Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Merry-Go-Round

Brian's POV

"Daddy, when's mama coming home," Mariemaia asked as we walked into the Atruskia.

Nikki had some business to take care of and was out of town for awhile. I was nervous that she was originally going alone due to her little incident last time but Hunter said that he would be going with her so that made me feel better. I didn't want her chasing dragons on me and Mariemaia.

"She's coming home before your birthday," I replied as I held onto her small hand.

She just nodded, distracted by the fact that her birthday was only two days away. I had just recently had my birthday, making me now twenty-four. Nikki was gone by then but she sent me a present: a set of keys and a note.

Hey Birthday Boy!

No, I'm still not letting you drive my Lambo but I am giving you'll like. Here are the keys to the Corvette; its now yours. Happy birthday again and I love you. Give Mari a hug for me, will you?

Loves.

Nikki


Yes, I now own that silver Corvette which I am really happy about. I really love it and it made me special knowing that Nikki loved me enough to give it to me.

"So what do you want for your birthday," I asked as we headed to get some lunch.

"Um, for you, mama, and me to be a family and a kitty," she replied.

"Maybe I'll get you that kitty," I smiled.

"Yay," she squealed, hugging my leg.

I bit my lower lip when she said the first thing. She knew that we weren't a "family" because after Jimmy's wedding, I'd be back in Huntington Beach while Nikki stayed here in Las Vegas and Mariemaia was caught in the middle. Her mother had a career and life built in Las Vegas so it would be stupid for her to throw it away. I didn't want to force her to do that.

But I will say that Mariemaia Julianne Haner is not the only one who wants us to be a family.

Mariemaia Haner......I like it.

"So what do you think," Liz, the manager of the new Pirate Bar asked.

"Yummy," Marie said after she took a sip of her virgin strawberry dacquiri.

We all met Liz shortly before Nikki left. We all liked her, especially Zacky. He looks at her with this dopey smile and everything.......he looks at her the way I look at Nikki. Jimmy, Johnny, Matt, Tash, Val, and I were all taking bets on how long it would take for him to ask her out. Speaking of the short shit, Johnny complains about all of us having someone or getting close to having someone aside from him. Tash and Val took it upon themselves to find him someone and they told Jimmy, Matt, and I who they Leane Taylor, the entertainment manager and manager of food and beverage. I met her and she's pretty cool so I could see Johnny with her.

"You want me to make those for your birthday party?"

"Yeah!"

"Alright, I'll make these drinks for your party," Liz replied, writing it down.

My parents shook their heads Liz gave Mariemaia another virgin dacquiri. Sure it was non-alcoholic but still, it was strange giving a three-year-old, almost four, that. I was about to say something when my cell phone went off. I grabbed it and saw that it was Nikki.

"Hey," I answered, flipping it open and pressing the talk button.

"Hey back," Nikki replied, "Sorry I missed your birthday."

"That's okay. Loved the present you gave me."

She laughed a bit, knowing that I would like the Corvette. Nikki was about to say something when Mari tugged on my pant leg, "Is it mama? I want to talk to mama! I want to talk to mama!"

"Here's Mari," I said, laughing.

"Mama? Mama," Mari squealed as she walked to the other table, just like Nikki.

I shook my head as I watched as my daughter told Nikki everything. I wondered how Mariemaia took it when her mother was gone. I knew that she had to leave a lot but how did my daughter take it?

"She usually stays with me," Tash said as if she knew what I was thinking, "But she misses Nikki a lot so she usually calls us to make her feel better."

"Yeah, there are few times when Nikki brings Mari with her but it depends on where she's going," Liz said, "I've seen her with Mari sometimes when she's in Woody Creek."

"But then again Hunter lives there and he is her surragate grandfather," I muttered.

"Daddy? Daddy? Daddy," I heard as my arm was being tugged.

I groaned as I woke up. My eyes looked at the red numbers displayed on the clock nearby. It was 11:28 PM and Mariemaia was up. She was clearly upset; tears ran down her face. "What's wrong, Mari," I asked, concerned.

"I had a bad dream," she sobbed, "Mama wasn't coming back and you were going to leave."

I wiped the tears from her face and asked, "You want to stay with me tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Then c'mon," I said, pulling the covers off.

She climbed in and curled up against me, clinging to my shirt. I rubbed her back and she calmed down; the occasional sniffling sound came. Mari was really scared of this dream coming true so I grabbed my cell phone.

"Do you want me to call mama," I asked.

Mariemaia nodded and I dialed Nikki's number. A few rings came and then her voice. "Why are you calling me at midnight?"

I forgot that she was an hour ahead. "Mariemaia had a bad dream and she was scared that you were never going to come back so I called you to tell her that you'll be back," I answered.

"Am I on speakerphone?"

"No."

"Put me on speakerphone, then."

I pressed the button and said, "Okay, you're on speakerphone."

"Mariemaia?"

"Mama," Mari asked, looking at my cell phone.

"Yeah, hi, sweat pea. Tell me what's wrong."

"I had this dream that you never came back and daddy left," Mari replied, sobbing.

"I'm coming back tomorrow and daddy won't leave you. He loves you too damn much."

I laughed as I nodded. It was true.

"Promise?"

"I promise," Nikki said, "Now you, Mariemaia Julianne Haner, need to go to sleep."

"Alright, mama."

"Brian, grab the remote on the table for the stereo and press play and play track four," Nikki ordered.

"Alright, okay. I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"That's correct. Night Brian."

We hung up and I grabbed the remote and did what Nikki told me to do. Motley Crue's Merry-Go-Round started playing. Mariemaia sighed as she curled up, falling asleep, and soon I was asleep as well.

Nikki's POV

"Why'd Brian call," Hunter asked as we got into my Escalade.

"Mariemaia had a bad dream."

"Its good that she has her father in the picture."

I glanced at Hunter as I backed out of the parking space. He wanted us to be a family, just like Mariemaia. He said that I needed happiness in my life and Brian was able to give it to me but I don't know. There are times where I honestly don't believe that I desearve it. My response was to turn on the stereo and listen to whatever was playing as we headed to our destination. Oddly enough it was Motley Crue's Merry-Go-Round.
♠ ♠ ♠
I personally think this was a so so part. But that's my opinion