When I Go Out I Want To Go Out On A Chariot Of Fire

Chapter Thirty – Bullets with Butterfly wings

Pete Stood just as I had expected on that street corner his face shrouded in the darkness that was beginning to set around the city. He saw me approaching and pulled a weak smile that was barely whole.
“So your leaving then? I was expecting it some time, I destroyed you the guys said I would,” he muttered slowly gazing away from my eyes I felt tears well but sucked them back down.

“Please don’t go,” he begged, I didn’t move a muscle or divert my gaze from the dirty concert floor for the fears I may cry, his voice was weak as he begged.
“Peter… Pete,” I whispered “please doesn’t do this its supposed to be goodbye." My throat was dry and hardly let the words form.

I held his hand briefly as a bit of reassurance as he let tears spill slowly down his face. I couldn’t turn back could I? couldn’t go back to the apartment and have everything back as it was.

No… I couldn’t live with myself if I did.

He pulled up his red hood on his hoody before sinking into the shadow hiding from the group of kids that passed by.
“They aren’t teenies you know,” I said looking at him for the first time he shrugged. I kicked a pebble it flew out onto the road glancing up at the night sky.
“Do you remember when we met,” he laughed, of course I did
“Yeah,” a small smile crept across my lips.
“You were a spaz,” he laughed, I shot evils at him and he just laughed harder smiling
“Fuck you Pete.” his laughter dried up as our smiles faded.

“At least there were some good times hang on to them for me please.” He nodded looking away from me. Silence hangs around us for a moment as we stood on that Chicago street corner,
“I’m sorry,” he whispered. Tears brimmed in my eyes as he said it, I looked back down at the floor.
“Its okay.” His lips moved to say it again I sniffed “seriously its fine, forget about it. Forget about me… please” my voice was barely above a whisper as I struggled to form words.

I turned to walk away but hesitated
“Can I at least get a hug before you disappear from the living?” he muttered. I stepped up and he held me tight, and once again I felt safe, but it doesn’t matter how safe I feel in his arms I had to go.

I turned to walk away once again, “Chris, Chris please Stacey.” He shouted my name at me but I had to fight off the need to turn and run back to him. Tears brew in my eyes and feel down my face taking most my eyeliner with them. I couldn’t hesitate again, each step I took away made it harder.
“Please don’t go, I need you.” I heard him say behind me.

“I need you to,” my lips moved to form words yet no voice left my lips, they would be caught in my throat for an eternity.

“Just drive.” I sobbed as I quickly slammed the door ‘just I don’t go back to him’ was the rest of the sentence but those words would be forever in Chicago with him.