It all started with Earl Gray

It all started with Earl Gray (ch 2)

“Refill, please,” I asked the bar keeper, setting my glass down. ‘This had better be the last one too,’ I thought to myself. If I wanted to try and talk to him tonight I didn’t need to be drunk. Lord knows I’d end up telling him to take me out back and fuck me over the crates.
Wait. Did I just really think that?
I glanced over at him again. He caught me. Shit. I hope he doesn’t know I’m staring at him like a horny teenager.
Did he just smile?
I turned and grabbed my full cup, taking a drink while watching the barkeeper as he walked out of the back room. He placed a few tea bags on the counter space before me, smiling.
“Look, Bam,” he said taking my glass and dumping it out. “Would you just go talk to him already? I’m sick of watching you lovesick puppies gawk at each other across the room.”
“W-What?” I yelped, wide eyed, mouth falling open.
I looked down at my hands and picked at the hem of my shirt as the barkeeper laughed and shook his head.
“For three months I have watched you two; I know what I see.” He murmured to me. Slowly he leaned over the counter and looked me dead in the eyes.
“Just take this tea to him and say hello.” He pushed the tea bags closer to me and smiled again. “Just go.” He nodded his head towards the back of the bar before going back to cleaning the counter.
I gazed at the tea bags; Earl Gray. I heard it was really good tea. I picked them up and sighed. He read really good books, drank really good tea and looked wonderful… What would he want with a nobody like me?
I had the feeling this was going to be one of the hardest things I had ever done.
Holding the tea bags tight, I turned and slowly made my way towards the back of the bar. I was getting closer; so close I could smell his cigarettes and the faint small of sweetness that surrounded him. My heart raced in my chest and I walked…. Right past him and into the bathroom.
I shut the door and leaned against it. What was I doing? This was crazy. I’m a grown man. I shouldn’t be all fluttery and nervous. Wiping my sweaty palms off on my jeans, I looked in the mirror. I was so plain; dark hair and blue eyes. Like every other guy I had seen, my cheeks were chubby; making me look much younger than I was. I had grown the same goatee for years now, trying to make myself look older though I still managed to look childish. No wonder no one took me seriously…And I’m sure he wouldn’t either.
I sighed and looked down. This was so stupid.

*Ville’s POV*

I lit my cigarette and turned the page in my book. I remembered to do it this time. I poured more water into my cup, noticing how weak it had become. I looked towards the bar and raised my hand a bit; the keeper nodded and smiled. More tea was on the way.
I smiled when I heard his voice. All he did was ask for a refill, but it still made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I would love to hear him say anything. Anything as long as my name was one of the words from his lips; I bet my name would sound nice rolling off his tongue.
I watched as the barkeeper filled his glass and set it in front of him before walking into the back room.
He looked back at me again. His eyes locked onto mine for a second and I couldn’t help but smile; feeling my cheeks turn pink. It was short lived as the bar keeper walked out of the back room, taking his attention away from me. He turned back to his cup and took a large drink as the bar keeper walked up to him and started to speak. I listened hard; trying to make out what was being said.
Bam? Did he just call him Bam?
Bam…
I rolled the name around on my tongue, letting it sink in; getting familiar with it.
Ville and Bam. Yeah, I liked the sound of that.
“What!” I heard Bam yelp. It made me jump a bit and I looked to see the bar keeper shake his head and laugh; slowly leaning in towards Bam.
Oh, please don’t kiss him! My chest got tight as he got closer. My eyes went to his hand as it slid closer to Bam’s…
Oh God, they’re going to kiss!
The bar keeper stopped but a few inches away and whispered to him. Oh how I wish I could read lips. He smiled and nodded before going back to cleaning..
I looked to Bam again; trying to read his face. He looked shocked and confused and kept gazing at what was left on the counter in front of him. Slowly he reached out and took it, looking it over as he chewed on his bottom lip. God he was adorable.
Where was my tea?
I took the last sip from my cup and saw Bam moving towards me. His head was down and I swooned watching the curls bounce around his head with each step. My eyes went wide noticing he was coming closer. My mind went blank, I just stared.
Look away, damn it!
Just as he reached my table he moved to the side and darted into the bathroom. I should have known someone like him would never want to talk to me.
I should just go home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Love