My Saving Grace

New Challenges and Attitudes

The oh-so interesting lunch that I was about to leave from continued to grow stranger and stranger. First, Oli and Tom leave, and then Matt and Brian didn’t show up at all...I’m not sure about Brian, but I bet Matt is probably plotting more ways to destroy my life.

I left some dollar bills on the table to help pay for the tip and turned to leave, but someone grabbed my arm. I looked over my shoulder, shocked to see Val standing there, looking somewhat upset. “Can I talk to you” she whispered. I nodded, urging her to continue. “Hun, we really miss you back on the bus. Matt is really sorry for what he said…”

I sighed to myself. I should have expected this sooner or later. “I’m sorry Val. I’m just not ready to return yet. This is the perfect opportunity to know Oli better…and I can make new friends.”

She looked somewhat disappointed. “Just don’t forget about your original friends,” she said with an evident edge in her voice.

For a brief moment, I felt a sting of regret…maybe I should give Matt a second chance? Blood is thicker than water…well, until the blood becomes poisoned and thinned. I think I’ll take the water.

On my journey back to Oli’s bus, I bumped into the asshole himself. What would he be doing in the middle of the parking lot anyway? “Skylar! I’m so glad I ran into you. I –.”

“Why so you could give me another damn lecture?!” I rudely interrupted.

I expected him to shout back but he did no such thing. In fact, he looked puzzled. “Uh, no that’s not what I was going to say…actually I was going to tell you that I approve of Oli. I um ‘talked’ to him earlier and it turns out he’s a pretty good guy.”

Never has Matt honestly ever “approved” of my boyfriends. Needless to say, I was shocked. I felt a smile tug at my lips as I practically jumped on top of him, giving him a huge hug. “This is so fucking sweet, Matt! This makes up for everything that happened last night…”

“Does this mean that you’ll come back to the bus?” he asked, hopefully.

“Uh I don’t think I’m ready for that. You know how much I need variety. But I’ll consider it, alright?” That seemed good enough for him. He smiled once again and left to return to the A7X bus.

*Brian’s POV*

Oli’s words continued to replay over and over again in my head. What was he up to – was he planning to hurt Skylar or something? If he even thinks about doing that, I swear I will kill him. I could just be completely over thinking everything due to my feelings for her. Should I even bother telling her? No – she’ll realize that I was simply eavesdropping and will only hate me more. I suppose that all I can do at this point is to keep a close eye on Oli.

“Brian, are you feeling alright? You look a little pale…” Skylar said suddenly, removing me from my contemplative thoughts.

“Uh, yeah of course I’m fine, just a little cold I guess,” I laughed, trying my best to assure her that I was ok, despite the falseness behind that statement.

“Ugh, yeah…stupid Northern weather,” she laughed, “Well actually I do have something to tell you.” What could she possibly have to say? “I wanted to say that you. I know that you covered for me that night I sneaked out. It kinda made me realize how lucky I am to have a friend like you…” she smiled.

Too bad a friend is all I can be. I smiled, a little bit, and gave her a hug. “No problem. I just didn’t want to see you get in trouble so early on the tour.”

She nodded and smiled yet again and I couldn’t help but feel depressed that she doesn’t like me. Wait, what the hell is this?! I never give up on anything or anyone – and Skylar isn’t going to be an exception. I bet that nothing has happened between us because she probably thinks I have no interest. All I have to do is step up my game a bit, challenged Oli, and win Skylar over…which shouldn’t be too hard considering I am the better and hotter choice after all.

With this sudden change of mindset, I nearly forgot what I had just heard from Oli in the first place. Well I guess it doesn’t matter – since I’ll be dating her before then.

*Normal PO V*

As I walked onto the bus, my ears were met with the sounds of guns shooting and people shouting. Looks like the boys were playing Call of Duty yet again. I mean, the game is great and all but killing people can only entertain me for so long. I sat down on the couch next to Oli, trying to get his attention and somehow failing.

I gasped, “Oli, you’re choosing a stupid video game over me?!”

He put the game on pause and smiled over at me. “Baby, you know that no video game can compare to you.” He quickly grabbed onto me and pulled me off the couch’s armrest and onto his lap.

“Damn straight. Unless, of course, the game was all about me.”

We shared a laugh, and then I paused and noticed just how close we really were to each other. “That’s the kind of game…I’d like to…play all day,” he said slowly staring directly into my eyes.

The all too familiar motion of our eyes closing and heads tilting in opposing sides occurred. Our lips barely touched at first. I didn’t want to wait, so I decided to encourage this a bit more. I pushed my lips further onto his and I felt him smirk as he followed suit – except, he took it a step further and pushed his tongue inside my mouth and instantly met up with my own.

His hands slowly moved up and down my sides sending warm waves of friction through me, relinquishing me from the chilly air at last. Minutes later, my heart was beating and my breath was ragged. He knew what he was doing, and needless to say I knew I made a good choice.

“So…you like it rough, huh?” he asked with a laugh, sounding anything but serious. I shared his laugh yet again and decided to play along.

“Oh, well of course. I gotta have my violence!” I joked.

“I can supply you with plenty of that,” he quickly and confidently responded.

Joking around is always so fun…oh wait, except I didn’t know he was 101% serious! We reclined back on the couch and he covered us up with a blanket. Our arms were wrapped around each other, and I must admit it was quite nice and cozy. “I’d say today has been a pretty good day so far…we got some Cracker Barrel, I’m on good terms with Matt, and Matt approves of you know. I mean after that conversation you guys had earlier –.”

“What conversation? I haven’t seen your brother all day today…”

I felt my back stiffen. “Are you sure? I mean…he totally ran into me a second ago and he was so…happy. You had to of said something to him.”

He laughed somewhat sarcastically. “Um, Skylar, I’m pretty sure I’d know whether or not I talked to Matt today. And just to let you know…I didn’t.”

I pulled away from his embrace hastily and turned around to glare at him. “Are you calling my brother a liar?!” I asked incredulously.

“No,” he quickly said, “I’m calling him a damn creeper! I mean, I’ve been on this bus for the past 30 minutes just talking to Tom. I will admit that Matt came up in the conversation but I didn’t talk face to face with him.”

Realization hit me hard and fast, practically shaking my body in the aftermath. “I knew it,” I whispered venomously, “I knew that Matt was up to something on your bus! Damn, no wonder he was randomly in the middle of the parking lot when I ran into him.”

Why does Matt always do this?! He does something stupid, then makes up for it, and messes up all again, repeating the vicious cycle. The only clear, logical solution is to be forever pissed at Matt. And what better way to do that then by giving him a nice little phone call now?

I moved to get up off the couch, but Oli gripped onto my arm, fairly roughly if I do say so myself. “What are you doing?” I asked, trying to break out of his grip.

“Why did you have to go and ruin a good moment?” he shouted back, glaring at me.

That was somewhat alarming to say the least. Having severe mood changes like that is totally normal…right?
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh Oli's true colors are starting to shine through. what will brian do to catch skylar's attention? will matt and his sister get in another fight? find out in the next chapter

3-5 comments for an update!