I Would Follow You Anywhere

The End

I used my pass to get inside the venue, but I didn’t go backstage just yet.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to.

This way, if I wanted to sneak out before it was over, I could without anyone noticing.

I waited distractedly through the opening bands and then they finally came on.

I recognized William’s skinny frame on the stage first, closely followed by Michael, Butcher, Mike, and then finally Sisky.

I debated leaving right then, but William started talking into the microphone.

“How’s everybody doing tonight?” he asked. Cheering from the crowd. He laughed. “That’s great. But one of us up here isn’t doing so good. My friend Sisky here has a problem. So what do you say we help him out?” He paused as the crowd agreed with him. I crossed my arms and waited wordlessly. “See, Sisky hurt someone a long time ago, but he doesn’t know how to make it up to her, and he’s very sorry. He’d say this himself, but he’s too shy.” I never remembered him as the shy type, but he was up there, staring at the floor as the audience went ‘Awww.’ “So, Lily, if you’re out there, this one’s for you.”

They went into a cover of The Smashing Pumpkin’s Mayonnaise, which used to be my favorite song.

************************************

Sisky’s POV

I walked back to the dressing room after the shoe a little glumly. The guys glanced at me and then each other, not knowing how to comfort me.

I flopped down onto a couch.

“It’s alright guys,” I told them, so they wouldn’t feel the need to try to make me feel better. They were silent.

“Sis-Adam?” I whipped my head around to see Lily standing in the doorway. “Can we talk?” she asked nervously, glancing around at the guys.

“Yeah,” I said, standing up to follow her out the door.

*************************************
Lily’s POV

I led the way from the dressing room and through the venue, where everyone was starting to pack up various sets of equipment.

I found an empty staircase near the back and sat down. He sat next to me.

We sat silently for a long time.

“You came,” he said finally.

“Yeah,” I answered. “You guys are really good,” I added, hoping I didn’t sound too lame. He just shrugged. We went silent again. I sighed.

“You really hurt me when you left, Adam,” I said, purposely not using his nickname. “Don’t you understand I don’t like to see you because it hurts too much? I spent all that time trying to forget you and telling myself I didn’t need you, and you just randomly show up on my doorstep one day.”

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. I sighed again, not knowing where to go from here. We were silent for a while.

“Remember when I threw a baseball at that beehive just because Jason dared me to?” he asked unexpectedly. The corners of my mouth twitched involuntarily at a smile, even though I was trying my hardest to stay serious right now.

“Yeah.”

“I was pretty stupid back then, wasn’t I?” I nodded grudgingly. “Leaving without saying goodbye was probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.” I studied my shoes.

“I went back to look for you, you know,” he said suddenly. “But you moved away, too,” he added, giving a short humorless laugh. “I thought I’d never see you again.”

I felt him staring at me, waiting for my reaction, but I didn’t look at him just yet.

“So I guess what I’m trying to say is, do you forgive me?” I looked at him. The look he was giving me was heartbreaking.

“I missed you so much,” I said, throwing my arms around his neck in a hug.

“I missed you, too,” he replied, hugging me back.

I felt my grudge finally melting away as we walked back to the dressing room with matching smiles on our faces.