Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo One

Image

The past three months have been a torture. I was so close to Nathan, but yet so far away. How, you ask? Well besides that he is in a coma, there is no other reason why. Sorry for being a bit rude, but the man I love is in a coma. Did I mention that?

Mary, Nathan's Aunt, wanted to take Nathan to England to see the best doctors, but John said no. I wanted to thank him for that, but I never got around to it. You see since I found out Nathan was in a coma, my life started to revolve around him. I wouldn't leave the hospital, unless I had to take a shower or change. Pitiful.

~~~One Year in Coma~~~

John and my parents, insisted that I go back to college, so I did, now a year later after Nathan's gun wound, I'm in college in a nursing program in USC.

Boys always looked at me with those lustful eyes. Always seeing a one night stand or just a piece of meat. I missed how Nathan's eyes had love in them and always looked at me in a respectful way.

After my last class I went straight to the hospital. I knew my way by heart. When I opened the door to his room, there was another person there. The person turns his body around.

"Melinda," said Peter, Peter Watson is okay...I guess. He is Nathan's best friend or mate, however the British say, nothing against the British, because I find their accents smexy.

I put on a forced smile."Hey Pete."

He stands from the arm chair and comes over to me and we hug, awkwardly.

"How have you been?" he asked.

I muse and then answer."Okay... I guess. Living."

"Heard you went back to college." he said.

"Yeah. Why are you here?" I asked.

"Well it was Nathan's birthday not too long ago, not the way I imagined him turning 21." he said.

"I know." I sighed in agreement.

"Isn't your birthday around there dates?" he asked.

"It's today." I said in a uninteresting tone.

"Then what are you doing here?" he asked like it was stupid to be here.

I didn't know what to answer."Well... I just wanted to be with Nathan."

"They told me you would be here." he said more to himself than to me.

"Who told you?" I demanded.

"Your friends. Melinda, you need to have fun. You need a break." he said.

"I don't need a break." I snapped. Okay, so I did, but I wasn't going to admit it.

"Nathan wouldn't want you to be mourning all of the time." said Peter. He was right... again."Let's go to Vegas my treat."

I giggle and shake my head in disapproval.

"C'mon it'll be fun, plus I've never been to Vegas." he pouted.

"Let me have some time with Nathan and we'll go." I gave in.

"yes!" said Peter like he just made a touchdown. He flashes me a smile and walks out the room. The sudden silence scared me, well not complete silence, the beeping of the monitor was the only sound. I went to the edge of the bed and looked at the sleeping Nathan.

I tried to smile as I caressed his cheek with the back of my fingers.

"Guess what? I'm 19 now. It's been a hard year, but you waking up is my reason for living, so please don't give me a reason not to live." I pleaded, even though he couldn't probably hear me.

~~~Two Years in Coma~~~

This time the anniversary landed on a free day.

Peter and I had a lot of fun in Las Vegas, though we couldn't go into casinos since I wasn't 21, we did other things... not what you're thinking! We went to see some musicals and saw a boxing match. After that we still remained in contact for the past year and he came to my house for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I went to John's house and celebrated New Year's.

He started to grow on me. Little by little. I forgave him for the things in the past. But even he couldn't help me forget Nathan.

"Melinda you need to move on." said Linda as we were at our new apartment we shared. Her mom agreed to let her move out before college. Maya too.

"You need to let go." Maya added.

"How can I let go of the being I love the most?" I asked.

"By opening yourself to someone else." said Linda, irritation in her voice.

"If you were in a coma, wouldn't you want Nathan to move on? For him to be happy?" said Maya.

I opened my mouth but then I shut it as I realized she was right. If me and Nathan switched spots, I would want him to be happy, even if it meant not with me.

"It's not like there is a guy after me." I said.

"Ay dios mio por que esta muchacha esta tan ciega?!" said Linda looking up. (God, why is this girl so blind?!)

"Hey!" I was offended

"Melinda, Peter has been ogle-ling you for a while now. I mean he's been there since the beginning." said Maya.

"Yeah, but it's Nathan's best friend or mate, which ever." I said getting myself confused.

"At least it's not his brother." said Linda shrugging her shoulders innocently. I roll my eyes.

"I don't know guys..."

"Melinda, you deserve the best. You're kind, friendly, caring, smart and beautiful."

"Getting too friendly Maya." I joked, she punches my shoulder."Ow." I rubbed my shoulder.

"I was patronizing you." she defended.

"Flattered." I said with a dark look.

"Look, give Peter a chance. You might end up liking him." said Linda.

"Fine! I will." I raised my hands in defeat. I hated arguing. Not a good trait to have.

Peter and I ended up having a date. He looked so happy and John didn't seem to mind, which was what I was worried about. Then after our third date...stop thinking wrong!.... he asked me to be his girlfriend and I accepted. Is this wrong? I mean, what are the chances of Nathan waking up? The doctors said 1 in 500,000. Still it should be enough.

~~~Three Years in Coma and Last One~~~

Now at the age of 21, I had a steady boyfriend.Longest relationship I've had in a while. We barely argued and when we did we always made up. We haven't had sex. What?! I want to be sure it's the ONE I give it to.

In school I just finished my GED and was going to start my Nursing Program, I concentrated on L and D nurse, which means Labor and Delivery Nurse. So midwife, was still my motivation in medicine.

I entered Nathan's room. Still the only sound was the heart monitor.

"Hey guess what? Muse has a new song. It's called Map of the Problematique, it's so sex." I said taking out my phone and went to my music and turned it on and played."Just thought you oughta know. Well things with Peter are going fine, he's been kind of weird though, like he's hiding something. I still miss you. Wanna hear our fave song?" I scrolled down to Supermassive Black Hole.

I sang to the song as it played and held onto his hand. Then I felt something twitch. At first I thought it was my imagination, but then it happened again. I looked down at my hand and saw Nathan opening it and closing. Once again I opened my mouth but nothing came out. Finally my body moved and I pushed the button to call for the nurse.

The nurses rush in.

"He moved!" I said."He moved his hand!"

"Mel--Me--Melinda." my body froze as I heard his voice calling me, like a wake up call. Stunned, I slowly turned my head to Nathan, he's beautiful blue eyes looked back at me.

"Call the doctor!" ordered one of the nurse to another nurse.

"Nathan." my voice in a whisper."Nathan!" I said louder. I went to my knees on the side of the bed and I started to cry and I kissed his hand.

"Ma'am I'm gonna need you to step outside." one of nurse touched my shoulder. Nathan smiles and my heart was full of joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here's the first chapter of the sequel. =] Comment?