I've Got A Secret, Please Don't Repeat It

chapter eighteen'

Rebecca pulled away from Fernando, shocked at what she just heard. She looked up to see Fernando equally shocked and confused.

“I…I didn’t…uhm…” Fernando stumbled over his words, trying to find the right thing to say.

Rebecca put her hand up, silencing him.

“I really think it’s time we got back to the hotel, Nando.”

And with that Rebecca turned around, leaving Fernando where he stood.

Fernando stood there, shocked at what he said and how he felt about Rebecca. He snapped back to his sense when he realized how far away she was. Fernando sprinted to catch up to Rebecca, hoping to lighten the mood.

Rebecca was lost in her thoughts, until she felt a pair of arms find their way around her waist. She jumped at the touch of this anonymous person. She felt the person’s breath on her cheek, growing more and more fearful.

She heard the person chuckle, and then elbowed the person in the gut.

“Don’t you know better than to sneak up on a person, Fernando?” Rebecca whispered harshly as an elderly couple walked by.

“Oh, we’re back to Fernando now?”

Rebecca gave Fernando a cold stare.

“Cause I like it when you call me Nando,” Fernando said with a smile.

Rebecca then gave him a quizzical look, “This was the first time I’ve called you Nando.”

Fernando chuckled again, walking towards Rebecca.

“There was one night…that you called or rather…” Fernando whispered in Rebecca’s ear.

Rebecca felt the blood immediately rush to her cheeks.

“Thanks for giving me a detailed description,” Rebecca said, giving Fernando a sarcastic look.

“My pleasure,” Fernando replied with a smirk on his face.

Rebecca’s look turned from sarcastic to a very cold one, shooting it directly at Fernando.

“What?” Fernando asked confused, “What did I do…”

Fernando stopped when he saw what was coming their way.

The paparazzi.

Fernando and Rebecca exchanged hurried looks, trying to find the best way to avoid the paparazzi. Or rather, avoid any more pictures.

The pair sprinted out of the park, not stopping for one minute until they reached the hotel, breathing heavily.

“Where have you two been?” Luis boomed.

Fernando and Rebecca exchanged guilty looks.

“A walk.” Rebecca said, while Fernando said, “Food.”

They looked at each other and this time Rebecca, said “Food.” While Fernando said, “A walk.”

Luis shook his head in disagreement, “I want the honest answer, please.”

Rebecca stepped up, hoping Luis would be less harsh on her, “A certain pair of people we know decided to have a ‘discussion.’”

Luis thought hard, his best strikers were getting involved, and he didn’t want either of them getting hurt.

“Well now, that ‘discussion’ is over and done with. And we have a team practice to get to,” Luis replied with a smile.

Fernando and Rebecca scurried off to their rooms, grabbing their duffel bags quickly to catch the bus.

The next couple of days flew by, filled with team practices, interviews, tours of their host country. But the one thing that the team noticed the most was the tension between Fernando and Rebecca.

Sergio noticed the pair of them stealing glances at each other. He wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be happy or if he should assume the position of the overprotective best friend to spare two broken hearts.

Fernando and Rebecca made it a “ritual” to both stay up with each other the night before the match, because what’s the fun of having insomnia by yourself if there’s someone else to experience it with?

Fernando used this pry Rebecca of her secrets, while Rebecca used it to try and figure out a very cryptic boy. Neither of the two seemed to associate much outside of these nights. Both of them swore to never tell these dark secrets.

The team’s next match was crucial to win; it was against the World Cup Champions, Italy.

Rebecca couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw she wasn’t on the starting roster.

She stormed into Luis’ room, Rebecca was so mad she couldn’t form any words to express it.

Luis sensed her anger, and gingerly said, “Have a seat.”

Rebecca just stared at the man and then took a seat.

“I left you off the starting eleven for a reason.”

Rebecca nodded, silently telling Luis to continue.

“I need you for the later rounds.”

And this really set Rebecca off, “Later rounds? If we don’t win this game there will be no other rounds!”

It was Luis’ turn to sit down, giving the same gesture to Rebecca to continue.

“You constantly tell me that I’m one of the best players on the team and I proved that to you during the Greece match. What more do you expect from me?”

Luis sighed, “I don’t expect anything from you this is for your safety.”

“My SAFETY? I’m sick and tired of people constantly worrying about me, I’m a big girl now Luis, I can take care of myself.”

“Rebecca Maria, the Azzuri will not spare you. They will be ruthless with you and I don’t want them to hurt you. What happens if they look into your past and find out about your knee injury? I know what will happen, they will target that injury so much, that you may re-injure it.”

Rebecca sighed, “And if you’re wrong?”

Luis smiled at Rebecca, “How many times have I been wrong about football?”

It was Rebecca’s turn to smile, she gave Luis a hug, “You better be right, or I’m going to ignore you for even longer next time.”

Luis and Rebecca laughed together as they made their way to the bus, to embark on their next match.

Luis was right in keeping Rebecca off the field, the Azzuri were not as tough as they usually were, but it was still a good idea.

Spain’s chances came and went as the match went on; Rebecca was growing anxious as the teams lined up to take the penalty kicks.

Fernando sensed her uneasiness and took her hand in his, rubbing his thumb over her hand, hoping this small gesture would calm her down.

Cheers erupted throughout the stadium when Iker stopped the last penalty kick.

SPAIN HAD WON!

The celebrations continued in the locker rooms, where Rebecca was having the time of her life. Everything was finally in place, or so Rebecca thought.

Fernando was pulled out of the locker room; an “old friend” had come to congratulate him on his win.

Rebecca swore she heard the name “Olalla.” Just hearing the name evoked so many emotions in Rebecca; Jealousy, Guilt, Anger.

It had been almost ten minutes and Fernando hadn’t returned. Rebecca pushed her way to the door, only to run into Sergio. She smiled at him, giving him a hug, thinking that’s why he wasn’t moving. But he didn’t.

“Rammy! Will you please move!”

Sergio searched for a reason, “No…because…because you need to stay for the champagne.”

Rebecca glared at Sergio, knowing he was stalling. “We don’t get champagne till the final.”

A frown found its way onto Sergio’s face; he had to keep Rebecca in the locker room, she couldn’t see Fernando.

“I really think you should stay in the locker room.”

Rebecca was fed up with Sergio and pushed beside him, reaching for the door, “And why would that…”

But she stopped, as she saw the reason.

And reason’s name was Olalla.

Who currently was attached by the lips with none other than Fernando.
♠ ♠ ♠
"But I can't sleep when you're gone. When we are already getting used to gray. If inspiration grows out from this. When silence is the next best thing to bliss. And you say "what's another day?"
~ Maria Mena