Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Always On My Mind

Nikki’s POV

“Daddy,” Mari squealed as she tugged on his pant leg, “I need to go potty! Really badly!”

I was in my office while Brian and Mari were playing with the Gamecube I had hooked up to a TV. My dogs were laying nearby watching the doors just in case. Both Dartanian and Velkan were extremely protective of me and growled at everyone they didn’t know. Hell, they almost attacked Hunter but they learned that he was a father figure to me. It was pretty bad.

Anyway, Brian instantly freaked as he picked Mari up. He looked at me and asked, “Nikki, where’s the nearest bathroom?”

“Across the hall,” I pointed as I opened the door.

Instantly, he bolted, carrying Mari who kept saying that she had to go really badly. I laughed as I returned to sitting behind my desk and working on the paychecks for everyone. Payday was in a couple of days so I had to get this done. I was almost done with it; I just had Tash, Liz, and Leane to finish. Yup, I saved them for last. The only reason I did that was that before, Tash and Leane would come into my office and bug me for their checks so out of revenge, I saved their checks for last now that Liz has joined the crew. Yes, I am that mean.

Velken’s ears twitched forward and Dartanian stood up. They didn’t start barking so I knew it was someone they knew. I looked at the doors to see Jimmy entering. He looked lost and confused as he sat down on the chairs in front of my desk.

“What’s up,” I asked, glancing at him.

“Tash is pregnant,” he sighed.

“Um, I already know that,” I said, “And so is Val.”

“Am I going to be a good dad,” he asked as he looked at me, “Am I even fit to be a dad?”

I sighed as I walked over to the front of my desk and sat on it. It was funny because earlier today, Tash came in this morning wondering if she would make a good mom. I knew how she felt and I had an idea on how Jimmy felt from watching Brian.

“Jimmy, you’re going to be a good dad,” I explained, “It’s going to be hard at first but that’s what makes having a kid fun. You’re forced to just learn on the spot. Except this time, you have somebody else with you learning everything as well. Also, you have me and I raised Mari all by myself.”

He just looked at me and I could see the worry in his eyes. “Really,” he asked, “You’re going to help me.”

“Of course I will.”

That night, Brian and I were walking down the Las Vegas Strip with Mari and my dogs. After spending most of the day indoors, I wanted to make it up to them by just having some family time with them. Brian had his arm wrapped around my waist as we walked down the street. Mari was holding the leashes of my dogs.

It was one of my favorite things to do after work.

“So, Jimmy and Tash are worried that they won’t be good parents,” I told Brian as we passed the Mandalay Bay.

“Really? Jimmy came to me during lunch and talked with me about being a dad,” Brian admitted as Velkan sat down and scratched himself.

“What did he ask?”

“What it was like being with Mari and what I had to do to adjust to having a daughter.”

“And?”

“I told him that I couldn’t cuss as much as I wanted to, I don’t drink in front of Mari, and I don’t smoke in front of her,” Brian said, “I just have to be careful on what I say and do in front of her.”

I smiled when he said that. Indeed, he had to watch everything he did in front of Mari. Hell, I had to watch what I did in front of our daughter. Considering I had a temper and I start yelling profanities when I’m angry, it was hard. But it was good for the both of us.

“You know, I was worried that when Mari would meet you, you two wouldn’t ‘click’, you know,” I asked, finally admitting a fear that was laid to rest a long time ago, “I was scared that you wouldn’t accept her and she would hate you.”

“Really,” Brian asked, surprised as he looked at me, “What made you think that?”

“I ran away,” I said, bluntly, “I left you with only a note and a couple of my paintings.”

Brian sighed as he pulled me closer to him. I smiled as he placed a kiss on my forehead and whispered, “I love you too damn much to be mad and Mari means the world to me.”

Brian’s POV

I sighed as I woke up the next morning. Today was the day I was driving back to Huntington Beach due to the fact that we were in the studio working on some new stuff. Mariemaia was coming with me but not Nikki. She had work to be done and just couldn’t get out of it. Sure, I was happy that my daughter was going to be joining us but I wanted Nikki to be there as well.

Sucks, doesn’t it?

Nikki was still sleeping but this time, she had the pillow over her head. A smile formed as I pulled the covers over her bare shoulder to keep her warm as I went to the bathroom. I saw my boxers lying around on the floor but I had no desire to put them on. I was going to the bathroom and then back to bed.

When I was done, I crawled back into bed and saw that Nikki was wide awake and looking straight at me. Her tired green eyes just stared into my own eyes as she said, “I had a hard time sleeping last night.”

“I figured as much,” I muttered as I pulled her closer to me, “You had your pillow over your head when I woke up.”

She just snorted as she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her face in my chest. Nikki sighed a bit as I held her as close to me as I could, not happy that she was going to be in Vegas while Mari and I were leaving for Huntington Beach in a few hours. I’ll have my daughter while Nikki will have her dogs. Hell, Liz, Leane, and Tash were also in Huntington as well so she would be all by herself. I felt bad but Nikki insisted that she would be okay.

“Daddy, can I bring Snowball,” Mari asked, holding up her cat.

I smiled at her as she looked at me with her puppy dog face. She wanted to bring her cat with her so badly and I was all for letting her bring it.

“Of course you can,” I said, getting the cat carrier from the closet, “But did you pack all your clothes?”

She nodded, excitedly, as she said, “Yup! Mama helped me do that, Daddy!”

I laughed as I asked, “Did Mama do all the packing for you?”

Mari pouted as she nodded sadly. I knew she wouldn’t do all the packing as did Nikki. Hell, we both expected one of us to help her pack because in Mari-Land, packing meant getting all the stuff animals she could get and put them in her bags. It was like last time but we both learned so Nikki packed all her clothes as before she made lunch.

Yeah, Nikki decided to take the first half of the day off because we were leaving at noon. I was going to be driving the Corvette, which made me feel a bit happy because in some weird way, I felt like she was there when I was driving it. Maybe it’s because she previously owned it and drove it a lot within the two months of owning it.

Yes, Nikki owned the Corvette for two months before she handed the keys to me for my birthday and said it was mine. Then again, shortly before that, she bought herself a Lamborghini Murciélago. She really is strange when she does car shopping.

I sighed as I watched Nikki walk down the stairs, carrying Mari’s bags and placing them in the trunk of the Corvette. The dogs were outside, following her, while Mari went to get some of her stuff for her cat. I walked outside to place my bags in the trunk as well.

Nikki smiled at me as I placed the bags next to our daughter’s. I looked at her and just instantly hugged, pulling her close to me. Of course, I’ll miss her and I didn’t want to go without her but I had to. The band needed me and luckily, Nikki understood.

“I don’t want to go,” I admitted, kissing her forehead.

“I know,” Nikki replied, “But hey, this is what I get for dating a guy in a band.”

I laughed as Mari came running out, holding Snowball, and getting into the passenger side, where I had the car seat for her ready. Nikki looked at her and sternly said, “Don’t forget to buckle.”

“Okay, Mama,” Mari said.

Nikki smiled as I placed my lips on her’s, kissing her. I loved it when her fingers got tangled in my hair, which they did, so in response, I placed my hands on her hips, getting her as close to me as I could. I absolutely loved Nikki and there was no way I would ever want her out of my life. I love her too damn much. She and Mariemaia mean the world to me and I wouldn’t want anything to happen to them.

“You got to go,” Nikki whispered as she pulled away, “Its four hours to Huntington Beach from Vegas.”

I pouted but knew that she was right. I wanted to get to Huntington before nightfall and I had to leave now. As much as I didn’t want to let go of Nikki, I let her go. She placed a hand on the side of my face and said, “Drive safe.”

“I will,” I replied, “Love you.”

“Love you too.”

With that, I got into the driver’s side and turned the ignition. Mari was already buckled up and ready to go. After adjusting the rear view mirror, I drove out of Nikki’s property. My eyes were glued onto the mirror, watching as she just stood there, waving.

Damn, I’m going to miss her.

Mari looked at me and asked, “Are you sad, Daddy?”

“Yeah, I’m just going to miss your mommy but we’ll see her soon,” I answered.

Mari just nodded as we drove out of the city limits of Las Vegas. I turned on the radio so that there was some music playing. Mari just smiled as some Motley Crue started playing. I guess Nikki had raised her listening to Motley Crue. Oh well, at least it wasn’t some of those strange things that parents listen to when they have a kid.

God, she’s always on my mind not matter what
♠ ♠ ♠
Shocker, I updated.

*Laughs*

Anyway, check out the journals, please.

I'd also like to announce that this story is two away from getting more comments than its predecessor, Running Wild in the Night. Amazing!