Status: Completed

A Cashier and a Movie Star...Can They Really Fall in Love?

Chapter 38 Depressed

I felt like I couldn’t breathe, but then again, I was hyperventilating. My whole body shook, and I looked into Tom’s eyes. “Yes… I’ll marry you!”

Tom picked me up, and spun me around, hooting and hollering for joy. I laughed, and kissed him passionately. “So the whole thing with your mother was a test?” I asked as he set me down gently. “You wanted to see if I would marry you right?”

“Yup,” said Tom as he lay in the flowers next to me. “She helped me set most of it up. And the ring she ‘bought’ you was the ring I picked out and asked her to pick it up for me…”

“You dirty little sneak!” I exclaimed as I tackled him. “You made me think your mother was a nutcase!”

“Well, it worked, I got what I wanted,” said Tom with a smile. “I got you… forever.”

“Mmm, forever is a very long time,” I said as I laid my head on his chest. “What if you lose your love for me? I mean, we are a Hollywood couple now. And people get divorces all the time. What makes you think this one will be forever?”

“Because,” said Tom as he stroked my hair. “If I couldn’t forget about you across the Atlantic Ocean, succeeded in freeing you from a convent, and brought you to live with me, I surely think our marriage will last forever. My love for you has only been fueled, and that fire will never go out…”

It was getting late, so Tom handed me his clothes, and told me to get on his back, and close my eyes. I did as he wanted, and we were off. I sat in the car waiting for Tom to finish getting changed in the bushes, looking at my engagement ring. It was beautiful, and then, something hit me. WEDDING PLANS!

I didn’t know where to start, and I had a very strong feeling that by agreeing to marry Tom was a disaster in the making. For one, I HAD TO invite Dan and Mary. Mary would be one of my bridesmaids, and Dan was her boyfriend, so she was going to bring him along whether he was invited or not. I’d also have to invite the Harry Potter cast, and Alfonso Curan! And that’s only a small part! I’d have to invite my old American friends over, and family, and his family, and his other friends! Life was coming at me fast.

“What’s wrong love?” asked Tom as he got in the car. “Not upset that you are marrying a wolf man are you?”

“No, it’s not that,” I said quietly. “The guest list is going to be huge! I mean, my family isn’t that big, but we have to invite the Harry Potter cast, plus all of our friends, and your family-”

“Hold up, you aren’t saying we invite… the vampire?” spat Tom as he started to drive down the road. “If that’s the case, I forbid it.”

“Well, although you forbid it, he is going to come invited or not,” I said as a matter of factly. “He’s Mary’s boyfriend, and she is in the wedding, so he is definitely going to come. And there is no way in hell I am kicking Mary out of the wedding or not inviting her. She’s my friend!”

“We’ll deal with it later,” said Tom as he sighed and looked over at me for a split second. “I don’t want to talk about them…”

As we pulled up to the house, I waited for Mrs. Felton to come bursting through the door. Five, four, three… two… one.

“So! Did you two get engaged!” said a beaming Mrs. Felton as she hurried from the house over to the car. I showed her the rock on my finger, and she squealed with delight. “OH MY GOD! NOW YOU WILL BE PART OF THE FAMILY! MY DREAM HAS AT LAST COME TRUE!!!!”

I gave her a hug as soon as I got out of the car, and smiled back at her. “Mrs. Felton, I thought I was part of the family already!”

“Oh dearie, you always were, but now this is finalizing it!” cried Mrs. Felton. “Oh my goodness! I got to call all of my friends! I’m just so happy!”

“I’m glad we made you happy mum,” said Tom with a smile. He snaked his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. “Now, if you let us, we are going to go upstairs and start planning when we will have our wedding…”

We walked upstairs to Tom’s room, and he shut the door. I sat down on the edge of his bed, contemplating what we should do. “How about since we will be busy with filming, we wait two years to get married?” I asked. “Filming and all the stress will be finished with, and we won’t have anything to really worry about. I mean, we got to film the movie, do promotions, interviews, TV spots, guest appearances, etc. We can’t possibly plan a wedding now!”

“True, you are right Joanne,” said Tom as he sat next to me. “We are going to have to keep it a secret though so the paparazzi won’t know about it. They might write stuff about us, or worse, show up to the dang wedding…”

“I have no problem with that,” I said, entwining my hand with his. “But I think your mother is spreading the word about London that we are getting married. So, cat’s outta the bag?”

“Ah, it’s just people talking,” said Tom. “It’ll never make headlines. Besides, they’ve got no valuable proof. I could say I bought you this ring as a token of my love for you, and not as an engagement.”

“I highly doubt that,” I said as I admired my ring. “Come on babe, I’ve had enough talk of future weddings and crap. Let’s go to bed…”
* * *
I enjoyed working on the Harry Potter set, but sadly, I wasn’t needed as much as Tom was on set. I stayed home, most of the time I drove to our forest, trying to find the field of flowers and the waterfall but I never could.

Tom was working more and more, and I was lucky if I could show up at work once a month! I tried to be happy, but I just couldn’t fool myself. Mrs. Felton knew it, and she tried her best to cheer me up. Nothing worked. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. Why wasn’t I happy? I was engaged to the most handsome, kind, wealthy guy. But I guess shit changes when the men start working later and later, and you wake up to see them magically sleeping beside you, as if they were there the whole time.

Months passed, and I got more and more depressed. Tom and I hadn’t had private time, or even any intimacy in a long time. Work wore him out, and I was never in the mood to make love. I was surprised that Tom and I still hadn’t made tabloid news yet with our engagement, but then again, I liked it better that they didn’t know.

One day, I decided that I would go looking for my field of flowers, not caring whether it took me a year to get there. I was going to find it. I took Tom’s car down to where he had stopped, parked it, and started to walk through the forest.

It was quiet as I entered, and I walked along the path, not knowing where to go. Deeper and deeper I plunged into the forest, hoping to find it. Just as I made a right at the fork in the path, I heard a strange noise. It sounded like a roar of a lion, but it couldn’t possibly be a lion. The sound was getting louder and closer, and I broke into a run. I looked behind me, and I realized my nightmare had finally come true.