& it's all because you're by my side.

That Thing I Need To Tell You About...

“So, that thing I need to tell you about…” I told Joe as a commercial began across the television screen.

He looked over at me, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

“Well,” I began, nerves growing in the pit of my stomach. I wasn’t worried about him begin mad or angry, I just didn’t want to disappoint him.

“I’m going to have to miss the first few weeks of the tour,” I said quickly.

His face scrunched up in confusion. “Why?”

“Well…since I’m going to be missing the first few weeks of school because of the tour, my teachers and counselor are allowing me to come in early to do all my work.”

“Oh,” Joe told me, a look of thought across his face. “And that’ll take two weeks?”

“Maybe. The good news is that it may only take one week, and I’d be able to come sooner. But it’s possible that it’ll take up to the two weeks.”

He nodded his head, still deep in thought. I couldn’t tell what he was feeling and it was making me more nervous. I didn’t know if he was mad, or upset, or totally fine with it.

“There’s more good news,” I began hopefully. “The tour comes to the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View on the 15th and that’s pretty close to here. So if the work does take two weeks, I’d at least get to see you during those two weeks.”

We sat in silence for a few moments.

“I’m so sorry, Joe.” I finally told him, my voice sad and guilty.

“What?” He looked at me, taken back.

“I know how excited you were to have me come on the tour and I feel terrible about having to come late. I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad.”

“Katy, don’t be sorry. It’s fine. Stuff like this happens; it's part of being in a touring band. I’m gonna miss you like crazy, but I’m not mad in any way. I love you.” He offered me a smile, helping my insides relax a little.

I let out a breath of relief as he wrapped an arm around me to pull me into him. “I love you, too.” I smiled, loving how I could finally say it out loud.

“Education’s important.” He told me as he held me tight. “I couldn't be upset about that.”

“Thank you.” I whispered.

“So when do you actually start your school stuff?” He asked.

“Monday.”

“Wait, so you don’t actually start until next week?” He asked excitedly.

“No, why?” I looked at him in confusion.

“Can you come to opening night on Friday?” His eyes were lit up in hope.

“Yeah, I’d love to.” I grinned.

--

“I’m at the airport as we speak.” I smiled into my phone as Joe went on and on about how awesome the concert was going to be.

“Look, I’ll call you back once I’ve checked in my luggage, alright?” I told him quickly, receiving a sigh on his end. I giggled. “Love you, bye.”

I smiled as I approached the ticket counter, happy to be able to say ‘I love you’ at the end of our phone conversations.

“Welcome to American Airlines, how may I help you?” The lady behind the counter chirped.

“I’m checking in for the nine o’clock flight to Canada.” I replied excitedly.

“Oh,” she frowned. “I’m sorry to say that that flight has been cancelled due to bad weather.”

I stared at her. “What?”

“There’s a terrible storm occurring en route to Canada.” She told me, offering me a smile.

“Well, is there another flight available?” I asked, feeling my stomach sink.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but all flights to Canada have been cancelled due to the storm. The storm should pass by tomorrow afternoon. I can book you on one of those flights if you would like.”

I stared at her, frustration building. “No, I don’t want you to book me a flight for tomorrow. I need a flight for today.”

She gave a small shrug of her shoulders. “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing I can do for you.”

“You don’t understand,” I began in a panicked tone. “I have to be there by tonight. I can’t miss it.”

“I’m sorry, there’s nothing more I can do.” She told me calmly. “I would appreciate if you could step aside so I could help the next person in line.”

What a bitch.

I swallowed hard before grabbing my bag to step aside.

I leaned against the counter, burying my head in my hands.

What was I going to do?

I couldn’t exactly hop on a bus to Canada.

I pulled out my phone and began clicking through my phone book until I found Joe’s number.

My finger hovered hesitantly over the keys. How was I supposed to tell him that I wouldn’t be able to make it?

I pressed the small ‘send’ button before bringing the phone up to my ear.

“Hello beautiful,” he began happily. “How did checking in your baggage go?”

“Um,” I replied dimly. “Not well.”

“Katy, what’s wrong?” He asked quickly, his voice filled with concern.

“My flight got cancelled.” I told him quietly, my voice about to break.

“What? What do you mean it got cancelled?”

“I guess there’s storm.” I told him as I sniffled back a tear.

“Oh, don’t cry Katy! Everything will be okay. We’ll figure something out.” He replied, his voice calm and hopeful.

“She said that no flights will be available until tomorrow afternoon.” I told him as I wiped away a tear.

“Oh,” his voice dropped. “That’s okay. I’m going to see you at Shoreline Amphitheater. It’ll give us time to perfect the concert for you.”

I chuckled. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now cheer up.” He was so optimistic. “We’ll be fine, it’s not the end of the world.”

I smiled. “Ok, ok. I am sorry, though.”

“Me too.”

--

“I feel terrible.” I told Rita late that night. “He was so excited about the concert and then I just didn’t show up.”

“C’mon Katy, stop beating yourself up about it. He understands that it’s not your fault. It’s not like you asked for a storm to happen.” She replied encouragingly.

“I know, but I just feel so bummed out.” I replied dimly. “How was the show?”

“Really good,” she replied excitedly. “The boys were of course amazing! Everything about the show was amazing! And the stage was awesome.”

I smiled at her excitement. “I can’t wait to see it.”

“Oh and you will never guess what happened!” She squealed.

I sat up quickly in anticipation. “What?”

“Nick and Joe cried!”

“What? Why?”

“During A Little Bit Longer Nick was giving this really emotional speech and they both got teared up. It was so adorable.” She told me.

“Aw, I’m sad I missed it.”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it, I bet it’ll be on youtube by tomorrow.” She replied.

“Good point.” I chuckled at the truth of the statement. “So they really cried?”

“Yep.” I could imagine her nodding her head fervently. “But don’t say anything to Joe about it. I think he might be a little embarrassed.”

"Ah, there's no fun in that. I promise I won't say anything, though." I smiled. "Even though I think it's totally adorable.”

"I know, right? I tried telling Nick that it was cute, but he just blushed and shook his head." She replied with a roll of her eyes. "Boys."

I laughed. Rita helped me feel a little better about missing the concert.

--

“So, according to Us Weekly, we broke up.” I told Joe through my phone as I flipped a page in my magazine.

“Did we now?” I could hear amusement in his voice.

“Yep,” I replied nonchalantly. “Apparently you broke up with me.”

Joe chuckled.

“You really should tell me the next time you break up with me.” I told him jokingly.

He let out a laugh. “I’ll be sure to remember that.”

“Do you think Disney had anything to do with this?” I asked curiously. “Is this their big break up story?”

“No, it shouldn’t be.” He replied. “My dad told them that we weren’t going private with the relationship and there was nothing they could do about it. I guess they were pretty chill with it. And since the fans didn’t go totally crazy about it, we’re fine.”

“That’s good.” I replied. “But really Joe, you can’t just break up with me and not tell me.”

He chuckled loudly. “I miss you.”

“Me too.” My face fell into a frown. “But only one more week.”

“Yet it feels like so much longer.” His voice was sad.

“Fo’realz.” I replied as I flipped a page in my magazine. “But at least you’re doing something cool. I get to sit in front of old people all day learning worthless information.”

He chuckled. “Fo’realz.”

“Psh, are you mocking me?”

“Psh, dunno what yo talkin’ ‘bout.” I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Y’know what’s funny to think about?” I asked thoughtfully, unintentionally changing the subject.

“What?”

“How we met.” I told him softly. “I was rereading all our old emails the other day. It’s just so funny how everything turned out.”

“I know; it was so bizarre.” He replied in amusement. “It was like something you would find in a movie.”

I chuckled. “Who woulda thought? I hated that stupid pen pal assignment, too. I didn’t even want to do it. And then I thought you hated me at the beginning because of my sexist comment.”

“Tambourines happen to be very masculine instruments, just so you know.” He added, laughter in his voice.

“Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever you say.” I smirked.

“And you know how we always said that we would date a fan?” He asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, I never thought that I actually would.” He admitted. “I had always thought I’d date other famous people or old friends from Jersey. I never thought that I would actually date a fan.”

I smiled. “I’m glad you did decide to a date a fan, though.”

“Me too.” He replied sweetly.

“Joe,” I began seriously, “this may sound kind of childish…but can we stay together forever?”

I subconsciously held my breath as I waited for his answer.

“I hope so,” he paused. “Because I never want to let you go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I need some help!
I've decided that I am ending '& it's all because you're by my side' in two chapters and then I am going to begin a triquel(or sequel of the sequel)!!! =)
And this is where I need your help. It was so spur of the moment that I haven't had the chance to come up with a title.
So I was thinking that maybe you guys could help me come up with one??
It can be pretty much anything that’s appropriate. I would prefer that it was a JB lyric, but it can really be anything.

If someone does send in a title and I really like it and use it, I’ll do something special for you. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I'll do something.

And I don't know if I have been spending too much time in my English class, but perhaps those last few lines were foreshadowing?? Maybe something good?? Maybe something bad?? Just something for you to think about...;D

And lastly, I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter so let me know what you think!!!

Thanks for reading!!! =)