Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

September 2004

September 2004 - 10 years later

"Ryan? Is that you?" shouted Stella. She was tidying Ryan's bedroom even though she had asked him to do it about twenty times.

No answer. She was sure that she'd heard his key in the door.

"Ryan?" she shouted. "Are you OK?" she said from the top of the stairs.

"Fine." she heard, then some rummaging about in drawers and cupboards opening and closing.

She went downstairs to see what he was up to. He couldn't be looking for food, he'd only just had his lunch and then he was popping out to the music store. What was he doing? He was making one hell of a noise.

He had his back to her when she entered the kitchen and was looking in a drawer. She noticed the bag on the kitchen table. HMV it said on it. So he'd bought their CD then she thought to herself.

"What are you looking for honey?" said Stella.

"Just... just something to put on this," he said showing her his knuckles. They were red raw and sore looking.

"What on earth have you done?" said Stella grabbing at his hand and checking it out. She looked up and noticed that his lip was cut and he had the beginnings of a black eye.

"Oh Ryan. What's been going on?" she said to him.

He didn't answer at first, just looked away.

"It was those kids that hang about on the corner. They saw me with the HMV bag and asked what I had bought. I told them I had bought the new Green Day Album. They snatched it off of me and took a look inside. They didn't smash it or anything just handed me the bag back and when I told them that Green Day were my uncles they told me I was a lying shitbag and didn't believe me, that no-one believes me round here about that. Why don't they believe me mum? They are like uncles aren't they? Except they've never been here. We've hardly heard from them for two years. I remember when they came before when I was ten and we went to visit them in London. We stayed in that posh hotel with them for the weekend. It was awesome Mum. Why don't they ever come here?

"They've been busy," said Stella. "and it was always easier for me to go to see them in London than for them to come here. They have a lot going on when they tour."

"But you haven't heard from them in months, just that one letter from Adrienne telling you that they were really busy getting out this new album," said Ryan looking fed up. "Uncle Mike and Uncle Tre haven't even written to me," he said suddenly looking tearful.

"I know honey but when they tour this time I'm sure we'll get to see them, they're bound to send us tickets. They always did." She was sure they would. No, she knew they would. Her stomach felt nervous thinking about them because this time they came she would have to tell them the secret that she'd been hiding for two years.

1996

"Stella I'm leaving you," said Frank matter of factly.

"What?" said Stella looking up from her newspaper. She had been searching for premises for her business, it was getting really successful and she wanted to rent a place somewhere rather than having her clients at home traipsing in and out.

"I'm... leaving you," he said staring at her.

Stella's heart skipped a beat but she didn't answer him. Ryan was at his nursery school. He was four now and went to Nursery every morning so that Stella could run her photography business.

"I'm sorry but... things aren't right Stella," he said.

"It's her isn't it?" said Stella.

Frank just nodded.

Her. His receptionist, young, really pretty and without someone else's child on tow.

"How long?" said Stella although she kind of had an idea.

"Six months," replied Frank.

"Oh so just after Christmas then?" said Stella still looking at him.

He didn't even have the decency to look guilty she thought.

"Look. You and Ryan, I'll still be around if you need me," he said.

"It's OK Frank, I can manage." and she could, she'd built up her own business and was quite successful. She did photography for the odd wedding, worked for the local newspaper occasionally and took lots of family group shots and children's photographs at home in the spare bedroom that she had converted into a kind of studio. She could live off her own money comfortably. She didn't need Frank.

"I know," said Frank. "You always were independent," he said.

"I've had to be Frank," said Stella.

"When are you going?" she said.

"Tonight." he couldn't look at her.

"What shall we do about the house?" said Stella.

"We can sell it eventually," he said. "I'll help pay the mortgage until it's sold then..."

"Frank. I don't want your money; I can manage the mortgage on my own. I want to keep this house, as I love it here. You can sign everything over to me. I don't want anything of yours."

"Stella I'm sorry about this."

"I don't think you are Frank and to be quite honest, well, lets just say things were never right between us. You couldn't quite do the family thing could you? I know you've been good to us and you love Ryan but its more than just giving him pocket money every week, he needs someone to take him to the park and sit and read with him. You never did the little things like that; it was always down to me."

"Stella can I still see you and Ryan?"

"I don't see why you'd need to? Perhaps its best we just cut our ties completely, Ryan may be confused. He's only four after all."

"I'll go and pack my bags," said Frank.

"Yes, you do that Frank," said Stella. "Oh... and Frank?"

He turned to look at her.

"I never did love you," she said matter of factly just like he'd told her he was leaving, just like that.

"I know," he said and walked out but then he turned back once and spoke.

"You know your problem Stella, you still think of those guys too often, you light up when you get their letters and it's as if normal every day life isn't good enough for you. I really don't know why you just didn't go to America years ago when you had the chance. I can't live anymore with someone who wants to be somewhere else. With someone else."

California...

"I've got a letter from Stella," said Mike. "It says that her and Frank have split up."

"Really?" said Tre taking a sudden interest.

"Yeah, he's run off with his receptionist it says here," said Mike. "Poor Stella." he so felt for what she must be going through.

"I thought Frank and her were good together," said Billie.

"I think there was something missing," said Adrienne remembering her conversation with Stella a couple of years back.

"What do you mean?" said Mike,

"Oh nothing. She seemed to imply that she had her heart with someone else," said Adrienne.

Both Tre and Mike sat up and listened to this. They both suddenly thought the same thing. Was it me that Stella thought of?

September 2004

"Its amazing," said Ryan showing Stella the CD case. She took it from him and checked it out.

American Idiot she read. So this is what it was all about. This is the cause of all the family problems that you guys have had. I hope it will all be worth it thought Stella putting the CD into the CD player and playing it. She listened to it all through without saying a word, just listened.

"See Mum how cool is that?" said Ryan, her dark curly haired, haired blue-eyed boy. He was beautiful, she thought.

"You're right, its wonderful," said Stella and she really did think so. It was wonderful and it was different and it had made an impact on her. You guys are so talented she thought to herself. She almost felt like crying listening to that and her memory wandered then to the last letter that she had received from Adrienne. It was dated March 2004, six months ago.

Dear Stella

We're so sorry that we all haven't written to you in absolutely ages. The guys have been busy in the studio and a lot has happened, its put a strain on everyone. Mike is no longer in a relationship and Tre has split up with Claudia. It's so difficult for them and Billie and I have been put through hell too. It was such a difficult time for us I sometimes thought that we were going to split up. Now we have realised that we are stronger than that and if we can get through those times then we can get through anything. The album they are working on is meant to be awesome and it had better be Stella.

Tre is very low at the moment and so is Mike. They actually talked about coming over to England to see you and spending some time away from here. I told them to do it, go ahead and take some time out. They may well do.

The children are doing well at school. Joey is so like his father it is untrue and Jakob, well Jakob is just my little darling.

Did you see the photographs of Tre with little Frankito at Christmas? That little boy is so adorable. Him and Tre are like two peas in a pod. They're not that alike in looks, not like him and Ramona but personality wise they could be twins. Tre was always acting the kid, now he has a little fella that he can do all the things he's wanted to do with. Ramona is turning into a pretty young lady and has definitely got the look of Tre about her.

Mike plays the doting dad over Estelle and he and Ana are still on good terms, thank goodness. It was such a shame when the split up. They'd been together for so long. You know I spoke to Ana recently and she told me that she felt a little jealous of you sometimes, especially when you wrote your letters back and forth. She felt it was a part of Mike that you always had and she could never be a part of. What a shame to hold a small grudge like that for so long.

I don't really understand what she means but something you said to me a long time ago still comes to my mind. I'm sure that there was someone once that stole your heart and I know you haven't met anyone since Frank but... who the hell IS this other guy Stella? Do you still hold him close to your heart? Is there a chance that you and he could be together?

Michelle is so well and settled now with her own bass player who plays locally in a band. They're such a good band and she is so in love with him and so proud. I'm sure they'll get married and when they do you MUST come over. But I'm sure you know this as she writes to you non-stop.

Anyway, love to you and Ryan and once again I am apologising on behalf of all the guys for none of us writing to you sooner. American Idiot has taken over our lives. I sure do hope that it is all going to be worth it.

Lots of Love

From

Adrienne x


That was the last she heard from them. Six months ago and now their new album was out and they were bound to be touring again. She was a little nervous because she knew when she saw them again they'll get to find out about the secret that she had been keeping from them for two years. The secret that was upstairs having her nap. The little girl with the blonde hair and the blue eyes that were exactly like his.