How Dark Is the Night?

Things Revealed

I woke up in a sweat. Pete was not beside me when I rolled over. I had a nightmare that I was running in some woods from someone I couldn’t see. I think my mind was playing tricks on me with all of the confusion going around.

I looked at the clock to see that it was seven am. I got up and laid some clothes out to wear for today and then went to take a shower. I wish that this was all a big nightmare and that any minute I would wake up to find that Pete and I are on our honeymoon.

After I finished getting dressed, I headed downstairs to find Pete on his laptop. Here comes round two of him trying to warn his fans I guess of the dangers they are in. Pete saw me and got up off the couch to greet me.

“Hey, love. How did you sleep?” He asked giving me a huge passionate kiss.

“Fine I guess.” I said not wanting to worry Pete over a silly dream. That was all it was; a regular nightmare.

“Kat is still sleeping.” Pete said walking back to the couch.

“Yeah, about Kat, I got up to check on her and she talked in her sleep last night.” I said sitting down on the couch beside Pete.

“Oh?” He asked.

“She mumbled and talked like she was talking to someone close to her maybe someone like Nick.” I said not sure how he would react.

“Nick? Like your ex, Nick?” Pete asked shocked.

“Well, I don’t know exactly but he has come in our dreams before and she is the new slayer according to her. Maybe it isn’t him.” I said confused myself.

“Wait, he told me and Brendon we would die when you killed Dracula and warned you so how could he be in her dreams. She wouldn’t know him. Or maybe she knew a Nick or something. I think you may be worried over nothing. Besides I didn’t die really. He was wrong on that one. Nick is gone. He said what he needed to say and is at peace I guess.”
Pete said trying to analyze the situation.

Just then a sleepy Kat came downstairs. “Good morning. Do you mind if I grab some breakfast?” She asked walking in the kitchen.

“Sure. Then you are going to explain things as soon as Erelin and Brendon get here.” I said.

“Now, from your journals I skimmed through them and that’s why I got a little confused and missed some things like you not being a vampire again. So when you say Erelin and Brendon, was Brendon a good vampire too? I remember them from the journals but I’m not sure if he’s like Pete now or still a vampire.” Kat said grabbing some cereal.

“Brendon was a vampire and now he isn’t so don’t go and try to stake him like you did with Pete.” I said warning her.

“At least you are talking to me nicer.” Kat said.

“Only because I have to.” I said looking over at Pete who was giving me glances.
Then the doorbell rang and I let Erelin and Brendon in.

“Good news. They are going to let Sam and Chrissy go home but that is not going to let them out of the woods yet until we find out who bit them.” Erelin said as she walked in the front door.

“Wow, Pete this place is great now that you two have it all fixed up.” Brendon said.

“Oh my!” Kat said running over to Brendon and hugging him with him in shock. “You are more handsome in person.” She said stepping back.

“See, told ya but you wouldn’t believe me.” I whispered to Erelin who smacked the back of Brendon’s head slightly to warn him to stay away from Kat.

“Hey!” He said walking away from Erelin and sitting in a chair.

“Erelin, I think we should all patrol tonight. Pete and I will call Joe and Bev and see if they can split up for the night. That way we can have two people guarding Sam and two for Chrissy. And fill them in on what is up with her.” I said pointing to Kat who seemed smitten with Brendon.

“Uh, Kat is it?” Erelin asked.

“Yes?” Kat replied.

“Do you see this?” Erelin said flashing off her rock on her hand. “Don’t even try to mess with my husband. I don’t care if you are a year older than me or that you are the slayer but I want you to know I will hurt you if you try anything. Do I make myself clear?” Erelin demanded sitting next to me on the couch.

“Perfectly.” Kat said sitting down away from Brendon who looked at Pete with a funny look.

I gave a high five to Erelin. Pete just calmly put his hand on my leg letting me know to calm down. And he was right in that I needed to. We were distracting ourselves of finding out what is going on.

“Ok, Kat, why don’t you tell us why you are here and why I am not the slayer but a watcher now.” I said.

“Ok, the night you defeated Dracula I was just coming out of the movies with my friends. I lived in New York City. We made it to the car and I suddenly fell to the ground feeling some pain in my stomach. When I got up it was like a memory overload. I suddenly knew there were vampires and my watcher found me as I dropped off my last friend for the night. I didn’t want to tell them and they think I was crazy for what had just occurred. My watcher was a vampire but she was good. Her name was Elise and I did know her. She had been a teacher of mine in high school who told me I could achieve anything if I just put my mind to it. She thought I would go to college and change the world. Little did she know at that time however though, that I would be saving people in this world, today.” Kat started to explain.

“So did Elise know about me?” I asked.

“Yes.” Kat said.

“She just knew and she explained things to me. But she told me that I needed to find you and that you would take over as my watcher.” Kat said.

“Why me? I mean why couldn’t she handle it? I’m not dead. I thought only watchers were vampires with souls.” I asked curiously.

“Technically yes she could but you see you killed Dracula. You killed all of his cliques which I will explain in a second. But even though you aren’t dead you have the expertise. I need you to teach me all your fighting skills. I still have a lot to learn.” Kat said.

“Oh, believe me you got that right.” I said.

“Please, continue, Kat.” Pete said giving me a play nice look.

“Well you are like a legend, Amanda, and your friends too. After reading your journal entries and knowing what you went through I want to be like you. You cheated death. When one slayer dies another is chosen is how it goes. You died even for a few seconds but were brought back. I was called after you defeated Dracula to give you a break. You were able to be normal again and have your happy ending. Don’t you see? No slayer has done what you have done. You took down Dracula, a major vampire and lived.” Kat said proudly.

“So basically I was stripped of my powers and made to believe everything was peachy. How is that living a normal life? Everything was a lie? I was told in a dream that if I killed Dracula all vampires will die.” I said. “So what gives?” I added.

“I will get to that Amanda.” Kat said.

“Ok, so tell us why your watcher sent you here already.” Brendon said cutting in. “I wanted my happy ending too. And as an ex watcher of Amanda’s I guess now seeing as she is no longer the slayer, I have a right to be concerned as why she has to train you. She is my best friend and I don’t want her getting hurt.” Brendon said taking up for me which caused Erelin to walk over to him and give him a huge kiss.

“The truth is my watcher knew something was up. We don’t know who this big vampire is exactly. All I do know is that according to Elise he was coming here to L.A. She told me to find you that you would prepare me and train me. You would know what to do. And to get to the point, Elise, my watcher is dead.” Kat said starting to break down.