Status: completed

Rebel Without a Cause Matt Sanders

Can you sing

He stood down the hall. My walk told people around I had a misson. The envelope Brian had given me was secure in my fingers. I licked my lips. A slight excitment coming over me. He was searching through his locker. I stood quietly until he noticed me.

Matt: what?

I handed him the envelope with his name on it. He hesitantly took it. I observed his facial expressions as he read the note. His eyes brightened up. He looked at me excitedly.

Matt: tonight?

I nodded. He scanned over it again.

Matt: but I can't get everything ready.

Melly: I'll see you tonight Matthew.

I walked out into the bar the guys were playing at. The dark walls made everything seem cloudy and dank. Danny was setting up. I played with the eyeliner in my hand.

Melly: ok Syn. Get over here so I can put your face on.

He slugged over. Planting his ass on a stool.

Brian: what are the odds he doesn't show.

Melly: none. To him this is to big an opportunity to miss.

The tip of the liner glided over his lids.

Brian: what are the odds only he shows up.

Melly: you got me there Brian.

He smiled a bit. He nodded a thanks and got up todo other things. Zacky sat himself on the stool. A huge grin on his face.

Zacky: do me next.

I rolled my eyes. A small smile on my lips.

Zacky: are you going to do me or what?

He handed me his make up. His hands wondered around my hips.

Zacky: so, when are you gonna come around?

He bit his plump bottom lip. I shook my head. He pouted a bit.

Zacky: its been like a week.

I held two fingers up. His eyes widened and he stood up.

Zacky: exactly! Do you know what my withdrawls have been like?!?!

I shurgged like I didn't care. But I did, how I loved to hear Zacky tell me how much he wanted and needed me.

Zacky: do you want to know?

I looked over my shoulder at him.

Zacky: I fuck these petty little girls. They throw themselves at me. Its like a never ending supply. And its good. Some never been used. Slutty, goodie two shoes, all kinds of girls. But they're lacking whatever it is you have.

I turned and stood so only a few inches were between us.

Melly: I know you Zacky. I know what you want when you want it.

He closed the gap. I did not let him kiss me. I held one finger against his lips. His eyes cried for me. How I loved that.

Melly: now Zacky you know better than to think you're going to get a kiss.

Zacky: its so good to hear you talking to me.

He said eyes closed.

Melly: damn right asshole.

He pressed his forehead against mine. His great green eyes gave me an unspoken apology. He knew it meant more to me than him saying it.

Zacky: Melly. Whether you want it or not. I am.

I closed my eyes for a second.

Zacky: I am.

I nodded slowly. He gave me a small smile.

Melly: alright Zacky. No more mushyness.

I let my tounge flick over his lips. Bottom to top. His eyes filled with excitement.

Melly: now go finish getting ready. I have a shit to take care of.

I playfully shoved him away. Seeing Matt walk in.

Melly: glad you could make it.

Matt: its not everyday I get to open up for a good band and get paid.

Melly: no its not. So where's your band?

Matt: getting their shit.

Melly: alright. Well have them set up. Warm up and whatever else you need to do. You have a twenty minute set. Do you have a set list?

Matt: yeah but I don't have it written down.

Melly: and why not?

Matt: I don't know.

Melly: better find a paper and get it down. There's no time for guessing what your next song will be. Twenty minutes may seem like a long time, but once you're up its like nothing. My boys arn't going to want to have their time cut because you don't have your shit together.

He nodded.

Melly: do you have everything you need?

Matt: I believe so.

Melly: you do or you don't. Not I believe so. I need to know, that way I can see if I can get what you need.

Matt: no, no we're good.

Melly: you sure.

Matt: yeah.

Melly: alright. So your set is twenty minutes long. Then we have ten minutes to get your shit off and ours on. How fast do your boys work?

Matt: we'll get it done.

Melly: that's what I like to hear. As far as pay, you get your cash after the show.

Matt: ok cool.

Melly: any questions?

Matt: any idea as to how many people are coming?

Melly: its a Friday and a bar. Make a guess. Anything else?

Matt: no.

Melly: if you need something I or Jenn will be around. Good?

I gave a thumbs up. He nodded. I stood at Jimmy's side. We watched Matt and his guys set up.

Jimmy: his band is pathetic. I don't usually talk like that but its true. Brian really wants that to open up for us.

Melly: you know he has a cruel way of doing things sometimes.

Jimmy: ha yeah. This should be good entertainment.

He laughed a bit.

Jimmy: ok Melly. I need hair done.

I nodded. The guys blood was pumping. It was only thirty minutes till they played. Me and Jenn were working the sound.

Matt: ok so we're ready.

Jenn: then what the fuck are you doing here. Get on the fucking stage and start.

Matt: just letting you know.

Jenn: we know by you walking on stage dumb shit.

Matt: sorry.

He made his way to the stage.

Jenn: what a dumbass. Seriously, has he liked never played a fucking show? Fucking Brian, he better be fucking amazing. Cause its obvious he isn't bringing brains to the group.

I laughed at her little rant.

Matt: so are all you ready for some good fuckin' music?

A few yeahs were heard.

Matt: come on, its a friday fuckin' night. I know you guys can give me a little more.

I perked a brow as I watched him. He strutted across the small stage area. A slight swagger to his walk. He spoke into the mic looking at the people in the bar. Working them into a music mood. I was impressed at how well he was with the crowd. His band members on the other hand. Danny was right. Lazy. Jimmy couldn't have said it better pathetic. The boy has talent but its wasting away.

Melly: he doesn't know what he's capable of.

I said more to myself.

Jenn: what?

Melly: oh just he's in a shitty band.

She nodded agreeingly. Why would he even bother with not even mediocore musicians. He knows they suck. We all do. I shook my head. What a disappointment. I really actually expected more from his band.

Jenn: dude just get them off now.

Brian: as much as we should we can't.

Jenn: come on. This is just sad.

Melly: yeah. Its like making me depressed.

Brian: no.

I pouted. Jenn just furrowed her brows and went back to watching them play.

Brian: letting them play, then watching us will make him realize his band sucks. And he'll want to play with us.

Melly: he already knows they suck. Just look at him.

Jenn: he tries extra hard to keep the crowd going.

Brian: and he is keeping them into it.

Jenn: well that doesn't make up for them sucking.

Danny: hey Syn. You need to start getting ready. You're on soon.

Brian gave a nod. Danny walked off todo more stuff.

Brian: time for me to get pumped.

I looked up at Brian.

Melly: Danny said he had some ideas to keep you pumped and help you with the show.

Brian: interesting. Jenn watch me play. I'll amaze you in ways you don't know baby.

Jenn: shut the fuck up and get out there.

He kissed her and left.

Melly: aww he likes you.

She smiled happily.

Matt: thanks you guys were great. Now its time for what you came here. The band with no name.

The crowd cheered. While Matt's guys started cleaning their stuff.

Matt: that's right. Those four talented guys. Johnny Christ, The Rev, Zacky Vengeance, and Syn Gates.

The crowd went crazy. I smiled. My boys were loved. They work hard and deserve the attention. Matt kept bullshitting the crowd. Danny had found some random dudes to help for the night. The kid had his shit together. Clean and organized.

Matt: so here they are...

He walked off while the others walked on. No talking just straight to playing.

Jenn: its gonna be a good show.

I nodded. Half way through the show I needed to talk to Matt. He was watching from the side. I slid a hand across his mid-back. He snapped his attention to me. I smiled.

Matt: this is awsome. I appriciate the invite.

Melly: I'm supposed to ask you a favor.

Matt: that being what?

Melly: sing a song.

Matt: what?

Melly: they want you to sing with them.

Matt: what? I don't know if-

Melly: they went on a limb to invite your band, the least you could do is sing a song with them.

He sat for a moment comtemplating.

Melly: look I need an answer.

Matt: yeah, I'll do it.

I smiled.

Melly: good...they'll call you on stage.

He nodded and I walked off. On my way back I made eye contact with Brian. I gave a nod and he smirked in response.

Brian: we have a guest singer for the next song. Matt...

He walked on. People cheered. Some looked skeptical. But as Matt's voice filled the room, accompanied by my very talented boys. The room went in awe. Brian gave me and Jenn a smirk of satisfaction.