Seem to Stop My Breath

Everyone's A Letdown

Everyone’s a letdown
Cassie's Point Of View

I woke up unusually cold. I didn’t want to open my eyes. When I was at the House, I always felt warm and safe, at the apartment I was far from it. For some reason my mouth tasted like pennies. I rolled over and slowly opened my eyes. I was not in my apartment. I sat straight up and looked around. I was under an unfamiliar blanket, on what appeared to be a futon in the middle of a dingy room. Two men sat at a table across the room from me. I jerked my leg and heard an odd clanking noise. I looked to where my feet were and saw a long thin cord trailing out from under the coarse blanket to the wall. I threw back the blanket to reveal a small coated wire anklet above my right ankle. A lock connected it to another coated plastic wire that led to some corner of the room that I couldn’t see. I still had socks on, and the anklet wasn’t tight enough to cut of my circulation, but it was still an odd situation.
“Ah, sleeping beauty is awake. Go tell Julian”
I froze, first at the voice, then the “go tell.” why would it matter if I was up or not, I had no reason to be here, moreover chained to a wall, I hadn’t done anything. I turned my head to look at the people who were talking. I glared at the man sitting down. I sat up straight and my hair covered one eye.
“What am I doing here chained up?”
I managed to say in my most authoritative voice.
“Why does it matter” the man responded sharply. I glared for a second longer, but was soon distracted by the only door in the dark and dingy room opening. A tall man with a cape appeared
“So soon to be vampire princess, “he sneered at princess “I take it you think your prince is going to come galloping up on a white, or in his case, black steed, and save you?”
“He would”
“You are delusional. You think he’s a knight in shining armor, but he isn’t. Why? He can’t save you now, even if he does find that book, you’re as good as dead.”
“What?”
“You see, the thing about taking a prisoner, is you can demand ransom, and still kill the person, as long as you get the money first.”
He saw the fear in my eyes. I did not want to die. Gerard had to do something right? He couldn’t just leave me, besides, if the ransom was money, he had that. Just in case though, I had to find someway out of here.
“Sweet dreams, you should enjoy them, they’ll be some of your last.”
The tall man spun on his black heeled boot and left the room. I watched him walk out then felt unusually cold. Suddenly I had an idea.
“I have to go to the bathroom.”
One of my guards sighed and walked over to me. He walked to a dark wood paneled wall and pushed slightly. The panel slid back revealing a bathroom.
“Hurry up” he said gruffly.
Still attached to the other wall by my ankle, I went into the bathroom, even though I didn‘t have to go. It was windowless and actually lit by one candle burning in the corner. There was a lock on the door, so I could lock them out, but in the bathroom was worse than the dark room with the creepy guys. I flushed the toilet, just in case they were listening to me in the bathroom. I washed my hands in the sink and as quietly as I could, opened one of the bathroom drawers. Nothing. I was going to have to find my own way out of here.