How Dark Is the Night?

Family

“What is all this?” I asked surprised and happy at the same time.

“I cooked all day just for you and Pete after the battle even though I was so beat and wore out.” Sam said smiling.

“It’s true.” Patrick grinned, standing behind Sam squeezing her tight.

“Brendon? Erelin? You guys are all ok?” I asked hugging them.

“Yeah, we made it home and fell asleep dreaming of one another.” Brendon smiled as we hugged.

“Then we woke up breathing again. He is used to it, but for me it felt weird.” Erelin said as we hugged.

“That is not all you dreamed about.” I whispered into Brendon’s ear.

“What?” He asked innocently.

“We need to talk later.” I replied.

“About what?” He asked.

“Oh, I don’t know, like what my mother said to you in one of your dreams. Does that ring a bell?” I asked as he squirmed a bit before walking over to Joe to talk to him.

“What’s wrong?” Erelin asked.

“Nothing.” I said lying. I wanted to know why my mom had to talk to Brendon.

Everything felt right and I felt safe now, but that was just it. It was for the moment. I felt the same. I did not feel normal. I felt refreshed, healed and rested but maybe I was just being paranoid.

“Kat and Micah, you made it.” I said making my way over to them.

“Yes. We had to be here to celebrate and know that you were ok.” Micah said as he hugged me.

“Yeah you beat Volkmar.” Kat said.

“Well, maybe so, but we all did. Everyone had a hand in it.” I said knowing that it was true. Without my friends, I would be nothing because they are what keep me going.

“I am beginning to think that your mom is right.” Pete said pulling me aside.

“What was she right about?” I asked.

“Everyone is trying to tolerate me but I think they are starting to forgive me.” Pete said looking down.

“Pete, I would like to say something on behalf of everyone.” Patrick said.

“Thank you for being you. You can be a pain in the ass but you are still our friend. The end.” He added causing me to laugh.

“Uh, thanks?” Pete asked unsure if that meant he was back in the group again.

“Oh, come here you!” Bev said running over to him to give him a hug. Everyone else followed.

“Ok, let’s say a prayer and then eat.” Sam said. “I don’t know about you guys but I slaved over the stove and everything. I am hungry.” She said with all of us laughing.

After we ate, Joe, Patrick, and Andy were all over on the couch playing guitar hero. I went to help pick up the dishes but the girls stopped me.

“Let us take care of this. You just recooperated from a long ordeal and saved our lives. Now shoo!” Chrissy demanded.

“Uh, ok.” I said as they pushed me out of my own kitchen.
I walked over to Brendon who was anxious to get a turn soon on guitar hero.

“Ahem.” I said tapping his shoulder.

“What? Can’t you see I am patiently waiting for my turn?” He asked.

“Oh don’t make me call your wife over here.” I said threatening.

“Guys, I shall return.” Brendon said getting up defeated.

“Don’t worry, Brendon, I shall keep your spot warm!” Pete said laughing as he took Brendon’s turn.

We walked outside to the patio and shut the sliding doors. I looked around the place. I had not been here in awhile and yet in a day, my friends managed to cook, clean, and tidy up my home. The pool even looked clean.

I stared at the water for a minute. Then, I snapped into memory mode. I remembered Volkmar stabbing me and sending me flying into glass and into a pool where I started to drown. I almost gave up until Pete jumped in and saved me, showing me he still cared.

“Amanda? Yo, earth to Amanda?” Brendon said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Huh, what, I am sorry.” I replied suddenly being chilled.

“Hey, you are shivering. Are you sure this is the right spot to talk?” Brendon asked.

“I’m fine. Thanks for worrying.” I smiled as we walked to a bench and sat down.

“Mom visited me and Pete in our dreams. She said that she had talked to you. Why?” I asked.

“Amanda, it isn’t anything you need to worry about. I promised your mother something and she told me not to tell you.” Brendon said.

“That is what makes me worry.” I replied sighing.

“Hey, no worries. Worrying causes stress and that is something you don’t need for the baby right now.” He replied and I knew he was right.

“I know you are keeping something from me Brendon just as I knew she was hiding something from me in my dream. If you are protecting me from something, I think I can handle it.” I said looking at Brendon.

“Amanda, I wish I could tell you but I can’t. I promised your mother. Just trust me that everything will work out.” Brendon said grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

“I hope you are right.” I replied.

“There is my husband!” Erelin said coming outside and sitting beside Brendon on the bench. “What are you guys talking about?” She asked.

“I have no…” I was about to finish with clue before Brendon chimed in with, “We were talking about the battle and how glad we are that it is over.” Brendon said nodding at me that he did not want Erelin to know either that he was keeping something.

“Oh, well, there is this game called guitar hero that everyone is now playing and I thought that we could you know duel?” She said nonchalantly.

“Is that so?” He said kissing her.

“Yeah.” She replied wrapping her arms around Brendon’s neck.

“You do realize what happened last time, don’t you?” Brendon asked.

“Yes. I won a house we are supposed to go hunting for and you running around almost naked proclaiming that I am the champ.” Erelin said giggling.

“The things I do for love.” He said getting up.

“Amanda, are you coming?” Erelin asked as she stood up.

“No. I think I just want to sit here under the stars for a bit. I haven’t been able to do that for awhile.” I replied.

“Oh, ok.” Erelin said as they began to walk into the house.

Is everything back to normal? Am I normal? I do not want to forget what I am and bury my powers again as I did before if this is not over. What did my mother mean by our slayer clan will grow? I know there was a double meaning in there somewhere. Why would she need to talk to Brendon for and tell him to keep it a secret from me? I just do not understand.

“Hey, babe.” Pete said as I looked up.

“Are you ok? You look cold.” Pete said sitting beside me.

“I am fine now that you are here.” I said snuggling up on him on the bench.

We just sat there for a while and looked at the stars. It was a beautiful sky. He held me tight and I just smiled. I guess I should just be thankful that I am alive and that I have a family. Why should I worry?