Status: I'm baaack...

The Chronicles of City Lights and Modern Love

Vol.4

"What did you say?" I asked acidly, having finally recovered from my mineral water induced coughing fit.

"I said that it must run in the family," he said more clearly this time.

"What do you mean by that? You don’t know my family," I replied, my muscles suddenly tense, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

"See now, that’s where you’re wrong," he said holding my gaze in his own. "Are you sure you don’t want a drink?"

"Who the hell are you?" I asked, unnerved.

"I’m Carmine."

"You didn’t answer my question," I pressed.

"Oh," he said, as if he’d only just understood, "ok, well I’m Carmine and I’ve been sent by your Nonno."

A chill ran down my spine as I realised how much danger I was in. I had to get out of there. I stood up to leave but he grabbed my wrist under the bar.

"I don’t think you want to do that?" he said fiercely.

"Let go of me now," I hissed venomously.

"Ok, let me make this clear. I have been contracted by your Nonno to bring you in, whether you want to or not. Now, we can do this the easy way; we walk out of here and pretend like nothing is wrong, or we can do this the hard way; I pull out my .45 and start shooting up the place, starting with your bartender friend."

"You wouldn’t," I told him.

"Oh, I would. You’ve obviously underestimated me Bella," he replied. "Now stand up and walk out of here with me now."

A few people were looking at us curiously.

"Fine," I relented, causing him to smirk. I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face and the typical Italian-influenced New York accent that I’d previously found kind of cute, now made my blood boil. This guy did not know me and he certainly did not know what he was getting himself into. I was more cunning than I looked, but he should have known that I’d be a handful – I am related to Neil Evangelo after all.

"Let’s just make sure no one around here is catching on though" I said slowly, in a tone that I can only imagine came across as very suspicious. Then, loudly enough for the elderly couple near by to hear, I said, "No, Carmine! I will not sleep with you!"

The prospect that Carmine would recognise the Billy Madison reference made it all the more amusing, however, I contained my amusement as Carmine looked like he’d been smacked in the face and the elderly couple sipping there expensive Champagne exchanged disgusted looks.
Carmine noticed the couple’s repulsed expressions and attempted to redeem himself.

"Alessandra, can we just talk? I didn’t mean it like that," he smirked triumphantly, under the impression that I would come up with nothing more to embarrass him...he was wrong.

"So when you asked me if I wanted to have your babies, you were making harmless small-talk?" I asked, my enjoyment growing with his humiliation.

"I’m sorry, that was out of line," he said through gritted teeth. "Can we just go somewhere quiet to talk?"

"Fine, but you have a lot of explaining to do."
♠ ♠ ♠
If you like it, tell me!