting saw not but one, but both of the Dutton sisters unclothed. He did not want to have his head on a spike or get dragged behind Rip's horse. Although the urge to toss his jeans and boots, then hop into the pots with her.

"How come I've never known about this place?"
Ryan decided to look around, still avoiding his gaze to land on Gin's naked form.

"It's a secret between daddy and I. But I guess you know and are now obligated to keep a secret."
She laughed, kicking the water, causing ripples to fight against the current.
"You know, if you're so concerned about seeing my titties, you're more than welcome to leave."
The Dutton leaned back, resting on her palms behind her. Casting the sun across her pale skin. Right now, would be a perfect moment for Ginni to smoke a joint. However, she didn't bring her supply with her. Plus, she wasn't sure about how the wrangler would react. Ginni didn't want anyone to run to her father. Even though she had her medicinal card. Now was not the time for to explain it is just medicine she uses to alleviate her symptoms. Granted the state of Montana is medically legal. Her father still had rather strong views on the plant. Although, when she left her school, it was just barely legalized for card holders.
Maybe, just maybe John Dutton had changed his mind.

Ryan's face was flushed bright red, Ginni could see the pink shades filter across his face, beneath the brim of his hat.
"Rip probably wouldn't be too happy if I left you up here."
He shuffled his foot, kicking a rock down a small embankment. He was stuck in between a rock and a hard place. She was tantalizing his very being. Striking the chord between being a respectable man and unleashing the wild beast inside.

"You're probably right. So, what's your game plan cowboy?"
A cool breeze picked up, causing a shiver to run down Gin's spine. She pushed herself back into the pool of steaming mineral water.

"I'll wait here, as long as you wish."
He knodded cordially. This time Ryan decided to sit on a nearby boulder.

"Suit yourself."
Ginni laughed. Sinking further into the water. The hot water felt amazing against her sore muscle. She hasn't put certain muscles to work since she left for Salt Lake.

"Why did you leave the ranch?"
Ryan asked. Ginni forgot only a few of the wranglers know about her and her father's fallout. Hell, they didn't even know there was a fifth Dutton.

"I went to college and my dad chose not to support my beliefs and studies."
Ginni shrugged. To her it was old news, she felt that it was who is and her father may think there is no profit or use for the ranch but he also didn't think she would have to take various agriculture classes, along with the medicinal studies. Six years of schooling she paid for fully, without her father's contribution.

"Hopefully, he's grown and changed his mind."
Ginni polished off the last of the champagne.
"Let's get out of here. The sun will start setting soon."
Ginni stood up allowing the water to drip off her. Ryan couldn't help but steal a glance when the water sloshed around. This sealed the deal that he was in fact a dead man. He could feel his heart fluttering rapidly, attempting to leave his chest and jumping into hers. She had full sleeves inked into her skin. The one tattoo that caught his eye was a bright red "Y" similar to the cattle prod they used to brand men and cattle. tattooed on her right upper butt cheek. On the left cheek, 'Your Name' inscribed in perfect calligraphy.

"Your name,' huh?"
Ryan knew there was a story with this one it was very random.

"My sister and I got really drunk one night and we both thought it would be a great idea to have it tattooed on my ass, because I can walk up to anyone and bet them that I have their name on my ass. Since then, it has been an ongoing joke between us."
Ginni laughed, while pulling her T-shirt over her head, then walking over to the rest of her clothes she left on the log.

"You ever make money from it?"
Ryan was curious about her betting theory.

"Nearly every time."
The farmer’s daughter bent over to pull her jeans on, though her back end was facing Ryan. She craned her neck to give him a cheeky grin before she proceeded to dress herself. Was it wrong for her to seduce one of the wranglers? It was obvious Ryan was infatuated with the goth beauty. So, she felt she might was well dangle the baited hook in front of him and see if he'll bite.
Her father asked her to move back to the ranch a few days ago and she has been contemplating her decision since. She didn't understand why, but it must have been urgent. Or her father needed all of his kids close by. It wouldn't hurt to at least have some fun while she was here. As soon as she pulled on her boot, Ryan had already picked up the trash bag she had and the empty bottle, ready to be put in her saddle bags.
They both checked their tack to make sure the saddles were secure and with that they were off.

By the time they reached the bar, the sun had settled behind the mountains casting a inky black shadow over the ranch. A series of yelling came from the illuminated bar.
"He only calls me when you lose!"
It was her sister Beth, but who else was in there? Ginny told Ryan to tie off the horses to the post near the side of the barn, she will put them away, groom and feed them.
He can go grab supper from the bunkhouse.

"What did I ever lose? This is the largest ranch in Montana, it's two-hundred thousand acres larger than it was when I become chief council."
It was Jamie.

Ginni decided to lurk in the shadows to see how far this will escalate. She also didn't want to get in the middle of it.

"Argue with him Jamie. Cause I don't give a shit about this place. If dad dies tomorrow, I would sell my share to the four seasons and I would swim laps in the pool they built, without an ounce of remorse."
Beth had venom in her voice. Is that really how she felt about this ranch? Ginni mulled over her words before she heard Jamie's retort.

"You are so toxic. I can barely remember what you were like before you killed her."
Ouch.
That even stung Ginni and it wasn't even directed to her. She knew it was an accident, it was cold and extremely callous of Jamie to even say that.
Moments later it sounded like a body hitting the floor, Ginni peaked around the corner to see Jamie on the floor of the barn and Beth's fists clenched.

"How's that taste you pussy!?"
She hit him again. Jamie stood up straight.
"huh!?"
And again.

"Alright stop! Alright, drive you polluted soul back to the city where it belongs."
Jamie spat, which angered Beth even more. The two siblings used to wail on each other when they were kids but not like this. Gin continued to observe the scuffle, making sure if she needed to step in, she could.

"Come on! Just like old times!"
Beth slapped him once again.
"I wanna see you be a man, Jamie!"
She was becoming more violent towards her brother. To the point he was begging her to stop. His forearms were up blocking the blows.
"Be a man!"

"Stop!"
She cocked back her right fist and slugged him in the temple again. With that Jamie coiled back and knocked Beth upside the head.

'Finally, he stood up to her.'
Ginni thought, rolling her eyes before making her entrance. She walked over to the horses and grabbed ahold of their reigns. Entering the barn, Jamie's eyes met Gin's as Beth stayed on the floor laughing.

"A man would have walked away."
When she stood up. that is when she ran face to face with her younger sister.

"Quite the Pugilist, are we?"
Gin smirked.
"I though one of Daddy's rules was no fighting."

This comment didn't settle well with Beth. Through her teeth she hissed,
"Say anything and I'll tell daddy what you did to pay for school. I'm sure he'll love that."
On that note, Beth sauntered out of the barn, still manically laughing.

"You know what tipped her over the edge, right? That was not necessary to say, Jamie."
Ginni stated as she led juniper into her stall and Jackson into another.

"You know nothing, Genevieve. She's a menace."
He spat the blood that pooled into his cheek.

"I understand that Jamie, but purposefully pissing Beth off is what got you knocked upside the head."
Ginni was always the Devil's advocate, the voice of reason.
"Regardless dad will find out."

"What did she mean by 'What you did to pay for your tuition."
Jamie tried to divert the topic of the conversation to Beth's remark about her.

"Dad refused to pay for my schooling, I got a job. Simple."
She half assed her response, all while putting away her saddle then moving onto Ryan's.

"Well, it sure sounded like something he wouldn't approve of."
He retorted, wiping the blood from his lip with his sleeve.

"Dad never approved of anything I do anyways. If I need legal advice, I'll come to you. But for now, drop it."
She had no desire to explain the sex work she had to do, to her brother. Stripping and sensual massages weren't technically illegal, but it was still heavily frowned upon in conservative families and states.