Sequel: This is Home

Watching the Stars

Marriage?

Estella had not gotten far when she ran into Felix.

“Move,” she huffed, wanting to get away from Caspian as far as possible. Still, Felix would not budge.

“I heard what you were saying to the Prince,” Felix grinned. Estella groaned inside, because she had said too much to Caspian. And for Felix to hear? She knew that he wasn’t dumb. It was his perfect opportunity.

“And?” Estella asked, relaxing her posture. If Felix had that ‘love’ look in his eyes, the longing for her... She couldn’t believe herself.

“Well,” Felix shrugged. “I am taking a liking to you. And I am sorry that I was rude the other day.”

Estella held her breath.

“I could easily support you. Work all day, come home. As long as you can cook, and take care of the children—” Estella nearly gagged when he said this “—it would be no problem.”

She couldn’t believe that she was thinking this over. She didn’t have to do much more thinking, though, when her mother suddenly came up behind her.

“Oh, Estella! Are you picking Felix?” Beatriz exclaimed. “I could see it. I could.”

That was the problem of listening to Beatriz. She was old and old-fashioned. Beatriz had not picked her husband; he was picked for her. And now she was so happy that Estella was going to pick a husband.

Beatriz was also dying. Estella knew, even though her own mother denied it. But Beatriz was old, Estella reminded herself again.

“What is this, boy?” another old woman, most likely Felix’s mother. “Married, did I hear? And to this lovely young girl.”

“Mother, I didn’t exactly ask yet,” Felix stammered. He was afraid of his own mother, Estella observed. Fantastic.

“And I didn’t accept,” Estella added in, frowning.

“But you will accept?” Beatriz asked with hopeful eyes.

“I just thought of it today! I can’t be pressured,” Estella groaned. “Felix, I will talk to you in private later?”

Felix was already getting dragged away by his mother, who was talking his ears off. She sighed. If that was going to be Estella’s mother-in-law... She didn’t even think of finishing that sentence.

“Yes,” Felix called back.

Estella didn’t despise Felix so much anymore, now that she knew his background. She could do some more understanding. But kids?! Felix had mentioned kids...

She shook her head and started walking home with her mother, who was babbling on about how wonderful it would be to see her only daughter wed before she died.

* * *

If Estella no longer hated Felix, then there was someone who hated him more.

“Let’s have him killed!” Caspian suggested to his tutor, who reminded him to keep on his study sheets. “I am serious, Professor! He is a disgusting pig. And she is falling for it. It is not fair.”

Cornelius set his glasses down on his desk. “Are you sure she is but a friend, Caspian?”

“Of-Of course! Nothing more,” Caspian replied bitterly.

“Then may I ask why you are suggesting murder to a man who has done nothing towards you?” Cornelius sighed. “Perhaps you have inherited some of Miraz’s genes, after all...”

“What?” Caspian whipped his head up from the words on his papers. The doctor replied with a small, “Nothing”, and that was the end of that conversation.

* * *

“Mother, I do not need measurements,” Estella groaned. “I do not need a dress made. I do not need anything for this. I am already sacrificing so much.”

Beatriz didn’t hear the last words of her sentence, which was good. “Oh, Estella, I will put flowers in your hair. Flowers that will be beautiful on your special, special day.”

Flowers only made her think of Caspian.

“Mother, I have not talked with Felix yet.”

“But it is easy to see. He already loves you. You will be married by the end of next week.”

“Next week?! Mother, I have barely had time to think this over, and now I am getting... getting married, next week? That is... that is hardly enough time for me to think this over. Mother, I demand another date for it. I have not said yes yet and I can easily change my answer.”

Beatriz pretended not to hear her.

Estella pretended that she was in some faraway land, and not in Telmar, where she would marry someone she hardly knew next week.

* * *

Cornelius picked up his glasses again. “My Prince, there is something more important than death wishes that I wish to talk to you about. It involves murder, but not in the way you think—”

“But Professor!” Caspian protested. “She is getting married! I am losing my friend. Losing her!”

Cornelius’ look softened. “My Prince...”

“Stop it. Stop saying that. Me being a Prince is no good for her, is it? Unless... unless there is a rule for marriages! Could I set up rules yet? It would be good practice for being King—”

“That is precisely what I need to talk to you about,” Cornelius sighed. “Caspian, you are in d—”

“Ahh, Cornelius. Still teaching the remaining lessons, I see?” Miraz’s cold voice asked as he entered the room. “I see that you are... glad to have me back.” He smirked at Cornelius’ frown.

“Uncle, I was wondering if I could set a law about marriages,” Caspian butted in. Miraz’s smirk twisted into a cruel smile.

“Yes, yes, Caspian. We shall talk about that tomorrow. It sounds like a good idea. But first, I must rest. The journey was long, and it won’t be much longer before Prunaprismia gives birth.”

Cornelius nodded, and so did Caspian. Caspian’s nod was more excited.

“Good night,” Miraz said, with a look in his eye. Caspian ignored it and turned back to his paper, while Cornelius gazed at the door with a raised eyebrow.

“Caspian, your lessons for today are finished,” Cornelius grumbled. “In fact, there is no more that you need to know. So from now on, you are to practice your riding and hunting. If you need information, you are free to come into this office whenever you are in need. It was a pleasure being your tutor.”

Caspian jumped up from his seat. “Oh, thank you, Professor! It was a pleasure being your student.”

Cornelius sighed as he watched the Prince skip merrily out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate to say it, but there are only a few more chapters left.
There will be a sequel, though. I'm sure of it... if any of you will read it. :]