I Can't Control The Rhythm of My Beating Heart. I Choose Not Who I Love.

You Sink Even Deeper Into My Skin.

I felt my breath hitched violently in my throat as I turned to catch him looking straight at me. I caught him staring, making him snap his head into another direction, causing my cheeks to blush pink. I saw the fuchsia tint mesh into his cheeks as I smirked to myself. Suddenly I felt more comfortable, the air was finally breathable but my lungs didn’t quite respond; they were still in shock of the sudden. I moved closer to him and removed my hood to reveal my red, long locks; making them fall gracefully on my shoulders. I could see him checking for me until he found me once again. I moved to the snack table and poured myself a glass of wine. Tonight everything was going to change and I could feel it in the pit of my stomach.
I inched closer to him, feeling a heated connection reverberating through the air and into my blood. I heal my drink close and brought it up to my lips to take a small sip. I felt his eyes on me the whole time, causing an involuntary smile to rip across my face again. My eyes drifted to the gold records that decorated the white wall above the refreshments. I was suddenly entwined in my own thoughts; letting them soar through Ray.
“She’s really pretty. I don’t know why you don’t go up to her and ask her for her name. It won’t hurt,” a soft-illed voice said, breaking my train of thought. I felt my cheeks get hot again, the red color slowly creeping into them again. My hands automatically tightened around my glass; maybe it could stop my fast-beating heart.
“Nah, she’ll never want anything to do with me. Besides, you know very well there are reasons why I can’t.” My heart picked up speed; it was going so fast that it might just pop out of my chest and end up in my drink. “If you don’t fucking do it, I might as well will,” another voice said. After a bit of whispering and bickering, I saw someone getting up from the right side of my eyes. The blood gushed to my face, making it extremely hot. I tried to swallow the cotton-dry feeling in my mouth away. It was as if I wasn’t producing enough saliva because my brain was too busy worrying about…
“Excuse me,” said a velvet voice as a warm hand was placed on my arm. I gasped softly as I felt my heart palpitate. I turned around to be faced with his gorgeous eyes. “I was wondering what your name was. I saw you come in alone,” he said. His voice was not forced but something in it gave off the appearance of nervousness. I had to speak before he thought I was a mute.
“I’m Isabel Medpit,” I said softly, holding out my trembling hand in hopes of touching his smooth skin. From the corner of my eyes, I could feel the whole band staring at our every move. How grueling.
“What a beautiful name. I’m Ray Toro.” He took my hand into his. Surprisingly, his was trembling too. His hand was warm and firm. It was surely bigger than mine. He chuckled softly and let go, letting the electricity that flowed through our bodies to disconnect.
“So are you from around here?” he asked as we both walked over to the empty side of the room, except it wasn’t so empty with all the stares.
“No, I’m from Jersey. I’m a helicopter engineer over there.”
“Holy shit, what a coincidence; I’m from Jersey too,” he said, smiling. I smiled back, feeling the blood rush back into my cheeks. I was falling in a trance that only he could put me in and take me out of. My heart belonged to him and only him.
“You wanna get out of here? It seems like my friends are having fun staring,” he said, grinning into his words. I nodded and giggled as I looked over at the band; all their head snapped into a different direction. My hand became all sweaty just as Ray held out his hand to grab mine. Geez, thank you central nervous system.