How Dark Is the Night?

Happy Thanksgiving

We got into Joe’s car and I snuggled up against Pete. My body was so tired. I was exhausted. I needed to rest but I felt that if I closed my eyes, Pete would disappear.

“Pete, how did you not turn into dust? How are you human? I thought you fell into a deep sleep or something.” I said yawning.

“I will tell you when we get some sleep. You have been through a lot. You even had a transfusion which I am surprised at how you made it here.” Pete said rubbing my neck where Volkmar bit me.

I rubbed my neck there too and felt that it had healed. My leg had healed where the doctors had apparently cut my pants leg off up to a point to treat the wound finally and all that left was for this chic to fall asleep and rest. My body ached for it. Every muscle and bone had been overworked and I needed to heal myself as a whole.

“If I fall asleep you will be here beside me when I wake up?” I asked.

“Absolutely.” Pete said kissing my forehead as I drifted off to sleep.

“Mom? Dad?” I said looking around a house that seemed familiar. It was familiar because it was the place whereI grew up for six years of my life. I was dreaming again.

“In here.” I heard my mother say. I followed her voice to my old bedroom. Suddenly I was not 25; I was six again only I knew everything.

“Hi, sweetie.” My mother said with her arms wide open.

“Mom!” I said running into her arms.

“I am so proud of you. I always will be. I knew you could do it. Just remember you can do anything. I love you.” She said hugging me.

“I love you too, mom.” I said.

When I stepped back from her, I became myself again. I miss being a child. I did not have to worry about anything.

“So, my granddaughter is going to be named Alexandra.” She said sitting on my bed and patting it for me to site beside her.

“Yes.” I said chatting as if this was normal.

“You and Pete will have another.” Mom said.

“Mom.” I said.

“What? It’s true.” Mom replied smiling.

“Wait, I rememeber now. I had a dream with Alexandra playing with a boy. She said his name was Will. Is he going to be mine?” I asked.

“Oh, honey. You will see in time. Our slayer clan will grow. You all will make me proud.” Mom said.

“Wait, what do you mean our slayer clan will grow? Is this not over? Are there still more vampires?” I asked.

“I meant that we are slayers. Even though our work is done, it is in our blood. There is no denying that. It was in your veins when you were born. It will be in your children’s veins and so on. Just live, your life is what I meant and be happy with your children. I do want to see those grandchildren.” Mom said smiling at me.

“I baked some cookies. They are your favorite.” She said getting up and leading me into the kitchen.

I saw Pete sitting there in a kitchen chair smiling awkwardly at me. “Are you real or am I dreaming you?” I whispered as I sat beside him.

“No, I am real. You didn’t dream me up, I popped in here somehow.” Pete said.

“Oh.” I said as if this dream could get any weirder.

“Cookies?” My mom asked handing out a tray full of chocholate chip cookies.
I took several and they tasted just like mom’s homemade ones. I elbowed Pete to take a few. He smiled and took some.

“So, you are my son-in-law I finally get to meet and have a one on one with. I have to say that you were not exactly whom I had in mind for my daughter. You seem to make her happy and she can’t live without you.” Mom said making Pete feel uncomfortable.

“See, I watch and I talk with Amanda when I could to tell her things. I do not like that, you hurt her but I understand why you felt you had to and I am grateful. If Volkmar had gotten ahold of you, Amanda like he had planned, bad things would have happened. He wanted to turn you Amanda but he was going to make you suffer.

First, of course Alexandra would not have had the chance to be born. Second, he was going to make you watch your friends die painfully and slowly. Third, he was going to torture you and mess with your mind. Pete saw all this in a dream. He was connected to Volkmar’s thoughts and that is how he saw all this. He held this in to protect you and not make you worry as much. The doctor had said you needed no stress in order to keep Alexandra safe after your scare. Pete came up with a plan which worked to trick Volkmar because he figured that by the one you love betraying you would break you faster.” Mom explained.

“You don’t know what it was like to see the things he had planned and then him carry them out in my dreams. It frightened me and scared me. I had to act fast and stop him. He was going to ambush us the next night and I had no chance to stop him if that had happened.” Pete said looking down.

“I am not proud at what I did to you.” Pete said as I grabbed his right hand.

“Hey, I forgave you.” I said.

“I know but it still hurts me that I caused you pain.” Pete said not looking at me.

“Hey, it’s over. You saved my life. In fact, you saved everyone’s life. For that I am grateful.” I said reaching over to kiss Pete’s cheek.

“Pete you are going to have a challenge on your hands.” Mom said in all seriousness.

“Oh?” He said looking up at mom.

“You are going to have two girls to deal with now.” Mom said laughing.

“You had me worried there for a second.” He said easing up a bit.

“Don’t be so nervous. Mom likes you.” I said in Pete’s ear.

“You just better take good care of my daughter and granddaughter. Raising a child is a huge responsibility. I know that you both will do well.” Mom said eating a cookie.

“What if I am not a good enough mother?” I asked worried.

“Nonsense you will make an excellent mother. You will teach her everything she knows. And you, Pete, let Alex date whoever. She will learn from her mistakes, whether it be a Hurley, Urie, or a Trohman.” Mom said laughing as Pete slouched in his chair.

“So you know how I feel about that. Great.” Pete said turning red.

“I know you two will have your ups and downs but love is all you need.” Mom said getting up.

“Where’s dad?” I asked.

“He wanted to be here sweetie but he couldn’t, only me. He told me a lot about you, though, Pete. Do not let me down. Now give me a hug.” Mom said as Pete got up and hugged her.

I hugged her too and as she let go she turned to Pete and said, “Your friends will forgive you. Yes, they will be hurt but they will understand why you did what you did. So don’t worry. Besides, before you, I had a nice long chat with your friend Brendon before he became human again. He will be filling everyone in on what happened.” Mom replied.

“Why do I get the feeling you aren’t telling me something?” I asked knowing mom was keeping something from me.

“No, nothing dear.” She replied with a guilty look on her face.

“Wait, how did you get into Brendon’s dreams?” Pete asked.

“I am in yours and Amanda’s aren’t I?” She said.

“True.” Pete said giving me an “I don’t buy it” look.

“I have to go. I wish I didn’t have to.” She said pulling Pete and I close to her and hugging us again.

“I wish you could stay with me forever.” I said.

“I am, in your heart, dear. Besides, we will see each other one day again.” Mom replied.

I smiled and took Pete’s hand. I awoke to find myself in my bed, and not in my bed at Patrick’s but my bed in the house, I share with Pete. Pete woke up beside me at the same time as me.

“Well, I think that went well in meeting your mother.” Pete grinned.

“I guess.” I said.

“How are you feeling?” He asked concerned.

“Better. I feel refreshed and hungry.” I said as my stomach rumbled with Pete laughing at me.

I heard laughter downstairs. “Come on lets shower then see what all the commotion is about.” Pete said taking my hand.

We showered and changed then walked hand in hand together downstairs. What we saw amazed us. Everyone was over and there were extra tables and chairs set up. There was food galore.

“Happy Thanksgiving!” Everyone shouted to us.