Close to the Heart

The Final Jam

I drove as fast as I could without killing myself back to camp. It was mainly a woodsy drive with barely any drivers so I knew I could easily avoid a ticket. Soon enough, I was near the camp but drove past it for another five miles. I knew exactly where I was heading even though I really hadn't been to this place since I was small.

I finally reached my destination and got out of the jeep. I slammed the door loudly and walked up to the small, abandoned cabin. I knew it was still abandoned because nobody had bothered cleaning it up or fixing any of the broken windows. It was our cabin. It wasn’t exactly what Shane is used to but I knew there’s a teeny, tiny part in him that isn’t so superficial.

And by “ours” of course I meant mine and Shane’s. We found this place a long time ago and dubbed it ours for life. It would always be ours and if he was anywhere, he had to be in there.

“Shane?” I called out. I walked up to the door and turned the knob. I knew it couldn’t be locked from the inside because it never did. “Hello?” I walked in and noticed it was extremely dark inside. I ran outside quickly and dug around for a flashlight. I found one in the glove box and went back inside the cabin.

Walking inside I noticed Shane’s suitcases and was happy to see I was finally right about him. I do know him better than he thinks I do. I called out for him again but still no answer. It was a small cabin so from the front door alone I could see the entire room. He wasn’t in there at all.

I bit down on my lip and left the cabin. Where was he? He couldn’t have gone that far. His stuff was here. I decided to go sit in the jeep and wait a little while. He had to show up eventually. And as much as I didn’t want to see him, there was a bigger part of me that felt like I had to see him. Even for a minute and even if it was just a goodbye.

I sat in the car drumming my thumbs on the steering wheel. I was becoming impatient and bored. I wondered if I should leave and give up or stick it out a little while longer. I decided to close my eyes a little bit and hope there wasn’t any creepy killers out in the middle of nowhere right now.

Obviously that was a bad decision because I fell asleep through the night and woke up to the sound of birds twittering around.

“Crap!” I felt a sharp pain in my back and neck when I moved. I couldn’t believe I fell asleep in the jeep. I was surprised I didn’t freeze to death last night. I opened the door and stretched my back and cracked it. It felt better. And now that it was light out, I figured Shane had to be inside and it would be easier to see him.

I walked back to the cabin and opened the door. Nothing. He still wasn’t inside and his bags appeared to look the same. Where could he possibly be? Everything he brought with him to Camp Rock seemed to be here. Even his blow dryer which he never left behind.

I huffed loudly. This was so typical of him. He’s probably back at Camp Rock after realizing how dumb he was to leave in the first place. He can’t just bail on my dad. He owes my dad everything. He couldn’t possibly be that selfish. I groaned out loud and stomped back to the jeep.

I had to at least get to Camp Rock. I told my dad I was coming last night and he might worry. Quickly, I started the jeep and pulled away from the small cabin. I sped back to the road I drove in on and turned down the road that would lead down to the camp. I parked my dad’s jeep where I found it and sauntered back into the cabin.

“Dad!”

I heard a noise on the other side and my stomach flipped. What if it was Shane?

“Thank Lord!” It was my dad. He walked over and squeezed me tightly against him. “I was worried! You didn’t answer the phone at home and I know there’s not much cell service around here, so naturally I thought the worst.”

“Dad, you’re rambling,” I muttered. “Sorry to worry you. I was looking for Shane and fell asleep in the jeep.” I looked up at him. His face still had genuine concern. “I’m sorry, okay?”

He finally smiled. “It’s alright darling. I’m just so glad you’re here. Still no sign of Shane then?” I shook my head and my dad ‘hmph’d’. “It’s alright. We can manage without him. Just please tell me you’re up to judging. You’re my last hope.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I guess so. I mean I really don’t want to because it’s not my job…AND you’re not even paying me for it.” My dad smiled and grabbed me for another hug.

“Pay you? Silly girl.” He released me from his grip and held me by my shoulders. “You might want to get ready soon. It’ll be here sooner than you know!” He kissed the top of my head and walked back towards his side of the room.

I went outside to grab my bag. I looked around, expecting Shane to still show up but I wasn’t going to get my hopes up. He is the worst. I walked back into the room and into the bathroom. I changed into one of my nicer knee-length dresses and fixed my hair. If I was doing this over my will, I wanted to at least look reasonable cute.

-

After waiting around a little bit and being found by Barron and Sander, I was sitting backstage with the two of them. They were both upbeat and extremely excited about tonight. I was glad that they weren’t nervous at all. They were very confident that if they weren’t going to win, it was going to be a tough decision, mainly because I was the judge. Their train of thought made me smile.

Eventually, the Final Jam was about to begin. My dad went out and did his introduction and introduced Jason and Nate. They both came out. He apologized for Shane and used the excuse that he was feeling under the weather, but he was happy to announce that I was going to be the third judge. I went out to the stage and down the stairs to sit at the judges’ booth with Nate and Jason.

I still couldn’t believe that Shane never even showed up! I tried to push it out of my head as I watched all the performances but it was really irritating. There was a slim chance he was hurt and possibly dying in the middle of the highway. I instantly pushed that out of my head. He wasn’t that cruel to deserve that.

We were currently on the eighth performance when I still felt a little muscle ache in my back. I turned in my chair to crack my back when I noticed a familiar face being hidden by a baseball cap.

“Shane?” I questioned. I saw him looking in my direction and he put his finger to his lip to quiet me. “Why aren’t you up here?” I felt like I was shouting but couldn’t hear my own voice over the music. I saw him mouth “later” and I turned in my chair.

Eventually, we got through all the performances but I barely paid any attention to the last two. I wanted to leave and talk to Shane. I wasn’t sure if I was upset or relieved to see him. Nate and Jason were both discussing who they thought was the best and I was just ‘uh-huh-ing’ them both, eager to get this over with. They asked me who I thought was the best and told them Barry and Sanders. They both rolled their eyes, already expecting that answer.

“You asked my opinion,” I said. “What’s wrong with their performance? I thought it was epic.”

“It was,” Nate agreed, “However…”

“Yes?”

Nate glared at me since I cut him off. “I was going to say they were great but the vocals on Peggy were amazing.”

“She was a little pitchy to me,” I replied. “But if you think she’s the best, sure, fine. I’ll agree.”

“I think Barry and Sanders should win,” Jason replied. “Those flips were amazing.” I nodded my head quickly. There was no way Nate was going to not argue against the two of us now. “And the rap was great too since this is more of a vocal competition.”

“Fine,” Nate finally replied. “You get your way.” He walked up to my dad and whispered to him. Knowing Nate better than anyone, I knew he told my dad his first and only choice. He was right, Peggy was the best choice. It was either her or no one.

I stood up to walk towards where Shane was still standing, all mysteriously by the wall closest to the door.

“Where were you?” I questioned him. I heard my dad announce the winner and Peggy’s name was being called. I pushed Shane out the door, away from the noise. “And take off that ridiculous hat. You do know you’re ruining your hair with that.”

“Where was I?” he questioned. “Where did you go? I went to our cabin and you weren’t there.”

“I went to the cabin too,” I said, “Your bags were all over the place but no you.”

He looked like he was afraid to show any emotion in front of me but I saw a small smile form. “I waited a few hours for you to show up. I was so upset that I packed my stuff and went there. I didn’t think your dad would actually get you to judge. But then you weren’t home so I figured you might have come back to camp. And so I drove all night to come back to the cabin and I thought I saw you leaving so I followed you back here.”

“You’re rambling,” I said. “You went to my house? I was there until about 7. I felt bad about leaving and the way our last conversation ended. I really hate you sometimes but then I think about how hate is such a strong word. You’re just like me though; stubborn, impossible to be around. That’s why we clash so much.”

“I agree.”

“I’m sorry,” we both said at the same time.

“Why are you sorry?” he questioned. “I was being impossible. I shouldn’t have asked you to move in with me. I wasn’t thinking about what you do. I know how much you want to go to school and I don’t want to keep you from that. Life on the road isn’t all that great. I know you’d get tired of it quickly. I just don’t want to lose you as a friend… or more than that if you’d ever want to be more than friends with me.”

“You mean, like, best friends?” I questioned. “Like before?”

“Or more,” he mumbled. I saw his cheeks turn red and it made my stomach flip again.

I walked closer to him and threw my arms around him, hugging him tightly against me.

“More than friends sounds fine to me,” I said as I stood on my tip-toes to whisper into his ear. I felt Shane’s arms hold me tightly and we stood there until the crowd inside started making their way out.

“Get him girl,” Barron howled as he walked by. I wanted to flick him in his forehead but I kept my grip on Shane instead.

“Well look who finally made up,” my dad said. “Nice of you to show up Shane.”

“Sorry, Uncle Brown,” he muttered as he slowly let go of me.

“Please don’t call him that anymore,” I said to him. “It makes it sound like we’re related.”

“Yes,” my dad agreed, “If you two finally got your heads out where the sun don’t shine you can call me by my proper name. And all is forgiven Shane. No need to worry.”

Everyone slowly walked away from Shane and I and we were left alone again. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked down towards the lake.

“So, did I ruin your summer?” he asked.

“Nope,” I said quickly. “Not at all.”

“Best summer ever?” he asked.

“Not really,” I said, “Because next summer when we go to Hawaii or wherever will be even more better.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I really suck at never updating this but I felt I needed to do it. So if anyone still reads this, here you go. Sorry it probably sucked but it really needed to end lol