Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty-Two

---Nathan’s Point of View---

Once again I had to tap into my dark side. The mobster side of me, the cold and heartless one getting in touch with my dark side meant letting out the demon inside of me.

With a gun tucked behind me I waited patiently in an office. Or rather a library in an old acquaintance’s home. His name was Noah and he was still in the mobster industry. He sort of took over what I did.

“Nathan, it’s been too long.” Noah came in. He had brown hair and green eyes. Of course he was attractive in a woman’s eyes and the scar on his left eye only made him more attractive to girls.

“Yes, it has.” We shook hands.

“Tell me what brings you here?” Noah said. “Last time I heard you woke up from your coma.”

“Yes. As you know I left the mob for a normal life.”

Noah shook his head. “No, once you’ve had a taste of the dark side you never go back to normal, Nathan, don’t fool yourself.”

I gave him a weak smile. “In your point of view, but once you meet the one everything changes.”

“Oh right, you’re with the Gomez’s daughter, no?” Noah and I sat on his long couch. “Why the visit Nate?” His face became serious.

“I need to know if any of my old ‘friends’ has come back for a vendetta.”

“That I know of… no one.” He said without flinching or uncertainty.

“Don’t lie to me Noah, Melinda is missing.”

“Again, huh, didn’t her ex-obsessive-boyfriend do the same thing?” Noah chuckled.

“I just want to know who took her so I can take care of business.”

Noah stayed silent. “You should leave her Nathan. It won’t be the first it will happen. Once all of your enemies find out you have a major weakness they will go after her and will hurt her.”

“Just tell me who it is.” I growled because I was running out of patience.

“It’s one of the reasons I only do one night stands. Women are complicated and mess with your head. They only slow you down.” There was the Noah I used to agree with. It was one of the things we had in common. We thought women were only good for one thing, sex.

But meeting Melinda changed entirely everything.

“I can’t wait until you fall in love, Noah, having her in danger will drive you insane.”

Noah laughed. “Love was not meant for me, dear friend.” He sighed. “I do know that the O’Brien’s are back.”

Now everything made sense. Devlin O’Brien was an old friend. Sort of, he was with Lucy before I came along… and took her. Well she cheated on him with me.

“I see you remember.” Noah smirked.

“She’s in danger then, isn’t she?” I rubbed my face and groaned. “Bloody hell.”

“You should hurry, before your girlfriend turns up dead in a plastic bag.”

---Melinda’s Point of View---

It’s been about two weeks and all I’ve gotten was visits from Shane, I found out his name. He wasn’t afraid of beating a girl but what I found interesting was that he never strikes me on the face but he would hit my stomach and then kick me.

I guess he wanted to hide that he was hitting me. A few times I was able to land a few punches and scratch marks on his face.

Devlin stopped coming after what happened two weeks ago. I don’t know why, but I was getting annoyed by being here.

The door opened and Devlin comes in with his emotionless expression. I straighten up and stand on my feet ready to fight. He noticed how my eye twitched from pain as I got up.

“What happened to you?” He asked something told me he was really concerned.

I gritted my through the pain. “Nothing that you would care about. Can I please know why you kidnapped me?”

“Nathan Fullerton is the reason. Do you know what he did?”

“He was a mobster, yes I know—“

“We used to be the best of lads, we were.” He continued as if I had not spoken. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms on my chest. “Until he stole my girlfriend from me. Lucinda and I were inseparable.”

“Wait, wait, Lucinda as in Lucy?” I said shocked. I walked up to him and looked him in the eyes.

“You, of course, know her.”

“Yes, that slut has been trying to separate me and Nathan ever since she found out we loved each other! She’s a tramp—“

He strikes me across the face. My eyes glistened.

“Now I know why you loved Lucy, you’re both unsupportable bitches!” I spat. “She’s vile and full of greed!”

“Oh, and your Nathan is so innocent, the way he used girls before you would make you ashamed of being seen with him!” He roared and he took me by the shoulders and shook me. This time I couldn’t hide the pain and yelped. The bruises were hurting so badly. His eyes went from mad to concern. “What is it?!” One of his hands left my arm and went to my abdomen where he barely touched it and I winced.

“DON’T!” I whimpered.

“Did they touch you?” He whispered.

I glared at him.

“Why do you care? You’re only here to hurt me to hurt Nathan.”

His eyes went back to angry.

“Nathan isn’t a bad guy. He saved me from death. He took a bullet for me and I almost married his best friend.”

“He took the only thing I ever loved.”

“No, he did you a favor, Lucy is a bitch and you know it.”

“He was my best friend; she cheated on me with him.” He might’ve as well taken my heart and stomped on it.

“Stop it.” I said.

“I trusted him and he stabbed me in the back.” He continued.

My heart breaking.

“Stop, please.”

“He didn’t care that I was his best friend. They went around my back and—“

This time I slapped him with the hand that was free. I took my other arm back.

“I said shut up!”

“Can’t hear the hard truth of your idol?” He rubbed his cheek that I had strike.

“Leave me alone.” I hugged myself. Did I really know Nathan? I mean, sure I know he was heartless and cold but I would think of him doing that to his best friend. “Leave me alone.”

---Devlin O’Brien’s Point of View---

I knew I hit a nerve. Melinda backed away from me as she hugged herself doubting her love for Nathan. It was what I wanted but I wanted Nathan to suffer more, but could I do it by hurting Melinda?

It was foolish what I was feeling. I wanted Nathan to pay and the only way is to hurt Melinda but I couldn’t bear to see her hurt. Something about her made me regret every word I said to her. I wanted to comfort her to hold her close to me… to kiss those lips that called to me so badly.

She looked so innocent and vulnerable. She was still in her yellow dress it was dirty but she looked good. Even with her dirty face she looked good.
Before I could do anything irrational I walked out of the room and went straight to Shane’s room.

I didn’t bother to knock and he was looking at a playboy magazine. My nostrils flared.

“HEY, knock will ya, lad?!” He yelled. He looked at my angry expression and gulped. “What?”

“You hit her?!” I roared.

His half smile fell and looked entirely nervous.

“I-I-I might’ve smacked her a bit…wait, wait.” I was ready to land him a good punch but he raised his hands. “She bit me and I just showed her who was in charge here.”

“That would be me!” I punched him. Shane went on his back and that’s when I took advantage and started to punch him over and over again.

He shouldn’t have touched a single hair on her.