Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Fifty-Three

“Uh… what’s going on?” Linda asked. As Devlin and I stood up.

I was red as a tomato.

“Um.” I said straightening my clothes. “This is Devlin, Devlin these are my best friends Maya and Linda.” I pointed at each of them.

Their eyes narrow.

“A pleasure.” Devlin said extending his hand to shake them but they left him hanging.

I stood awkwardly between them.

“Who is he?” Linda asked. “Please don’t tell me he’s your kidnapper.”

I pursed my lips. “Okay… he was my abductor, not the same as kidnapper.” I pointed out.

“Melinda!” She whined. “Por que siempre haces esto?!” She exclaimed. (Why do you always do this?)

“De que hablas, Linda?” (What are you talking about Linda?)

“Cada vez que un bato te hace mal tu siempre to perdonas y sigues como si nunca hubiera pasado.” Linda said in her tone I could tell she was exhausted. (Everytime a guy does something bad to you, you always forgive them and go on like nothing happened.)

“Devlin es difirente a Peter, Linda, el no me lastimo… okay, si lo hizo pero… no vas entender.” (Devlin is different from Peter he didn’t hurt me… okay he did… but you’ll never understand.)

“Es por el que tu y Nathan estan peliados!” Maya chimed in. (It’s his fault you and Nathan are fighting.)

“Eso y por muchas cosas mas, Maya.” I said. (That and because of other things.)

“Ahem.” Devlin spoke up. “I assure you that I am deeply sorry for what I did to Melinda. You must understand how I feel about her.”

“Melinda has Nathan! They’ve been through too much!” Linda said.

“I love Melinda, I truly do.” Devlin said.

“Devlin, don’t waste your breath on them. They’re Pro-Nathan okay? But that doesn’t mean I’m going to be with you.”

“I didn’t expect it. I’m here for fight for you. I’m here to fight for the girl I love.”

“You sure didn’t fight for Lucy.” Linda muttered.

I closed my eyes and sighed. That was a low blow.

“Linda,” I whined. “Come on, Devlin, we’ll talk outside.”

“No, Melinda, you can fix things with Nathan.”

“I think Nathan and I are over, Linda. He doesn’t look me in the eyes.”

“Fight for him. Fight for the love you have for each other.”

This was not a conversation to be taken in front of Devlin. It wasn’t fair for him.

“I’m tired of fighting, Linda. Some things are just not meant to be.”

“Bullshit and you know it!” Linda exclaimed.

I led Devlin outside the apartment building without another word to Linda and Maya. I wanted to cry.

“I’m sorry for causing all this fuss.”

“It’s all right, Devlin.”

“You really think things are over with Nathan?”

“After what happened yesterday? Yes.” I said not looking at him but straight ahead.

“You need rest Melinda.” He said worried. “You look exhausted.”

“I am, but… I have to go to work.” I said.

“They can wait a day or two. You need to—“

And like that I passed out.

[Nathan’s Point of View]

How could she do this to me? I love her! Yet she fell for the enemy!

She slept with my enemy!

It’s your own fault!

How is it my fault?!

You drove her away. You almost slept with Lucy!

But I stopped it before it got any further!

It’s not just that. You work too much.

That’s… what am I going to do?

Fight for her.

I don’t know if I have the strength.

You are not going to let some Irish guy take your girl, right?!

I don’t want to any guy to take her.

Then it’s settled, forgive her as she would forgive you.

Melinda and I have gone through so much that I just can’t let something like this get between us. I couldn’t lose her and I just can’t stay mad at her. I miss being with her. I miss her laugh, smile and her chocolate eyes.

I got my keys and drove to her apartment. I’m going to make this right.

I was nervous. What if she decided not to get back together?

I parked in front of her building and got inside. I went up the elevator.

DING!

I got off and went to her door and knocked twice.

No answer.

I knocked again.

“Mel—“

I was about to call her name when the door opened.

“Nathan.” Linda said surprised. I mean really surprised almost the kind where she thinks I shouldn’t be here.

“What is it?” I asked.

She stayed quite before saying. “What?”

“Linda, I was a professional criminal and you’re a bad liar.”

She struggled with her words.

“Um…”

“She wants more ice, Linda.” Maya said coming out with a cup. She looked at me and dropped the cup which broke into pieces. No one picked it up. “Nathan.” She squeaked.

“Something is going and you two are not telling me. What’s wrong with Melinda?!” I shouted. Was she hurt?

Linda pushes me outside of the apartment and closes the door behind her.

“Nathan… there is something I need to tell you.” Linda said. She had that tone girls had when they were going to break up with you. “Melinda is… okay… she passed out, but it’s because she had a long day, especially yesterday.”

“Can’t I see her?”

She narrowed her eyes like she was weighing her options. “Eh, I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” I asked at once.

“Well… it’s just…”

I didn’t want to listen to her excuses. I was too fast and I walked past her and into the apartment. Maya looked alert and tried to stop me but I dodged her and went straight to Melinda’s room.

I opened her door. I froze at the scene before me. Devlin was here. He was leaning forward giving Melinda a kiss on the lips. I came just as they made contact, but my bursting in stopped them.

“Nathan?” Melinda asked. “Nathan.” She confirmed.

“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” I roared. “How dare you come here?!”

“I can do whatever the fuck I want, Fullerton.” Devlin snarled standing up.

“Get the fuck out.” I said very slowly glaring at the man.

“No, I’m here for Melinda and there’s nothing you can do to stop me from getting her heart.”

“Oh yes there fucking bloody is, me!” I walked over to punch him to a bloody pit, but…

“STOP IT!” Melinda yelled. “THE BOTH OF YOU STOP IT! I’M NOT GOING TO LET NEITHER OF YOU BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS! BOTH OF YOU LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE! I WAS JUST WANT TO BE THE FUCK ALONE!!!”

Her words got to me.

“NO! You need to make a decision right now, Melinda.” I said. “It’s either me or Devlin.”

She looked at me with a very calm expression which worried me.

“I don’t want anything or anyone right now. Just leave, both of you. Please.” I could tell in her voice that she was truly exhausted.

“I’ll be back.” Devlin leans down and kisses her forehead and I growl.

“Nathan… please.” She pleaded.

It wasn’t fair. She wasn’t being fair. Here I was ready to forgive her and she rejects me.

“I’m not leaving. I’ll be waiting outside.”

“Devlin please step outside, I have to talk to Nathan.”