Status: Done! :D

A Small Unhealthy World

A Small Unhealthy World

Image

Maybe God didn't get my prayer, because after our hospital stay I never saw Nick again. His memory would wander to my mind at least 12 times a week. I tried to call him, but he must have given me the wrong number.

Oddly, Denise and my mother often spoke on the phone but never once was the phone handed to me. Then the boys got famous, and I knew that my last chance at seeing them again were gone.

***5 MONTS LATER***

"Hey Hailey! Your friends are on the TV again!" My sister yelled to me. I ran down to the living room where Joe's face was displayed momentarily on the screen. Sure enough the boys were the next biggest thing, they were everywhere. But for some reason, this interview on TRL was different.

"So Nick, we all heard that you have diabetes. Why don't you tell us a little bit about that?" The interviewer said.

The camera turned to Nick's hesitating face, "You know, it's kind of funny. When I was first at the hospital I made this friend. And without her I don't think I could've made it through all of the tests and crammed classes." He chuckled a little now, his eyes looking distant, like he was no longer there, "We called each other diabetes buddies."

A course of 'aww's' coursed throughout the stage, but I didn't pay attention. He remembered me. The famous Nick Jonas actually remembered me!

I was snapped back to reality when my twin was jumping up and down excitedly, "Oh my gosh! He remembers you!"

I merely nodded and whispered a small "yeah".

I was in a daze and the butterflies in my stomach were back again. Maybe, there is a chance to see him again.

A couple days latter I got a big package in the mail. My whole family gathered around me as I ripped open the box.

At first, all I could see were those stupid Styrofoam peanuts, but as I dug deeper into the box my hand reached something plush.

I pulled out a medium sized yellow stuffed duck, and on it's neck was two things; a card and an orange identification necklace.

As I was holding the duck under my arm I opened the card, it read, "Diabetes buddies still?"

My smile only grew. I called out to my mother, " Mom, where can you play baseball around here?"