How Dark Is the Night?

Surprise, Surprise

We both hurried upstairs and I arrived first in my bedroom. Brendon still had Erelin tied up. She looked at me funny.

“What did you do to piss her off?” I whispered to him.

“She woke up trying to break free. I tried to explain things to her. Then it was like she snapped back to her normal self but doesn’t believe she is a vampire.” Brendon said.

“Why am I tied up?” Erelin asked pissed.

“So you are back to yourself I hope?” I asked Erelin.

“What the hell is going on?” She asked. “Why am I tied up?” Erelin said giving Brendon a dirty look.

“Erelin, you don’t remember?” I asked at the end of the bed.

“Remember what? We are supposed to go out hunting to find out who bit Chrissy and Sam.” She replied. “Wait. Why do I feel funny?” She asked.

“Dear, let Amanda explain.” Brendon said sitting on the end of the bed.

“Erelin you are a vampire.” I said in all seriousness.

“That is what Brendon keeps telling me but that is ridiculous.” She replied. “Can you untie me?” Erelin asked still trying to break loose from the scarves.

I looked at Brendon and shrugged my shoulders. I went and untied Erelin. “You don’t remember being turned?” I asked confused.

Erelin went to sit up and Brendon went to block the door thinking she was going to bolt on us. When he saw she wasn’t, he sat back down. Erelin just gave a confused look.

“Erelin you and Pete were kidnapped by vampires tonight. Brendon felt you and I felt Pete die. Then, I woke up from a sleep to head outside to find Pete alive but not really. He was a vampire and he bit me. Brendon found me and soon after you arrived trying to bite us.” I said explaining things.

“I remember a bit now but not everything. Everything is fuzzy and…and I’m hungry.” She said sliding her fangs out.

“Erelin!” Brendon yelled snapping her back to herself.

“No. I am so sorry guys.” She said.

“Brendon run down to the kitchen counter and grab the blood off of it.” I said.

“Do you remember anything now?” I asked sitting on the bed.

“I’m scared to remember. I’m just hungry for blood and that sounds really gross but good at the same time.” She said.

“I brought some blood from a butcher. It should tide you over until Brendon can set you up with some packets from a hospital tomorrow night.” I replied. “Erelin you have to remember. Pete is downstairs with Kat watching him. He is unconscious. He took off after he bit me and we had to find him before he hurt someone else. Pete almost did until I got through to him once I found him. We need to know how you were turned and who did this to you.” I said.

“Here you go.” Brendon said passing her the brown bag that had the container of blood in it.
I turned as she drank. I looked at Brendon who shrugged his shoulders. When she was done she was ready to talk some more.

“Ok this is all new to me. I don’t like being this way. Why couldn’t you be the one turned again?” Erelin asked hurting Brendon’s feelings. He walked out.

“Erelin, that was low. He wanted to be. We were out numbered and they took you and Pete away from us so fast. It is eating him up inside right now seeing you like this. He told me several times he wished it was him tonight.” I said looking away from her.

“I’m sorry. I guess I should apologize to him. I know he’s hurting but I am in shock too. I don’t remember anything on how I got like this. Does that make me Kat’s watcher? That’s not happening.” Erelin said.

“No, you don’t have to be. I have to train her.” I said laughing. “But this does mean you can help and protect me.” I said grinning.

“Now why would I want to do that?” She asked joking.

“Look at it this way. We have an advantage on our side; two good vampires who are strong.” I said.

“Ooh and I can control Brendon if I bite him.” She said laughing.

“Just be careful on that one. But seriously let Brendon help you with your powers and explain things to you. He has been there and done that. You don’t realize everything you can do.” I said.

“Ooh I can pop into his dreams and drive him insane.” She said smiling.

“Okay enough with the ideas.” I said laughing.

I got off the bed and yelled down the hallway for Brendon. He came back in the room sort of dejected. I gave him a hug and told him Erelin had something to say.

“Brendon, I am sorry for what I said. I love you with all my heart. I know you would have replaced me if you could. It is just going to take some used to being a vampire and drinking blood.” She said motioning for Brendon to come closer to her. She pulled him into a long kiss.

“It is alright. I love you too and am glad you came back to me.” He said returning her kiss.

“Can you teach me all about my abilities?” She asked.

“Anything you want to know.” He said hugging her.

“Aww I am so glad you two made up.” I said crashing on them and hugging them.

“So how am I going to remember what happened to me?” She asked.

“I may have an idea. Pete showed me his memories on how he first became a vampire as I am sure Brendon has done for you. Try that but try concentrating on something and focusing on that.” I said watching her take Brendon’s hands and then the both of them try to relax.

“I see Pete. That’s it!” She said breaking away from Brendon. Apparently Brendon saw whatever she remembered.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Pete loves you Amanda. He stayed behind to save you and he tried to save me. He wanted to become a vampire to protect you. Pete knew the risks he tried to buy me time to escape but I was caught. We were of all things in the mansion we killed Dracula in. That is their hangout.” Erelin replied.

“That can’t be. You see I was there after I thought I lost Pete. The lights were off and no one was home.” I said confused.

“Well, they must have gone hunting for humans because this new boss lives there.” Erelin said.

Then Erelin told me everything she remembered that happened to her after she woke up from being kidnapped. She told us how she was turned and how Pete thought about protecting me. He tried to save Erelin but failed. It wasn’t his fault though and she doesn’t blame him. She told of how she fought hard not to drink the vampire’s blood but was forced and what happened when she woke up as a vampire.

Erelin was dumped somewhere in an alley away from Pete. She was scared, confused and craving blood. All she knew was that she had to come here but didn’t know why. She couldn’t remember anything. When Brendon hit her over the head it jarred her memory but not as a vampire. She only remembered before she was kidnapped.

“Is Pete going to be alright?” Erelin asked.

“Yeah, I think so.” I said feeling hurt.

“Amanda, are you blaming yourself for what happened?” Brendon asked. “Don’t.” He replied.

“Look who is talking. My husband is a vampire who is not like he was before. I’m scared. He did this to protect me? What was this; his plan all along to become a vampire again once he found out there were more? Why would he do this to me?” I said getting up.

“Amanda, he wants to keep you safe. He thought it was the only way. You aren’t the slayer anymore. What if you got hurt?” Erelin asked.

“So what if I did? I know the risks. I also know I can’t stand by and watch innocent people get hurt knowing everything I do.” I replied.

“I will never hear is heartbeat again or his warmth. I will never see his smile next to mine in a mirror.” I whispered. “I think I am going to be sick.” I said running into the bathroom.

“Brendon, is she alright?” I heard Erelin ask through the door.

“I think it is her nerves. You want to go home, now? I think we should leave Amanda and Pete alone.” He said. We can start your training tomorrow since you can’t go out in the light anymore and I thought me and you can talk about your situation.” He added.
“Are you sure we should leave her with him? What if he doesn’t remember and attacks her?” Erelin asked.

“Kat is here.” Brendon said reminding Erelin.

I came out of the bathroom to see Brendon and Erelin get up off the bed and hug me. “We are going back to our place to daylight proof it. We think we should leave you and Pete alone.” Brendon said hugging me.

“Thanks. You two just be careful.” I said hugging Brendon back.

“Brendon, can you go ahead to the car? I need to talk to Amanda alone a second.

“Sure.” He said leaving my room.

“Are you feeling alright? You look kind of pale. I’m sensing something isn’t right.” Erelin said concerned.
“Blasted vampire sense.” I said joking. “I’m fine. I think it is just my nerves from all the stress and worry and maybe a bug.” I said smiling.

“Alright for a minute I thought you might be pregnant.” She said laughing and hugging me goodbye.

“You be good to Brendon. And we will call everyone tomorrow. They don’t know yet you are kind of alive but they were coming over tomorrow to search for you anyhow so I will call in the morning.” I said following Erelin downstairs.

“Try and get some sleep. Pete and I are here to kick some vampire ass now that I have all this strength. It is totally cool. Do you think I will wear Brendon out?” Erelin asked joking.

“Go home to your husband who has been so worried. Night, Erelin.” I said shutting the door behind her.

“Could I really be pregnant? I mean I know I’m late but I don't know. Could I be carrying a little boy or girl?” I thought rubbing my stomach.

“Kat you can go upstairs now or you can watch tv in my room. I am staying beside Pete in case he wakes up.” I said sitting on the floor in front of the couch Pete was on.

“Alright, goodnight.” She said heading upstairs.

If I am carrying mine and Pete’s child what do I do now? Do I raise it with Pete? Or do I want to do it as a single mom? Right now with the way Pete is I am confused on what to do. If Pete wasn’t a vampire I would raise it with him because he is my husband and the father. Why now of all things?

“How do I carry a child with vampires running around? I wish my mother was here. She carried me and fought vampires as the slayer. She would know what to do.” I said aloud before falling asleep with my head on Pete’s arm.