Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Thirty-Seven

---Melinda---

“Why?” I quivered as I stared into his cold eyes.

He let’s out a malevolence laugh that sent chills up my spine. My lips trembled in rage.
He came towards me; I was tied up to a wood chair.

“Dear, dear, dear Melinda.” He shook his head side to side. “I loved you, I gave you my all and you repay me with giving yourself to him!” He spat and strikes me across the cheek.


I wake up and I’m back in my room. Not tied to a chair, not bleeding from my lip and certainly not held by Kevin. It was a nightmare. It was all a nightmare. Or could it be a warning? A warning of something much worse coming and I didn’t pay much attention to it because I had to go.

I took a quick shower and then dressed in my scrubs and hurried to the hospital as soon as possible.

“Morning!” I greeted everyone at the front desk with a grin on my face.

“Someone had a nice weekend?” My resident asked me she wiggled her eyebrows and grinned. Her name is Olivia Hampton, but I called her Ms. H.

“Yes, I did, Ms. H, a very nice weekend.” I smirked.

“I’m glad, you look a lot happier.” She commented.

“That I am. Now, what do we have today?”

“Let’s see…” She checked her clipboard and smiled. “You have three patients today. Let’s get started.”

I smiled as she handed me the clipboard and I went on to my duties.

When I walked out of the hospital it was raining. I ran to my car and when I got in my phone went off with Nathan’s ring tone.

I smiled wider as I pressed the green button.

“Good afternoon.” I heard him say and my heart fluttered and I smiled wider if plausible.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Fullerton.” I used my British accent.

“You could almost pass for an English woman with that accent.” He chuckled.

“Oh, I think I can.” I kept the accent and then laughed.
“So, want to drop by place tonight or do you want me to come over?”

“Hmm, your place because it doesn’t have nosy roommates.”

We laughed because we both knew we wouldn’t be left alone with Linda there and Maya was back from her adventure in Las Vegas so we would definitely not be alone.

“I’ll be waiting then.”

When I got to his penthouse I didn’t even get to knock. He swung the door open and crashed his lips on mine with so much passion and need.

I kissed him back.

“I smell like the hospital.” I said through the kiss.

“I don’t care.” He said we both started to strip down.

And after another scream of ecstasy, we both laid on the bed in each other’s arms. With the tip of his fingers he would caress my shoulder.

“I was wondering.” Nathan started.

“What?” I whispered.

“I think it’s time I talk with your dad.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. I looked up at him with questioning eyes.

“What for Nathan?”

“Oh I don’t know, ask your hand in marriage perhaps?” He used his sarcastic tone.

My eyes widen in fear. Marriage? I didn’t have the best of luck in that field, actually I had the worst luck and if something happened to Nathan because we are engaged then I would never forgive myself.

“Melinda, what’s wrong?” He asked I looked away in shame. “Is it too soon?”

“Just a tad, let’s just wait a little longer, all right?” I asked and he nodded.

“Whatever you wish, I want you to be ready.” He kissed the top of my head.

“Thanks.” I said. “I have to take a shower; I have dinner with my parents.” I removed the covers and didn’t bother to hide my body because he saw all of me already.
“I think I’ll join you.”

I giggled as he picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bathroom.

“Hello mom.” I hugged my mom tightly and kissed her cheek.

“Melinda, gosh I have missed you so much dear, you don’t come around anymore.” She slightly slapped my shoulder.

“Perdon, mommy, I got worked up with something.” (Sorry)

“You still have a family you know.” My dad said as he hugged me.

“Yeah, yeah ya lo se.” (I know.) I said as I rolled my eyes. “Now let’s eat because I only had lunch today.”

My mom made dinner and she made menudo and I licked my lips as I smelled it. The aroma filled my nose and I felt at home. It had been a long time since I’ve had some Mexican food and I forgot how good it smelt.

“Thank you.” I said as Lily, a maid, placed the plate in front of me. I went for a tortilla and began to eat.

After a while, I looked and saw that my mom and dad were looking at me with funny faces.

“Sorry, it’s been a long time.”

My parents laughed and I blushed.

“It’s so not funny, dad, mom!”

“Ay, mija, of course it’s not funny, but it’s good to have you home. How are you and Nathan?” My mom asked.

I knew my cheeks turned redder and I had a smirk on my face.

“We’re good, better than ever.”

“How so?” My dad asked I couldn’t look up and I felt the tension.

My mom cleared her throat.

“That’s none of our business dear.”

“Of course it’s our business, she’s our daughter!” My dad yelled.

“Sebastian, calm down, Melinda is an adult!”

“Now she can’t wear white at her wedding-“

“DAD!” I yelled offended by his words.

“Sorry, I’m sorry Melinda, I didn’t mean for it to come out like that but… you’re my little girl and… it’s awkward to know… your pureness has been taken, but I am relieved that it wasn’t just anybody… you waited for the right person and that means me and your mom raised you correctly.”

He had a nice save and the anger subsided with his words.

“Thanks papi. I love you all.”

When I got home Peter was waiting outside the door of the apartment. I waved as I approached him.

“Why are you out here?”

He sighed. “Linda doesn’t really like me.”

I chuckled. “That’s an understatement, she loathes you.”

We laughed.

“So… how are you?” He asked.

“Great, actually, things are looking up me and Nathan are closer than ever.”

“Really? Why?”

I looked away in bit my bottom lip and sort of tilted my head to the side.

“Kind of personal.”

His eyes widen as he caught up. There was hurt in his eyes and he tried to hide it with a smile but it didn’t work.

“Peter I—“

“No, it’s all right, it’s understandable, I mean I knew it was going to happen… I was just… yeah. I’m fine, don’t worry about me. We’re friends and just friends.”

There was a long and awkward silence.

“I was wondering if you’d like to have lunch tomorrow. Just as friends.”

I pondered for a second and agreed. I told him to meet me at the near by Subway from the hospital. He pecked my cheek before leaving. The door opened and Maya and Linda gave me cold stares.

“It’s just lunch!” I defended before they could say anything.

“That’s how it starts!” Maya accused. “Then it’s dinner and then at his apartment and finally you’re naked in his arms while Nathan is drowning in his pool of misery because he stole you!” She said in one breath and she finally inhaled some air.

“Don’t be so paranoid, you know I would never do that to Nathan. We’re just friends.”

“Former-almost-rapist are never friends to their victims they always come back to finish what they started!” Linda retorted.

I had no contradiction for that because A. I was tired from the hospital and the sex and B. Because of what my dad said.

“I just believe in second chances. I believe people can change Linda, does that make me a bad person?”

“No, just naïve and gullible.”
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT, please and I'm sorry for not updating