So Young at Heart

Chapter Two

I tapped my pencil against the desk, watching the clock. I was in English class, and it was the last period of the day. Don’t get me wrong, I love English class, I just want the weekend. And it’s going to be here in approximately five minutes. Sighing, I looked toward the back of the class, where Gabe sat. Actually, the correct word is slouched. I couldn’t tell from how far away I was, but it looked as if his eyes were closed. A small smile creeped up on my mouth as I suppressed a giggle.

“Something funny, Miss Wilson?” I held my breath, slowly turning to the front of the room. Oh shit.

“Nothing, sir. I was, um...just thinking about a joke a friend told me.” I looked back desperately at Gabe, and saw him sitting upright in his chair. His mouth was covered by his hand, and he seemed to be having a difficult time not bursting out with laughter.

“You know that we don’t tolerate distractions during class. An hour of detention for disrupting class; You too, Mr. Saporta,” the teacher ordered. With that, it was my turn to suppress laughter. Gabe groaned, glaring at me. I grinned cheesily. He shook his head, a small smile on his face. I looked back toward the front of the classroom, where the teacher had resumed teaching. I glanced at the clock; thirty seconds until school was out. And then I had an hour of detention. At least I’d have Gabe with me.

I looked around the class at all of the faces looking expectantly at the clock above the teachers head. He must know that nobody is paying attention; nobody is even glancing at him.

I jumped as the bell rang. There was instantly a flurry of bodies rushing towards the door. Among them was a tall boy in a purple hoodie. I sprang up from my seat, catching up to Gabe.

“Hey, loser, guess what we get to do now?” I asked him, faux enthusiasm dripping from my voice.

“Something fun?” He asked with a grin, turning to me.

I sighed. “Well, let’s make the most of it, I guess.”

“Come on, Riles, let’s get a hoppin’!” I laughed as Gabe started skipping down the hall towards the cafeteria, where detention usually took place. I jogged after him, finding it impossible to keep up with his long strides.

“You know, not all of us are six foot four,” I panted, finally reaching the cafeteria. Gabe, who had gotten there long before, was leaning against the wall, acting laid back and bored.

“Took you long enough,” he huffed, moving from his place on the wall. “Come on, let’s go in.”

I nodded, and he walked to the large double doors, opening one. “After you,” he said with a grin.

“What a gentleman,” I responded sarcastically. I strode in with him following suit.

~ ~ ~

“Well thank God that that is over with,” Gabe sighed as the two of us walked out of the building. “Finally! Weekend!”

“Yes! ...What should we do?” I asked, a puzzled look on my face.

“Hmm…” Gabe stroked his chin thoughtfully. “We could always drive to your cabin and hang out. It’s not like we have any homework or anything,” he said.

“That’s an awesome idea! I haven’t been there forever!” I practically jumped up and down in excitement.

“Didn’t you go there last week?” he questioned.

“One week away from that place is one week too long,” I grinned. Gabe and I both adored my family’s cabin. It was about an hour out of New York. I was the only person to ever go to it since my parents were always away on business trips. It was our little hideout, in a sense.

“Riley?” Gabe snapped a finger in front of my face.

“Yeah?”

“You were getting spacey,” he said.

“Oh..okay. Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” I said, hopping down the street to my house. Gabe came stomping after.

This was going to be a fun weekend.