Draco Malfoy's Dirty Little Secret

Time to Stop Hiding

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

The news of our engagement spread faster than wildfire. It was all anyone could talk about for the rest of the day. Every where I went, whispers about my private life erupted in my wake. I felt like a celebrity. Then again, at Hogwarts, I sort of was.

In contrast to the general public, all Draco could talk about for the rest of the day was his unfair treatment and my detention.

"Why does he even care?" Draco yelled, violently throwing a roll across the Great Hall. It hit Colin Creevey in the back of the head, leaving dandruff like crumbs in his hair.

"It's not like it's any of his business, anyway. What does he care who I chose to make my wife? Bloody idiot," he raged on and on.

He didn't stop ranting about Snape until I had to leave for my detention at six o'clock.

"Draco," I cautioned, "Try not to kill anyone while I'm gone."

"Yeah, yeah. I know," he groaned.

"I'll be back at nine, okay?"

"You know," he began, wrapping his arm around me and kissing my neck lightly. "You could just skip your detention and spend it with me instead."

I reluctantly pushed him away.

"Tempting. But I don't want to give old Severus a heart attack. It won't be that bad, he wuvs me," I giggled.

"Right, because you always punish people you care for. Sure," Draco said bitterly.

"I'm leaving now. Be good," I warned.

"No promises," he replied, giving me that devilish smirk of his. Then, with one last kiss, Draco sent me to face my horrid detention with Snape.

---

There was only one desk in the Potions room. I found this rather peculiar. However, I got the hint and sat down in it. Professor Snape came out a few moments later. He didn't speak at first. He just leaned against his desk and stared at me as if he was in deep thought.

"The sooner you decide to cooperate, the sooner I let you go, Evelyn," he began, sounding like a prosecuter investigating an accused criminal.

"Severus, why am I even here?"

He smirked at me, as if the answer were written on the blackboard behind him.

"You're being very self destructive. The Dark Lord is a skilled Legimens you know. He knows already of your engagement to Draco, simply by reading Lucius' thoughts. I don't think I need to say that he is not particularly pleased."

I rolled my eyes.

"Luckily for you," Snape continued, "I convinced him to allow me to speak to you this evening. I assumed that you would rather get a lecture from me, than torture from him."
I gulped and nodded, repressing the memories of Christmas holiday and the accompanying shudder.

"So why exactly am I not allowed to be with Draco? I'm having the Dark Lord's child. Isn't that enough?" I asked.

Snape shook his head and pursed his lips.

"The Dark Lord can not afford to have Draco distracted from his mission. The death of Albus Dumbledore is most crucial to the war," he pointedly reminded me.

"Draco's doing just fine. I'm not distracting him, if anything aren't I helping him? Giving him motivation to complete his mission? You know, keep me alive and stuff?"

"You make an excellent point, Evelyn. However, you and I both know that the Dark Lord is narrow minded and not very merciful."

I nodded. I did know that. Of course I did. However, there is an exception to every rule.

"But Severus, he gave my mother mercy," I whispered.

Snape looked rather shocked that I knew the truth, but replied without any hesitation.

"Yes, he did. But you, my dear, are not your mother."

"But I'm so much like her," I elaborated, "I'm in love with someone I shouldn't be in love with. I'm pregnant at such a young age. I'm, as you said, self destructive. I'm on the path to living her life."

"Is that what you want?" Snape asked me softly, "To live in secrecy, in fear? To be outlawed from the Pureblood community? To have someone else raise your son?"

I shook my head, letting a few tears escape. It was time to stop denying the truth. I knew he was right, despite my desire for things to be different. Staying with Draco would just result in more heart ache for him, and for myself.

"Then do what your mother could not, Evelyn. Let your love go and take your rightful place in Pureblood society," Snape encouraged, practically begging me to be rational.

I laid my head on the desk and sobbed. My shoulders were trembling and I could hardly breath. Severus was right. I had to choose between being with Draco and raising my son. It wasn't fair, I didn't like it, but those were the only two options. It was time to stop hiding from the inevitable. There could only be one man in my life, and I had to choose him wisely.

Severus stroked my hair while I cried. After nearly an hour, my tears subsided.

"You may leave now, Evelyn. I trust you will make the right decision."

And I did. I made the right decision as a Pureblood, as a responsible girl, and as a mother.

---

I left my ring on Draco's night stand. I couldn't bear to face him.

The only thing I was brave enough to do was leave him a note:

Draco,

I cannot even begin to express my guilt and sorrow for everything I've put you through. But despite the wishes of my heart, I simply cannot live my mother's life anymore. If I stayed with you, I'd live my life in fear and secrecy like she did. The Dark Lord would take everything away from me. I couldn't stand not raising my son, I had to choose him. It's better this way. In the end, this will bring less heart ache for the both of us. I hope one day that you will understand. Just know that my love for you is never ending, and no one will ever take your place in my heart.

Yours forever,
Evelyn
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
XoXo Kate