Maneuvers

Family Dinner

"Joel, am I fucked up?" I asked as I watched my best friend try to find something decent to wear for tonight's Family dinner at the Burn's.

He glanced over at me and eyed me, "How so?" He asked.

"I dont know, since the middle of summer I've felt like my life is falling apart around my shoulders, then I moved to LA and things got better, things got amazing, now I'm back home and shit is going to hell. London is pregnant and trying to get back into contact, wanting me to be her daughter's Godmother, then my parents are divorcing ... Kyle just seems moody."

He smiled, "Kyle is moody because he's a sex deprived boyfriend who's girlfriend is in an emotional rollercoaster that he doesnt know how to stop."

'How do you know?' I spat meanly.

"Because, I talked to him up at your Uncle's house when you and your Father talked about everything privately. Kyle was buzzed, we were getting to know each other and the bottom line is Kyle's worried about you, and he just wants sex," Joel laughed.

I made a face, "Is it wrong of me to say that I miss LA?" I questioned.

Joel shook his head as he held up a light blue button down shirt with a tie to himself, "No it isnt wrong," He said, "What do you think of this?"

"It's a family dinner, not a fucking formal ball, lose the tie." I insisted.

He tossed his tie back into his bag, "Want my opinion?" He muttered.

"Yeah."

"I think you miss LA because you didnt have to deal with this stuff over there. And I think that London is the main cause of your stress. Not the divorce, I think that the divorce hurts you, but you have Kyle, who has been through a divorce, he's there for you. But you're confused about London."

I frowned, "I hate her, there's nothing confusing about it."

"I dont think you hate her, I think you hate what she did." He held up a white button up shirt and grabbed his black tie.

"No, I hate her." I insisted, "I'm bitter and I dont trust her at all anymore."

He tossed his clothes back onto his bed and inhaled deeply as he frowned, "Chloe, if you dont want to deal with her, dont be her child's godmother, tell that Jonathan guy to inform London that you're not interested. Be polite about it. After that, take Kyle into a room with a lock and just let the guy have his way with you until he's got it out of his system. The divorce ... let your parents handle their business. They're obviously staying civil about everything, they may not love each other anymore but they do still care. Stop making such a big deal out of nothing."

I played with the necklace that Kyle gave me back when I moved to LA then nodded, "Joel, do you think mine and Kyle's relationship is about sex?"

"No," He answered, "I dont, but I understand that you two have been apart and that night you two had together when we first got here obviously didnt cure him of his desire for you." He smiled, "Kyle loves you, I can see it in his eyes when he talks about you or when he see's you walk towards him, he truly loves you."

"Do you love me?"

"I love you," He confirmed, "And Quinn loves you, as does Stacie and Heather."

I nodded, but said nothing.

"Tomorrow, let me borrow your car and I'll go check out apartments. Spend the day with Kyle, turn off your phone, lock the bedroom door and be together, dont talk about anything but your guys relationship, get caught up with each others lives and then maybe Kyle will stop being so moody. Dont worry about me, I'll be fine. Dont worry about your Father he went on a hunting trip with your Uncle for Christmas dinner that I wont be eating if we go over there. Dont worry about your Mother, she's busy packing up the house and moving. The rest of your family will get by until you are emotionally stable."

"I am stable."

He just gave me a look like I was out of my mind then shook his head.

"Just wear a plain shirt and jeans, it's not fucking formal." I growled, "Kyle is probably gonna be in basket ball shorts and a hoodie. I'm giong like this, it's fine."

"Well, I dont want them to think I'm a slob."

I rolled my eyes, "Please, they live with Kyle." I pointed out.

He laughed then nodded.

"London's the problem?"

"That's what I think." He confirmed.

I thought about it then nodded to myself as he grabbed what he wanted to wear and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door half way, getting ready for dinner at Kyle's Father's house.

Before I knew it, we were at the house and dinner was being cooked as everyone visited with each other and Kyle's family started to get to know Joel, so far, they love him. Walking into the kitchen, I found Kyle making some spiked eggnog for himself.

He looked over at me before smiling gently, "Want some?"

I smiled back, "Love some," I mumbled as I walked over to him.

He handed me the glass he just made for himself then grabbed another glass as he started to make another drink for himself.

Sipping the beverage, I eyed my boyfriend before sighing softly, "I dont want to be the Godparents."

"That's fine," Kyle mumbled as he took a sip of his drink.

I put my glass down then took his from him, putting it next to mine before wrapping my arms around his neck, "Dance with me,"

Looking down at me, a smirk formed on his lips as he snaked his arms around my waist slowly. As we swayed to our own rhythm, he continued to stare in my eyes in a confused manner, like he didnt understand something.

"What?" I muttered quietly.

He bit his bottom lip as he thought for a minute, taking his time in answering me. "You seem different tonight," He pointed out, "Are you feeling ok?"

"I feel fine. How am I different?"

He shrugged then worry washed over his blue eyes and pain ran deep in his face, "I love you, you know that right?"

"I love you, too." I replied.

He didnt seem convinced, "Chloe are you truly ok?" He let me go taking a step back, "You're not thinking about ..." He trailed off for a moment, "You know that I would be completely lost without you, right?" He questioned, "Everything about my future has you in it."

I tilted my head to the side then frowned when I finally understood what he was thinking, "I'm not going anywhere." I assured, "And I'm definitely not going to hurt myself." I added.

"You cant get upset at me for thinking that, you know." He insisted, "You have been a little ... depressed? I dont know if that's the right word."

"I had a talk with Joel," I informed him, "He helped me out."

Kyle frowned, "You couldnt talk to me about how you're feeling?" He questioned.

Was he jealous? "No, you were apart of my problem. I needed a third party."

His eyebrows pinched closer together, "I was apart of your problem?"

I nodded, "You've been moody with me since I've been back. Not bad, but you witty jabs here and there, and you seem distracted. I now know the reasoning behind it."

He locked his jaw, "Do you really?"

"Yeah. You are ... frustrated sexually." I said with confidence.

He glared, "Really? That's what you think it is?" He eyed me, "That has very little to do with my mood. Sure I wouldnt mind spending a good forty eight hours alone with you in a hotel room with no phones on and lost in the moment, but I'm a little pissed off."

"Why?" I frowned.

"Since you've been home it's been nothing but you. Chloe this, Chloe that ... have you even asked me about how my life has been? You asked me nothing about how I have been since you've left. It's been about you, and I didnt say anything because I know this is a hard time for you, but if you think that this is about me not getting enough sex, you must think I'm pretty damn shallow."

I was taken aback by Kyle as he tried not to raise his voice with me, not wanting his family to come in and poke their heads into our business, but if we were alone, I would bet everything I own that he would've been yelling at me at the top of his lungs.

Slouching my shoulders, I let out a gentle sigh, "How have you been?" I whispered.

He eyed me for a few second debating on whether or not if he wants to answer me or not, "I've been better," He answered, "I dropped my classes, Chloe."

I frowned, "Why?"

"because I couldnt handle it," He shrugged, "With working full time, plus all the overtime I've been putting, I couldnt handle it."

"is that all?" I whispered, "Kyle there's no reason to be bummed about dropping your classes."

He shook his head, "No, it's not that Chloe. It's just you never ask about me, even over the phone it was always you and your parties or you and your midterms."

"Is that why you're being pissy?" I asked, "Because you think I dont care?"

"I suppose. I feel like I'm putting out more effort in this relationship then you are. I'm always your shoulder to cry on, I always come running when you need me. I dont feel like I'm geting that back."

"Are you two fighting in here?" Kyle's Father questioned.

"No Dad, just talking." Kyle insisted truthfully, because this wasnt really a fight, it was more about expressing our feelings.

"Well then, I guess I'll leave you alone ... check the roast please, Kyle."

Kyle nodded then watched his Dad walk away. Once he was gone, Kyle went to the stove, checking on the dinner, "Listen Chloe, I dont want this to end up in a huge drama filled fight. I just wanted you to know my feelings is all. I'm not all about sex, I thought you of all people would know that."

I made a face, "I do know that, it's just Joel said that's what you told him."

Kyle turned to me, "I hardly know Joel, I wasnt going to tell him what was really wrong so I went with the sex excuse." Kyle informed me.

"Kyle, I'm sorry, I guess I could try harder."

His blue eyes scanned my face, "I didnt want to bring this up you know," He whispered, "I know you're having a hard time, you're confused and I dont blame you. I'm not saying that I dont like being your rock you lean on, but sometimes I need that in return."

"Do you hate me for being a shitty girlfriend?" I mumbled.

He made a face, "I think I can over look this," He joked with a gentle smirk.

I forced a smile back at him. Sighing loudly, he reached over to my hand and tugged me towards his body before hugging me tighty. I hugged back resting my head against his shoulder, "Things will be better," I assured, "Now that I'm moving home and just letting go. Starting over."

Kyle pushed me away slowly, "Starting over?" He smirked, "Well, then ... I'm Kyle Burns, you are?" He held back a laugh.

I laughed as well, "Funny, Burns ... very funny."

He shrugged a little, "So, I have to get up early tomorrow and go to work."

"When's your next day off?"

"Christmas," He answered.

I made a face, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, it's busy right now Boo. Everyone we hired for the season seems to have their head up their ass and ends up ruining shit."

"Dont talk like that," I demanded, "Not tonight at least, it's a family gathering, foul language is not ok."

He rolled his eyes, "Anyway, I need to be there but we'll have time together."

I kissed him lovingly, "I'm gonna try harder,"

He nodded, "I know," He whispered then kissed me back for a second before grabbing our egg nog, "Shall we get back to the party?"

I nodded, "Yeah, everyone is probably thinking we're at each others throats in here, huh?"

"I wouldnt doubt it." He joked then waited for me to take the lead, following me back into the living room where everyone else was at. I think from here on out, things are going to change for the better. Hopefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
You remind her, that your future would be nothing without her...