Skinny Jeans Have No Place On These Thighs

Marina's Words

I turn and see, to my surprise, that my saviour is not Marcus, but Seb, Bridget’s brother and he’s looking really angry. I’ve never seen him look so red in the face before. I mean, I’ve seen Bridget get annoyed with him a hundred times but he never rises to it.

Only now he’s looking angry enough to hit something.

“What the hell is this?” he demands to know, pushing Marina back, still holding onto her wrist.

“Seb, it was a game, stay out of it,” replies Marina. She tries to free herself from his grip but Seb keeps a tight grip.

“What. Is. This?” he asks again, suddenly pulling Marina a little closer to him so she can’t get away.

“What do you care, Seb?” asks Marina, in a slightly breathy voice. “It’s just girls stuff. No concern to a big boy like you, hmm?”

“No, it actually does concern me when you’re picking on fifteen year old girls,” retorts Seb.

If I was Marina, and Seb was using that tone with me, I’d be a little bit afraid.

You can tell Marina is a little taken aback by the force Seb is using but she doesn’t seem frightened.

“So, it’s fine for old Marcus to pick them up but I can’t express my feelings?” Marina raises an eyebrow at him. “All boys together, right? Bro’s before ho’s.”

“Something to which you seldom adhere,” replied Seb. Marina’s comment seemed to have calmed him down a bit but then he let go of her wrist in such a way that she almost fell backwards onto the grass.

Marina regains her balance and glares at him with something that can only be described as . . . enraged. “Were you there at my house, too? That night, you know? When this little brat came round for her party?”

“You know what, Marina, I didn’t have that very great pleasure – ” you can definitely tell that Seb has lost it now. “But after everything that's happened, what did you expect? You thought everything could go back to the way it was? Wake up.”

“Next time you run away to the rain forest, Merry – ” Bubbles and Buttercup were walking away now, both looking completely exasperated. “Save yourself some time and money and just buy a one way ticket.”

“Ella, why don’t I drive you home?” Seb finally turns to me and begins to walk away, indicating that he has finished with the conversation.

“Hey!” Marina calls after us. Her shoes make it known she’s following us. “Wait! Seb! I’m sorry, please, wait!”

“I’m not the one you should be apologising to,” says Seb, stopping short so I nearly walk right into him. Seb turns back and jerks his thumb at me significantly.

Marina casts a dark look at me and then looks, almost pleadingly at Seb. “Don’t make me do that. Come on, Seb. She’s nothing,” for some reason, and I could be wrong, but it doesn’t sound like she’s being mean this time. She’s not got the same expression as before. In fact, she looks pretty upset.

This is thrilling! Marina has even started to rub her eyes a little.

“She’s just a . . . a pawn in Marcus’s game.”

“Game?” Seb’s eyes narrow then he smirks incredulously. “She’s not a pawn, she’s a person.”

“Look - ” God, now Marina actually looks like she’s going to burst into tears “ – I wasn’t the only one there you know? You can’t lay all this on me. It’s not fair, Seb.”

“Save us all some trouble and go back to South America, Marina,” replies Seb firmly. He then takes my arms and pulls me away.

I think Marina might follow us again but she doesn’t.