Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

I'd Do Anything for a Smile

Nikki's POV

A sigh escaped as I pulled my hair into a bun, keeping it out of my face. Brian had left early this morning, leaving me a note on the pillow saying that he'd be back soon. After cleaning up after breakfast, I felt the desire to paint. I hadn't done a painting in awhile so now seemed like a good time to do one. Mari was going to be painting with me as well. It was what we liked to call "our bonding time".

"Mama, when is Daddy coming home," Mari asked as I squirted some paint into her little pallet.

"I don't know," I replied, "I really don't know."

Mari just nodded. She was not happy that Brian was gone as well because she just loved having her father around. To make her feel better, I tried to get her distracted as we painted. "So, what are you painting," I asked, ruffling her hair.

"A picture for Daddy," Mari replied.

I smiled as I started painting as well. She made paintings for me and I framed them all and kept them in my office. She made cute paintings and they really made me smile. My mom did that whenever I made something for her.

"What are you painting, Mama," Mari asked as she looked at my canvas.

I smiled as I glanced at the picture I had clipped on the top right corner. "You'll see when I'm done, Mariemaia, you'll see when I'm done."

She pouted but didn't press the issue. She knew that I didn't like telling what I was painting until I was done.

"Where are my girls," Brian called as he walked in through the front door.

Mari squealed as she ran towards him, calling for her daddy. I smiled as I grabbed a rag that I had on the counter, wiping the paint off my hands. She really loved having her father around and it made me happy seeing all of us together. I guess, secretly, I did want that after all.

"There's the love of my life," Brian said as he walked in, carrying Mari and a bouquet of roses.

"What's with the flowers," I asked, covering my painting and placing it in the study.

"So, this morning," Brian replied, "I went to Seaworld to buy tickets so that we didn't have to stand in line to buy them and I thought 'Maybe Nikki's mad at me for leaving without telling her why I left' so I went out and bought you some flowers. Are you mad?"

I rolled my eyes, "No. I'm not mad. How come you didn't tell me in your note?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist, "Are you mad?"

A sigh escaped as I looked at him, smiling. I placed my hand on the side of his face and said, "No, I'm not mad."

Brian smiled back at me and said, "I love that smile and I love you, Nikki."

"I love you too," I replied as he gave me one of his light, innocent kisses.

Brian's POV

"Daddy, the penguins wear tuxes," Mari pointed as we through to the penguin place.

I smiled at her comment. Nikki and I followed as she watched the penguins, our hands locked. Taking them to Seaworld was probably one of the best ideas I've ever had. Nikki hadn't been since she was twelve and Mari has never been. It was great because all Nikki really wanted to see was the penguins. She didn't really care about anything else aside from those damn penguins.

"So why did you want to see the penguins," I asked as we watched Mari press her face to the glass.

"Because when I'd come out here to visit Jimmy, my mom would take us and we'd watch the penguins," she replied.

I instantly pulled her closer to me, hugging her close. I knew how close she was to her mom; Hell, she was the world to Nikki and I also knew that Nikki wanted to be the same to Mariemaia. So far, she's done an amazing job.

"Mama, Daddy," Mari said, walking towards us, "I'm cold."

"I told you to bring a jacket," Nikki said, taking off her own jacket and putting it on our daughter, "I told you the penguin area would be cold."

I laughed as Mari pouted as Nikki rolled up the sleeves of her jacket so that Mari could use her hands. "You should of listened to your mommy," I replied, doing a small tug on one of Mari's braid.

She just laughed as she returned to watch the penguins. Nikki did her twitch thing I knew she was now cold. Nikki does this weird little twitch when she's cold. She doesn't shiver, she twitches. Its pretty funny to watch. I smiled as I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her close to me.

"Now look who's cold," I said, kissing her forehead.

She scowled at me as she just huffed. "Shut up."

I smiled as I looked at the picture I had just taken. There was Nikki, holding up Mari, as they fed a dolphin. My favorite smile was on Nikki's face and Mari was laughing. They didn't know I was taking a picture until after I took it.

"Oh god, Brian," Nikki yelled as she tried to grab my camera, "Let me see!"

"Fine," I said, showing it to her, "You look perfect."

She rolled her eyes and said, "I don't see it."

"Mama, you look pretty," Mari said.

Nikki didn't see it. She was wearing her dark blue jeans, a white Motley Crue tank-top, and her converse. She didn't see herself the way I saw her. The way her hair just swayed behind her slightly when I took the picture. The way her green eyes sparkled as Mari fed a dolphin. The way she smiled. That was my favorite part: her smile. I loved her smile, I really did. It let me know that she truly did love me. Nikki was absolutely perfect to me.

"Whatever you say," Nikki replied.

"Daddy, I'm hungry," Mari said as Nikki threw the container away.

"Well, let's get lunch then," I replied, picking her up, "Say bye to the dolphin now."

"Bye-bye dolphin," Mari waved.

Nikki smiled as she said, "Let's get some food."

"Are you serious," I asked as Nikki came back after she went and got her food.

I offered to get her food but she was adamant on getting her own and now I found out way. She came back with ten churros. Yes, ten.

"I like churros," Nikki replied, taking a bite out of one, "They're my-"

"Favorite food in the whole wide world," I finished, remembering what she'd use to say about churros.

"You remember," she asked, shocked.

"Of course I'd remember," I replied, "You stole the plate of them at your birthday party."

She laughed, remembering that as well. Mari looked at Nikki and asked, "Can I have one, Mama?"

"Of course you can have one," Nikki said, handing her one, "You can three if you want."

Mari just giggled as we continued eating. I just shook my head; I should have known that Nikki would go out and get herself a bunch of churros. It was obvious considering how much she loved them. I don't know why she loved churros but she just did and I went with it.

"Mama, that's a lot of churros," Mari said.

"I loves churros," Nikki replied.

"I love your smile," I replied, watching the two of them with my arm propped up on the table and my face resting on top of my knuckles.

Nikki's face instantly turned a hint of pink as Mari giggled again. I guess I embarrassed her but I really do love that smile of her's. "Mama turned pink," Mari said as she continued eating her nachos.

"Yeah, but Mama looks very pretty," I said.

Nikki didn't look up so I reached across the table, placing a finger under her chin and making her look at me. "I'd do anything for a smile, Nikki, because I love you," I whispered.

In return, she just smiled at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please click here and help me out.