Sequel: This is Home

Watching the Stars

Skipping Lessons

A few weeks later and Caspian was still infatuated with the idea of stars in the sky. Every night he would stay up a little later than usual, against his Professor and Uncle’s wishes, and watch the brilliant sky. He tried to compare the stars to anything beautiful: jewels, sweets, words. But nothing that could describe the stars would escape his lips, and his mind would go to bed disappointed.

On a particular day in the middle of the warm-weather weeks, Caspian was playing a game. The game was to tell Doctor Cornelius where to meet him for lessons outdoors, but not show up for the lessons. Caspian’s mind was impatient to sit and learn when he could be playing or exploring. The not-so-fun end of the game was for Cornelius, who would usually spend hours searching for the young prince.

Today, Caspian wandered off outside the castle, because remaining within the area of the main castle would increase his chances of getting caught. He found himself on a little path, watching as people walked by him without acknowledging his name. He had disguised himself in a hooded cloak, so he guessed that they couldn’t see him anyways.

Boredom eased onto him, and then he decided that he needed something to do. It was easy for Caspian to get his way, but a small boy in a hooded cloak could do nothing of the sort. And if he were to reveal his disguise to anyone, surely he’d be taken back inside the castle to do lessons, and possibly extra work.

The weather in Telmar usually became very warm in the afternoons, and Caspian realized that the sun was already in the middle of the bright blue sky. His throat felt very dry all of a sudden, and it did not take very long for Caspian to be panting and thinking of flowing water back at the castle.

But the castle promised lessons and Caspian wanted none of that, especially on a nice (before the sun became hot) day. So Caspian kept wandering on until he saw a girl around his age, carrying a small bucket of water.

“Excuse me,” Caspian called out to the girl. “If I could have a drink of water, I would surely pay you back...”

The girl spun around, to look at who was talking to her. Her dark eyes widened and she shrieked, dropping the bucket of water onto her feet.

“Oh—no, wait!” Caspian cried, flinging off his hood. “No, I’m no stranger, I’m... I’m just a boy!”

The girl watched helplessly as he walked over and picked up her bucket, handing it to her. She still had a frightened look in her eyes. “Please—don’t hurt me!”

“I would never, I was just passing by, and I need a drink of water,” Caspian informed her, smiling politely.

“Well... get it yourself then!” the girl huffed, and Caspian drew back. He’d never taken any rude comments (except those from his Uncle, but he knew his Uncle very well enough to not take them seriously).

“I can’t cup it in my hand and use the pump at the same time!” Caspian replied, narrowing his eyes. “Please, I ask of you, to please just help me get a drink of water, and I’ll be on my way.”

The girl frowned, and then sighed. “What is your name, stranger?”

Caspian thought for a second. If he told the girl, she would yell, and then he’d be sent back for lessons and punishment for leaving during them. “Cornelius,” he mumbled, thinking of his professor.

“Well then... Cornelius... I suppose I could fix you up a drink,” the girl grinned, and then muttered, “Since you made me spill it in the first place.”

Caspian nodded, for he was much too weak to do anything else. “Greatest thanks,” he panted between sips of water. He then checked his pockets, only to find them empty of any money or gifts of thanks.

“As thanks... maybe I can walk you to your home,” Caspian suggested with an embarrassed smile on his lips. The girl smiled back.

“I don’t need thanks,” she laughed. “But if you suppose...” She filled the bucket with water again and they both set out in the direction of her home.

* * *

The young girl, Estella, had soon become a friend to Cornelius (Caspian still did not want to be taken back to the castle). She spent most of her days running errands for her mother (while her father was in the Telmarine army), and received no lessons at all, which surprised Caspian. However, he pushed that thought into the back of his mind and kept walking with her, occasionally checking behind him to see if anyone was following him.

“Mother!” Estella called into her house. “I’ve brought home a friend; he says his name is Cornelius.”

Caspian gulped. He hoped that she wasn’t suspicious of him.

Caspian heard an older woman’s voice inside the house, “What is this nonsense now, Estella? You were supposed to bring the water for washing up and come right back...”

Now Caspian was scared that he would get recognized, for the older citizens would be able to recognize him. It was not so much for the younger ones, like Estella, but surely her mother or grandmother would know.

“Your Royal Highness!” Caspian heard another voice—the voice of his tutor—right behind him. He was in deep trouble now for sure.

“Your Royal Highness?” Estella questioned. The girl’s mother reached the door by the time that Doctor Cornelius grasped Caspian’s shoulder.

“My apologies, woman and girl of Telmar, but the Prince must be going now to continue his studies.” Cornelius coughed politely, but he whispered in Caspian’s ear, “You shall be chastised for not attending your lessons later, dear Prince.”

“Prince? Estella, what is going on? Have you kidnapped the prince?” Estella’s mother asked, and she folded her arms in a disapproving manner.

“He said his name was—” Estella cried, but stopped and turned to Caspian. “You lied to me!”

“We really must be going,” Cornelius cut in. “We will all have a word with Prince Caspian later, on my word. He shall be here tomorrow when the sun is setting, to apologize for his inconveniences. Correct, my Prince?”

“Yes,” Caspian agreed, feeling rotten that he had caused so much trouble.

“Good day to you both,” Cornelius nodded to the women, and then he and Caspian both set out for the castle—and Caspian’s extra-long lessons.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D

They'll get older later. Hope whoever reads this likes the chapter!