Adventures in Babysitting

Chapter Six: I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

Chapter Six: I’m Not Okay (I Promise)

I walked into the living room to the sound of Gerard laughing silently. I glared at him. I was fucking tired. I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night. Stupid bags under my fucking eyes. “Had trouble sleeping last night?” Gee asked. He sounded slightly concerned, but like I said. I was dead tired.

“Shut up.” I told him. He whimpered jokingly. I sat at the dining unit and rubbed my eyes, trying to wake up. It didn’t fucking work. I looked around the bus. Ray was in the back practicing (as far as I knew. He wasn’t anywhere to be seen.), Bob was making a health drink or some crap like that, Mikey was drinking coffee with Gee, and Adele was sitting in one of the chairs listening to one of the CD’s on my old CD player.

I looked at Adele for a few more seconds. Her crying and nightmares were starting to worry me. I mean, she’s had the same nightmare what, two nights in a row now? I’m sure they were probably worse traveling here from wherever (Was Marc still living in Chicago? I’m not sure...).

Gee sat down across from me at the dinette. He handed me a cup of coffee and smiled at me. I smiled back. I took the cup and drank it. The caffeine helped. “Sorry about before,” I apologized. I looked at Gee. He smirked.

“It’s cool,” he replied, “I shouldn’t have teased you like that. I know how you are in the morning.”

“Yea,” I agreed. Kind of. “But that’s no reason why I should treat you like shit.”

“It’s totally fine,” Gee said. He smiled again. We both looked over at Adele. Her head was rocking forwards and backwards softly. Thank You For The Venom. Or I’m Not Okay. I’m not too sure.

Gee turned to face me again. “I know what you’re going through.”

I looked at him, confused. Wasn’t he going through this too? “Thanks, but I’m not the only one,” I replied, “We’re all going through this.”

“Yea, you’re right,” Gee said. He faced Adele. This whole bring right thing is starting to piss me off! Was this all a joke? Probably not. It’s not very funny.

“I guess being from Jersey didn’t help us out with this,” I joked. We both laughed. Then looked back at Adele.

“Do you think she’s okay?” I asked Gee. Would he know?

“It’s not up to me to decide,”he explained. What? “it’s up to Adele. Only she knows. She’ll tell us what’s wrong when she’s ready.”

I looked at him. “Have you been watching parenting shows or something? Dr. Phil helping out?”

We both laughed again. Gee shook his head smiling. He then walked to the back, I guess to talk to Ray. I turned to face Adele again. She was staring of into space. Hmm. I wonder what she’s thinking about. I doubt it’s ponies. She looked towards me. I smiled at her. She took off the headphones.

“Frankie,” she started softly, “Why are you looking at me?”

“I’m not sure,” I replied, smirking slightly. Smirking’s not my thing. My smirk's shitty and half-assed compared to Gee’s. But whatever. What I said was the truth.

“Um,” Adele looked at her green converse, “O-Okay.” She put the headphones back on her ears and hit play. She went back to daydreaming. I got up and walked over to her and hit the pause button, taking the headphones off of her ears.

“Adele,” I started, looking her in the eyes, “Can I ask you something?”

“Frankie,” Adele looked at me intently, “You just did. But okay.”

“Adele,” I took a deep breath. “Are you okay?”

She looked at me like I was on crack. Aw. Her first ‘Are you on fucking crack?’ look. I’m so proud! I looked back at her. She looked down and tried to hold back the tears. I smiled softly at her. She started to cry. I hugged her softly.

She pulled away and looked me in the eye. “I’m not okay,” she told me, “And I can promise that for a long time.”

She got up off of the chair and ran to the bunk area, still crying a little. I was about to chase after her when I noticed something. She’d left the CD player on the now empty chair, still playing. Since you could put two cds in at a time, the Black Parade was on. I Don’t Love You came on.

This means something...